The Final Fantasy XIII XB360 announcement discussion* (spawned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another interesting point from the same Square Enix press conference: they intend to finish the PS3 version, start localization and THEN start working on the 360 port. This is either insanity, or the greatest praise for 360 ease of development MS could ever get.

I thought the white engine was made specifically for Playstation 3 and they bought the U3 engine for multiplatform title's. Hopefully they'll do a better job than they did on FFXI.

yes back in the nes and super nes days.

Then what happened , no more ff and the n64 and gamecube happened.
I dobut its going to be the same with sony , but it is a blow to them and a plus for ms .

Ms now has 4 diffrent square rpgs coming out within a year plus fable 2 and fallout 3. that is an amazing rpg line up and when you add in past rpgs this is now the rpg console of the generation

Dont forget its only exclusivity that has been lost, it is still going to be on the PS3. It is nothing like the situation that happened with nintendo all them years ago.
It sure is a big bonus for xbox users but i cant see it having too much of a negative impact on sony. GTA4 was a much bigger game to lose exclusivity to than FF IMO and the impact that it had is debatable.
I think some people(not aimed at you specifically eastmen) have got a little overexcited about this announcement, i could understand if it was now xbox exclusive. In no way is this doom and gloom for sony, which im sure they know or they would have done all they can to keep it exclusive (if they Could afford it!)

I dont know how VGChartz gathers software data, but if its anything like hardware data i can guessestimate just as well as that guy can.
NPD, Media Create and the like. Their predictions suck, but their historical records are based on the same data we all get to see, in theory. It mught be wrong, but not by an argument changing amount. It's unlikely FFXII sold 20 million and VGCharts got it that wrong ;)

Another interesting point from the same Square Enix press conference: they intend to finish the PS3 version, start localization and THEN start working on the 360 port. This is either insanity, or the greatest praise for 360 ease of development MS could ever get.

Do they plan to release the ps3 version first or something?

I think Sony could rebound from this with this announcement:

***FINAL FANTASY VII remake only on PS3!!!***

Phhhfpt ! Let the market absorb the hit. I am interested to see the effect of FFXIII going multi-platform.

Do they plan to release the ps3 version first or something?

If they release it only on PS3 in japan, they could port it during the year they usually take to release it outside japan. It could be small job compared to translating the story in a dozen different languages in decent quality.

This is the biggest bombshell of this generation so far. I know the Sony fans will now try their best to downplay and dismiss FF13 but along with MGS4 and GT5, this is the one game they loved to throw down repeatedly in list wars. Hell, it's one of the games Sony loved to flaunt and show off.

And frankly, I dont' care if it comes on 1 disc or 4! why? because I can install all games to the HDD going forward :D

Microsoft pretty much sealed a pretty sweet deal with this, but its not the end of the world.

Like others have said, I think GTA4 was a bigger "exclusive" loss compared to this game, judging from sales of previous generation.

Still, I plan on getting this for the PS3. One of the reasons because I have way too many damn games on the X360 so PS3 needs some lovin :LOL:

Great start to E3 so far. Sony's keynote tomorrow should hold some great surprises aswell ;)

Well... bombshell or not, I think it's great that SE has more resources to develop breakthrough games moving forward (Would hate to see them stagnate due to a limited market). The 360 and PS3 fans will eventually settle down, and gamers will continue to make their purchase decisions accordingly.

I think it's more important in this E3 for MS to show their innovative side and keep moving forward, which they did beautifully from what I can gather so far.

And frankly, I dont' care if it comes on 1 disc or 4! why? because I can install all games to the HDD going forward :D
That's a great feature save for one drawback - MS's overpriced peripherals. How much FFXIII are you going to be able to fit onto a 20 GB HDD? Or a 60 GB HDD with plenty of download content already installed? How much do you want to pay for a 120GB drive? If their peripherals were open, or reasonably priced, I'd give this the double thumbs up, but as it is it's only a single thumb.

It looks like 360 development hasn't even started yet (it will start when ps3 dev finish), and looks are no plans to release a 360 version in Japan.

PD: It could be a new strategy, probably they are starting to focus more on their internal studios preferring to spend money on Killzone or GOW2 than on keeping a third party exclusive. I don't know... i kind of like this new SCE, with games like Echocrome,LBP or PixelJunk, at least is more original.

It looks like 360 development hasn't even started yet (it will start when ps3 dev finish), and looks are no plans to release a 360 version in Japan.
IMHO that says a lot about the quality of the tools provided by MS.

Once upon a time, FF's home platform has been Nintendo. And look at the Wii today... FF isn't the end of all things. Major step for MS, but it won't destroy Sony...

Uhh.., FF1-6 were not very popular sellers. FF7 and up yes. I don't think anybody was concern about FF7 heading to the PS1 over the N64 when people didn't realize the potential impact it did. FF is mainstream now. So any headlines about it is huge.

The day they lose FF is the day they lost the console war. This was always what I believe. Good job by MS. You secured your position in the market.
I'm going to assume you just made this statement as a bit of flamebait, but I'll reply nonetheless.

PS3 hasn't lost the console war, but I think losing this exclusive is an official declaration of Sony losing its domination. Most of us were pretty sure about this anyway, but when a legendary Sony exclusive with 30-50% of its sales in Japan decides to go multiplatform, I don't see any major non-first-party franchise being exclusive.

This announcement also substantially weakens the argument that BluRay is a key feature for making epic games and will sway studios towards the PS3. Wasn't this game a poster-child for why we need BR? If FFXIII was PS3 exclusive, you can bet that Sony PR, PS fans, and even reviewers would be calling this a title that couldn't be done without BR or the power of PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back