RAGE : It Deserves its own thread now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was considering that pennies a disk at millions of disks adds up quite a bit, and if such a game will only require a third disk because "developers lose upwards of 2 gigs of space per a disc because of information Microsoft requires developers to put on the discs" then I can see why they would want to persuade MS into covering that cost. After all, that alone makes their engine less atractive to license, where as the extra development costs put into optimizing their engine for the PS3 does the opposite.

However, having seen the acutal interview on 1up now, I see he does specificly mention "an extra licensing fee per-disk".

He mentioned that at quakecon2008 keynote speech very clearly ;)

Think they've been linked already. They're clearly not console realtime images as they're oversized. Might well be in-engine renders on PC.

I don't want to nitpick, but consoles can render such high res shots just as well.

True enough. Is 2560x1600 a print resolution though? I assumed it was a PC output as this is a PC monitor resolution. I don't know what resolution magazines ideally want.

Maybe Id could allow users to DL an update "high quality texture pack" or offer it in collectors special edition version? I feel dirty for suggesting these....

Hi,

nobody wondering why there is no high definition direct footage QuakeCon 2008 or E3 2008 trailer for RAGE availabe for download, yet? There are only cam videos from these two trailers. But no direct ones in 720p. There are even direct 720p trailers for the new Wolfenstein game and Quake Live, too. Isn't it very likely that they have those two trailers for RAGE, as they were showing it at QuakeCon 2008 and E3 2008? There even has been a similar trailer at QuakeCon 2007. But there are only cam videos from this one, too.

Why don't they release those trailers in direct high definition quality? Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are two concept arts of RAGE, posted in a forum by its creator:
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=133406

rage01.jpg

rage02.jpg

I love the second one a lot ! Please remeber only the first two images are for RAGE.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Carmack has an interview at Toms hardware where he clarifies a couple things:

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/08/07/carmack_interview/

TG: But you also said that Rage will look a lot better on the PS3.

JOHN CARMACK: Well, "a lot better" may be stretching it. All of the key scenes, the things anyone is going to take a screenshot of are going to look exactly the same on both platforms. They'll get the high quality compression. But if you go into some areas in the wasteland, like behind a fence where nobody will typically go and explore, this is where the 360 version may look a little blurry compared to the PS3.

And

TG: You also talked about putting the 360 version of Rage on three DVDs but said that it would be too expensive because of royalty costs. Have you talked to Microsoft about this?

JOHN CARMACK: We're pretty much resigned to the fact that we're going to make it fit onto two DVDs on the 360. Plus there would be a lot of disc switching if we went to three DVDs, and since the game is split between two different wasteland environments, two DVDs should work well. That's the only thing the PS3 has going for it over the 360 - more gigs.

Sounds like it will be two DVD's even IF MS compromises..

So, there are two wasteland environments........Maybe it connects with the two concept art images above. So, we have seen one of the wastelands and the other one is the urban wasteland in the concept art I guess..

I hope they add Fsaa for the 360 version of the game. Though depending on when this comes out I will grab a new video card (or perhaps a full pc) and play it on that

it looks insane until the racing part begins. There is no sense of weight or suspension, and the surface feels flat.

Rage Held Back By Xbox 360's Limits

"The PC is limitless in the amount of data you can put on it," said Willits. "The PS3 has about 25GB. But the Xbox 360 roughly has 6 to 8 GB of data. We're hoping we can squeeze the game down to two discs for the 360 version."

According to Willits, the game was supposed to feature several wastelands for the player to explore. Because of the limitations of the Xbox 360's media, they had to cut down the wastelands to only two, which are themselves split into multiple instances. These changes have been made across all versions of Rage, not just the 360 port.

"I wouldn't say the overall story was changed in any way in order to fit on the Xbox 360 version," Willits said, "but how the player experiences Rage's story has been altered." Unfortunately, that means the experience has been altered across all platforms. This is one of the first signs we've received of the 360's older DVD media showing its age, but we expect some fans won't be terribly pleased that it's affecting other versions of the game as well

picardmv3.jpg

Fucking hell id. If it was the PS3 holding the game back, they would no doubt make it the inferior version and let the others keep the "extra".

If only they'd stop this parity crap, I really don't want any games neither 360 nor PS3 nor Wii to be held back because of another system. That doesn't mean I don't want commitment to each platform for multi-plat games; I just want them to use the consoles the best they can.

Also, news like this screams for reserving exclusivity. Someone should act. Maybe Sony.

Fucking hell id. If it was the PS3 holding the game back, they would no doubt make it the inferior version and let the others keep the "extra".

If only they'd stop this parity crap, I really don't want any games neither 360 nor PS3 nor Wii to be held back because of another system. That doesn't mean I don't want commitment to each platform for multi-plat games; I just want them to use the consoles the best they can.

Also, news like this screams for reserving exclusivity. Someone should act. Maybe Sony.

Sony, the one that has been saying 'the age of the third-party exclusive is over'?

Note that this may be a blessing in disguise: id's previous games didn't have a great sense of pacing, often dragging on for longer than they should. Maybe this'll teach them to focus, put all those designers they supposedly picked up to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back