Suggestions for 24" widescreen LCD?

OpenGL guy

Veteran
Howdy folks :)

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a new 24" widescreen flat panel. I was looking at the Dell 2408WFP, but was a little concerned with some of the issues I saw in this YouTube video, particularly the flashing colors in the sky in Crysis (part#4 of the video).

My main uses will be for gaming and videos, so I prefer fast response time and no ghosting, but I also do image processing for my photography as well so I need a reasonable color response (or good tools for calibration). I prefer to keep costs under $800, but I will consider other options if the quality is superb.

Thanks for any suggestions!

samsung XL24 :LOL:
j/k

I've been looking around myself for something between 24 and 27

My friend has a Samsung 275T which is really nice, I think the 245T is similar and has gotten some decent reviews.

Does the dell 2408 have a contrast adjustment?

I can't find a list of controls available on the 2408WFP, but one of the reviews implies contrast adjustment:
Review on Dell site said:
Brightness turned all the way down, contrast adjusted slightly up and color setting were a little off.
Wish I could find a link showing all the options...

The 245T is probably nice picture quality-wise, though I've heard they have a tendency to make odd noises. Like a buzzing noise from the back of the panel.

Personally I'd go for a BenQ, one of the few that DOESN'T use crappy-ass TN panels... The FP241W(P-MVA) or even better, the FP241WZ(A-MVA) looks like excellent monitors.

I went with the 245T. It does suffer from some ghosting when things move across a colored background, but it's not too annoying. I did find the display to be incredibly bright by default, so I turned the brightness down to 10.

There's 1 bad pixel :( Don't see it in games, but it's visible on the desktop.

Overall I like it a lot.

I have the Samsung 245BW and I can't complain. A DVI/HDMI adapter helps for hooking it up to my PS3, although it complains of a non-optimal setting when the PS3 uses 24Hz 1080p on blue-ray movies, it looks fine to me.

But damn, that 24" HP DreamColor looks hot.

Sorry for the bump, but I'm in the very odd scenario where my GPU actually has extra horsepower to accomodate a larger resolution.

My HD4870 needs a new 24" monitor, and I'm currently looking at the:
HP w2408h
Samsung 2493HM
Dell 2408WFP-HC

If you have any other recommendations, I'd be glad to hear them.

My Dell 2407WFP I got for $720 US delivered, (many moons ago) is still going strong. Sits beside my 3008WFP.
To save on E bill while folding, I use it instead of the 3008 while surfing. :p

I have the BenQ FP241W and I love it. Only issue is that the buttons for using the OSD are located on the right side, making the OSD awkward and difficult to use.

I have a 24" Dell at work, colors and black uniformity is terrible. Stuff on the side is turning into some reddish brownish something isntead of black. Fortunately I'm a modeler so I don't care about it much... :)

Compositors and texture painters use 24" and 20" HP panels. My old 20" Dell at home is also pretty good quality, so there might be larger panels that are better as well.

NEC LCD2490WUXi H-IPS panel. Best 24" panel money can buy.

I was surprised by how OK the Samsung 2493HM is for a TN. You may want to check out the BenQ V2400W, too.

Ouch, $1000. I'm looking probably at something in the $600-800 range (Australian or US--prices are more uniform nowadays).

That BenQ V2400W looks stylish (and is pretty cheap), but I'm worried about the image quality. I've currently got an Asus 22", and I'm not satisfied with the amount of backlight bleeding and poor viewing angles. That, and in comparison to other monitors, the Asus looks "washed out".

I have a 24" Dell at work, colors and black uniformity is terrible. Stuff on the side is turning into some reddish brownish something isntead of black. Fortunately I'm a modeler so I don't care about it much... :)

Compositors and texture painters use 24" and 20" HP panels. My old 20" Dell at home is also pretty good quality, so there might be larger panels that are better as well.

That panel is either defective or horribly calibrated.

I'm not sure about the price part, but I recall something like mixing several kinds of panels at the same price point, at least in Europe... Also, we have been looking for a high quality TFT to replace the compositors' and texture artists' CRTs so I don't think we've gone for the lower priced version.

I also have to add that we do have very high quality requirements, most people probably wouldn't call this terrible :)

I've got a Dell 2405 and 2407, and the latter is the better choice. They're both 8-bit IPS panels, but the latter an easier panel to calibrate and the backlight is a lot stronger. A quick Google says the 2408 is very similar, so I'd recommend it.

I don't see what Laa-Yosh sees myself, but all manner of things could be making that happen. I use mine in a home-office with fairly poor ambient lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm leaning toward the 2408WFP as Dell cut $100 off the price (for the next 5 days only though :D ).

Does anyone know of any details on a "2409WFP"?

The 2408WFP has noted input lag issues though, which put me off an otherwise tempting upgrade. Connectivity and styling-wise it's appealing along with all the other benefits of a H/S-IPS panel, but the lag could potentially be a bugbear if you do some gaming and start to notice the effect.

I recently upgraded from a 21' Dell CRT to the HP LP2475W and am very happy with it. Not as flashy looking as the Dell and extremely bright on first use, but after some calibration it's been a joy to use. If you're in the UK, Hazro's line of 23'-30' LCDs are pretty well regarded too.

Back