LucidLogix Hydra, madness?

Huh, I'm surprised it's actually real and works as well as it does (even if it's not all peaches and cream). I wonder what the limitations are and why ATI and Nvidia's R&D haven't figured out something similar.

No AFR is good enough for me, even at 50% scaling. Don't need different versions or different generational support.

Wouldn't this ask for trouble when it comes to the differences in IQ output?

That being said, looks pretty impressive so far. Not just the scaling of the cards but the thought of running my primary monitor with my main power hungry card (since it will downclock now!) and secondary monitor with a low end secondary GPU sounds good to me.

80% scaling and no AFR? I´m sold...

Its made the current implementations of SLI and Crossfire completely redundant as far as I'm concerned. Better than 50% scaling with identical cards without AFR was all I needed to be on board, they've delivered a lot more than that. Still a lot of potential for improvement but those early results are better than I could have hoped for. Thumbs up!

Its made the current implementations of SLI and Crossfire completely redundant as far as I'm concerned. Better than 50% scaling with identical cards without AFR was all I needed to be on board, they've delivered a lot more than that. Still a lot of potential for improvement but those early results are better than I could have hoped for. Thumbs up!

What makes you think you couldn't get 50% scaling from SLI and Crossfire SFR?

What makes you think you couldn't get 50% scaling from SLI and Crossfire SFR?

Nothing, but AFAIK SLI and Crossfire are exclusively AFR these days, which means they're a no go as far as I'm concerned. I've always maintained that if all Lucid manage to do is to be the metaphorical kick up the backside ATI and Nvidia need to sort out multi GPU scaling then they've managed more than I could have hoped they ever could. The fact that the thing actually seems to work very well may be enough to make that happen, that's great news for me as a consumer.

Nothing, but AFAIK SLI and Crossfire are exclusively AFR these days, which means they're a no go as far as I'm concerned. I've always maintained that if all Lucid manage to do is to be the metaphorical kick up the backside ATI and Nvidia need to sort out multi GPU scaling then they've managed more than I could have hoped they ever could. The fact that the thing actually seems to work very well may be enough to make that happen, that's great news for me as a consumer.

ChrisRay can confirm but I believe you can force SFR on Nvidia hardware through profiles if you don't mind mucking about with that stuff. Probably out of luck with Crossfire though. But yeah, there's nothing like competition to bump that stuff up the priority list.

Yup. Hex Bit "2" enables SFR in SLI. So say your SLI profile is.

4c000d

Change it too

4c0002

And that will enable SFR for 2 way, 3 way, or Quad SLI.

Chris

I've been playing with Trinergy and Fuzion this week. Fuzion with the Hydra chip looks promising.

wow.. great package in a whole box of fail.

more reliance upon game profiles (as if waiting for ATI's dog slow updates wasn't bad enough). Soo many damn restrictions it's not even funny.. not worth it imo. (though as an OCing mobo it looks sweet as hell, I mean how much easier can you get.. push button OCing literally). I'd say it's more of a knock on Lucid IMO than against MSI. Seems to me that MSI is really making a name for itself as a (shooting for THE) premiere OCers choice.. between the recent mobos and their Lighting video cars.. just WOW.

Hopefully the next review will contain an image quality investigation.

Back