Introducing Wii MotionPlus, Nintendo improves Wiimote

patsu

Legend
While we are speculating on 360 and PS3 motion sensing controllers, Nintendo has moved to defend its position:

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/eMMuRj_N6vntHPDycCJAKWhEO9zBvyPH

Nintendo's upcoming Wii MotionPlus accessory for the revolutionary Wii Remote controller again redefines game control, by more quickly and accurately reflecting motions in a 3-D space. The Wii MotionPlus accessory attaches to the end of the Wii Remote and, combined with the accelerometer and the sensor bar, allows for more comprehensive tracking of a player’s arm position and orientation, providing players with an unmatched level of precision and immersion. Every slight movement players make with their wrist or arm is rendered identically in real time on the screen, providing a true 1:1 response in their game play. The Wii MotionPlus accessory reconfirms Nintendo’s commitment to making games intuitive and accessible for everyone. Nintendo will reveal more details about the Wii MotionPlus accessory and other topics Tuesday morning at its E3 media briefing.

Cool. Let's hope we get some tech details. I wonder if they'll embed this in future Wii-motes?

Tommy McClain

Nintendo reveals MotionPlus - 1:1 motion control add-on for Wii Remote

lApMjLBYdw7v2ATJbBTQ1lLHPs4jxMFx.jpg

Nintendo's upcoming Wii MotionPlus accessory for the revolutionary Wii Remote controller again redefines game control, by more quickly and accurately reflecting motions in a 3-D space. The Wii MotionPlus accessory attaches to the end of the Wii Remote and, combined with the accelerometer and the sensor bar, allows for more comprehensive tracking of a player’s arm position and orientation, providing players with an unmatched level of precision and immersion. Every slight movement players make with their wrist or arm is rendered identically in real time on the screen, providing a true 1:1 response in their game play. The Wii MotionPlus accessory reconfirms Nintendo’s commitment to making games intuitive and accessible for everyone. Nintendo will reveal more details about the Wii MotionPlus accessory and other topics Tuesday morning at its E3 media briefing.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/eMMuRj_N6vntHPDycCJAKWhEO9zBvyPH

You do have to wonder how reactionary this is from Nintendo. The precision of the wiimote was one of the most mentioned flaws and the reason why 'real gamers' couldn't use it.

Improving a product is always nice, you do have to wonder how it will influence 'difficulty level' of certain games considering some people will be using a device with increased precision while others will not.

Almost a controller VS KB & Mouse type of situation.

Wow, all the flaming I took over asserting the Wii's flaw tracking finally vindicated. Back when the Wiimote launched, I said that the game lineup showed no 1:1 tracking, just gesture recognition, which indicated it was probably incapable of it, to which I was flamed. Others thought it was just a matter of programming. Later, when Metroid came out, being an PC FPS player, I gave the controls a bad review, to which many tried to convince me it was my setup somehow, but I've never been able to get around the imprecision, latency, 'floaty/lagged' feeling of the control.

Seems to me that Nintendo recognizes that it's a problem and it fixing it. Maybe now, the promise of the WiiMote as a kickass platform for FPS-style control over analog-sticks will finally be realized.

Cool. More precision is nice, and hopefully there will be some games that take advantage. I hope it gets bundled with Wii Sports/Play 2, so almost everyone will have it and developers will make games that really push it.

Wow, all the flaming I took over asserting the Wii's flaw tracking finally vindicated. Back when the Wiimote launched, I said that the game lineup showed no 1:1 tracking, just gesture recognition, which indicated it was probably incapable of it, to which I was flamed. Others thought it was just a matter of programming. Later, when Metroid came out, being an PC FPS player, I gave the controls a bad review, to which many tried to convince me it was my setup somehow, but I've never been able to get around the imprecision, latency, 'floaty/lagged' feeling of the control.

Seems to me that Nintendo recognizes that it's a problem and it fixing it. Maybe now, the promise of the WiiMote as a kickass platform for FPS-style control over analog-sticks will finally be realized.

To bad that the things you mention are totally unrelated. This will just improve the recognition of motion. FPS movement is done only by the IR and there is no way you can enhance that by this add-on. Personally my MP3 controlls didnt feel laggy or unpreciese.

I bitched about the Wii not having 1:1 motion sensing way back in 2005.

Wonder how much this will cost, probably going to be expensive, considering that Nintendo charges up to €30-40 for perhperials that cost €2-4 to make.

Not real 1:1

What possible sensor could be inside that little box? My guess is that it's just a MEMS gyroscope, to complement the MEMS accelerometer already in the remote. Nice to have, certainly, but people expecting 1:1 tracking like a motion capture suit are still going to be disappointed.

Oh yeah? I bitched about it in 1995!
In all seriousness, this could be good, but most games are geared toward "gesture recognition" (to steal from DC).

I bitched about the Wii not having 1:1 motion sensing way back in 2005.

Wonder how much this will cost, probably going to be expensive, considering that Nintendo charges up to €30-40 for perhperials that cost €2-4 to make.

Yes because other peripal makers in the past and present like sega, sony and MS ofcourse charge more than fair prices. A new sixaxis will still cost you 46 dollars to amazon.com and that has a whole lot less tech in it than the wii remote.

Anyway there is no point in bickering about this because this is how it always has been and always will be. Things like controllers are just a easy way to make some extra cash quick.

And I can hear my kids now shrieking in one strong, unified voice; "DO WANT!!!"

What if you buy one, does one kid always win? I always felt there was too little correlation between the motion of the controller and the motion on screen, how do you handle a mixed environment? What about online competition?

I guess kids will now be able to practice aiming more effectively when they decide to go on a shooting rampage in American schools...scary thought.

Back