Xbox360 Question: What Matters the HD Size if Games Stream from DVD?

bigsilly

Newcomer
Hi!

I was just curious -

The Xbox360 comes with many different-sized hard-drives. But what matter is the size of the hard-drive if the games all play with streaming data? Why would anybody want or need a bigger hard-drive -- what is the gain?

Okay, thanks, bye! :)

To download more demos and Xbox Live Arcade games or to store more music on.

Though with today's announcement of being able to copy games to the hard drive the need for a bigger hard drive is more obvious.

Now if they can only remove the need to have the disc in the drive I'll be happy.

So if I don't download demos or Xbox Arcade games or use my Xbox360 to play MP3's, then the size makes no difference?

The Xbox360 comes with many different-sized hard-drives. But what matter is the size of the hard-drive if the games all play with streaming data? Why would anybody want or need a bigger hard-drive -- what is the gain?
You don't need a harddrive to play 360 games. Well, there are a couple exceptions, but that's it.

There are advantages, though:
- some games may run a bit smoother with it
- you can download things onto it like movies and music
- you can get game updates
- you can save games to it, negating the need for a memory card

Bigger harddrives let you do more of the above, and that's all. If you don't really care about any of that stuff, it shouldn't matter.

So if I don't download demos or Xbox Arcade games or use my Xbox360 to play MP3's, then the size makes no difference?

Not really, no. The bigger HDs are only for people who download a lot of content - demos, arcade games, expansion packs, movies, etc.

I have the 20 GB hard drive and have been happy with it so far. I download demos and a few Xbox Arcade games, but I still have plenty of empty space.

It's a major pain if you're a hoarder, like me. Plus XBLA Originals take up stacks of space, making the smaller HDD pretty tiny. If that's not your cup of team, a HDD is a HDD.

With the upcoming install to hardrive option I'd go with the 60 gig unit over the 20 gig unit.

You have to understand that after caching and formating the 20 gig unit only has 12 gigs or so avalible . That wont be enough for multi disc games to be installed or multiple games to be installed. Forget it if u want to buy alot of dlc and put a game on the hardrive .

Why does this matter ? Well I'm sure there will be more games like Final Fantasy 13 that will ship multi disc in the future and you will want to be prepared. its also a much quieter way of playing .

That $50 bucks for what most likely amounts to almost a 5 times increase in storage is worth it .

Hi!

I was just curious -

Okay, thanks, bye! :)

Actually not much, if you dont download movies. HD movie rentals are 6-7 GB. But most game demos are only around 1GB, Arcade games and save files are small, so you're not likely to us a lot of space on those. So the 13GB the 20GB leaves you with after all the overhead is pretty manageable. Theoretically you have space for 13 demos which is plenty.

If you have live you're on broadband, and you just juggle content. It's not like you'll be playing more than 2-3 demos at a time typically. If you must, you can always delete something and know it's easy to download later. Although again, demos are the main space waster (outside HD movie rentals) and most of those are not very good.

It just requires a bit of managment but it's no problem.

Now with the installs, once again there is more need for a bigger HDD. I still think the installs will be pretty managable on a 20 gig though. It's just like when I rent a movie, it's pretty easy to free up 6-7 GB of space. Similarly, it should be pretty easy to have space to install one and most likely two games on the 20, since 7GB will be the tops, and many games are more like 4GB. I cant see myself really "needing" to install more than the 1-2 games I'm most frequently playing.

The more I think about it, I'm starting to understand the reasoning behind the Netflix deal. It's a complete streaming experience. No need to download gigs of video to a hard drive. This way, even Core/Arcade users can experience movies and tv shows just like their hard-drive enabled friends do. Once they get a taste of it, then I'm sure they will follow-up with a hard-drive purchase and start buying more video content off of Live Marketplace.

Tommy McClain

Last edited by a moderator:
Back