RAGE : It Deserves its own thread now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from the visuals, I don't understand the game! Is it a racer? What's with the 'orcs'? I probably ought to check out some more movies.

I think it's the Hills Have Eyes combined with the Road Warrior. Basically Fallout?

There are both fps and racing segments, from everything I've read. I think the vid looks great, but the only thing I noticed was the physics on the cars being a little sparse. When the cars land after a jump, they look weightless. It doesn't look like there's an impact because the shocks on the buggies don't compress.

Looking forward to this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the new trailer from Comicon shows weapons mounted on your buggies ! Some futuristic RoadRage..! and some Chinese music too ;) !

EDIT: Oops! didn't see the posts above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any direct feed images and videos anywhere?

It looks way too good. I doubt the PS3 or the 360 can do this visuals just as good btw

man, after playing MGS4 nothing amazes me anymore concerning the potential of current consoles. And considering ID are among the best developers around i'm pretty sure they'll deliver.

JC says engine development has not been finished yet.. There are still some kinks to iron out, but he said they are getting closer to crunch time mile-stone :) I think we will have something playable in the next Quakecon and probably in our hands at the end of next year.

Btw, they did not announce any company that bought a licence from them, but he did say that a number of ppl outside ID are playing with the engine now.

Good to know that Blu-ray brings economic benefits to developers and publishers too, not just Sony itself. Delivering PC games on Blu-ray is also a credible endorsement of the nextgen optical disc format.

The only question remaining for me is how well it plays.

LBP is about as hand-in-hand engine and content development as you can get. They even share meetings. Whenever the engine guys come up with something new they get the level designers see what they can come up with and provide feedback etc, and the other way around if the level designers think of something new that would work really well they go to the engine guys to see if it can be added.
There'll always be some of that. I can't imagine any developer creating an engine and then leaving it untouched from that point to the game's completion as the content is created! I think the difference is how much up-front engine work is done before the game proper, that a full-realized game engine can be (and in this case was, I think) complete and then the game is made using it. Think UE3 and a 3rd party UE3 game - the engine was finished before the game, the crew buy the engine and create assets, tweaking the engine as they go. In this case Tech 5 is the engine, completed and 'bought in' for the game to me made with it.

I can't actually be sure that happened though ;)

It looks quite good, but we definitely need some direct feed video, as these camera videos always tend to look better than the 'real thing'.
In fact I'm thinking about how to simulate the same effect as in game post processing effect :)

and call it Screen Space Vaseline Effect :p

I think he prefers the symmetric core architecture because the programming model is simpler, plus more available memory due to the smaller 360 OS. :)

Cell is more difficult to program but has higher performance if you hand optimize for the hardware. Don't know the latest status for OS memory footprint, but I wonder how well PlayTV, YouTube capture and stuff work under heavy load in a Rage game.

The big question is if this game is going to be, you know, good. id farming out its games hasn't worked that great for them, but then the last FPS they made wasn't that spectacular gameplay-wise either. Though maybe we'll return to the day of games being made on an id engine.

I've heard he likes the tools and thus the development environment more, this doesn't mean the hardware is superior. If PS3 were as easy to program as the 360, you'd see devs singing it's praises from the rooftops.

He specifically says in some aspects they are equal and in some others 360 is simply better and he was not talking about tools/development environment at all. And, then he gave the credit to Sony about Bluray. :)

He specifically says in some aspects they are equal and in some others 360 is simply better and he was not talking about tools/development environment at all. And, then he gave the credit to Sony about Bluray. :)

The thing about Carmack is that he is very good at PR, which is surprising for a tech-head. So you can count on his statements being better at hyping up whatever's good in his next project rather than giving the pure, unfiltered truth about graphics development most of us seem to expect. Not saying that he's the only one, naturally, but the usual PR caveats do apply.

the "orcs" are probably some genetics mutations due to radiation.
Or Satan (knowing iD). :)

obonicus said:
The thing about Carmack is that he is very good at PR, which is surprising for a tech-head. So you can count on his statements being better at hyping up whatever's good in his next project rather than giving the pure, unfiltered truth about graphics development most of us seem to expect. Not saying that he's the only one, naturally, but the usual PR caveats do apply.
I disagree. Everything I've ever heard JC say over the years has been the antithesis of PR and hype. It seems to me that he almost always gives his honest opinion on things, even when he probably shouldn't.

Kotaku has a thing about the dvd problem.

Some parts.

http://kotaku.com/5031985/rage-and-ids-lovehate-relationship-with-the-ps3
"We have concerns (about the 360 version of Rage) because of the economics of the platform in terms of what it costs to go to multiple discs," Hollenshead said. "There is disc space issue on the 360, and if we cant find a clever way or compromise with Microsoft to address that issue... even though we feel the 360 has superior hardware, the size limitations may mean that we may not have as much texture density or resolution on the 360 version.
"Today we are saying that Rage may look better on the PS3 than the 360," he pointed out.
"I think the blu-ray strategy and some of the other things they’ve done in terms how (the PS3) is positioned as a home entertainment device, shows that (Sony) is placing their bet on the PS3 as a marathon runner not a sprint and Microsoft was a little more focused on the short term goals."

Storage, and Microsoft's early insistence that the Xbox 360 wasn't going to run into issues with its DVD-based games, is a key win for Sony, he said.

"As soon as you start saying you have enough memory, you better hide and watch brother."

Yeah, here are two screenshots. Still good but nothing unbelievable.

Not too shabby. Those are resolutions far above the consoles, but if that is the expected IQ that is impressive, especially for a 60fps game. I wonder if the megatextures allows them to have a larger budget for shadow maps? Oddly the one thing that has stuck out (besides the grating art direction) is the motion. Sure, it is 60fps, but what catches the eye is how things move nicely. I won't get my expectations too high for this to translate into gameplay.

I disagree. Everything I've ever heard JC say over the years has been the antithesis of PR and hype. It seems to me that he almost always gives his honest opinion on things, even when he probably shouldn't.

I suppose it's a matter of perception.

Kotaku has a thing about the dvd problem.

I wonder why it costs so much to go multiple discs. It can't be the physical costs, should be just pennies for that. Maybe Microsoft is trying to discourage 3+ discs so they are slapping on hefty fees for it? It's awesome that Carmack calls them on it though. Ahhh, the benefits of having already become a millionaire and not having to suck up to anyone :) The entire problem could be solved though if Microsoft would just stop raping people on hard drive prices.

Maybe this has been mentioned earlier, but on the PS3 version, is the blu-ray drive fast enough to avoid pop in on a mega texture game, or does part/all of the data have to be installed on the hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back