More 360 motion sensing controller news.

My gut feeling tells me that the reason why they released info on this device is they have lost the contract with MS (or MS will show something different tomorrow). And, they are doing some damage control. But, we will see tomorrow.

I find the design interesting, the design is pretty symetric, the bat is interesting too.
No matter MS has chosen Motus or not I hope that M$ have ketp the nunchuck like design.
EDIT
ANother interesing point would be accuraty

EDIT2
Shifty just pointed it but the device lake a pointing mechanism => not worse it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Darwin? Certainly a different name to what we've been hearing. Have rumourmongers got their scientists mixed up?!

Not sure about the technology. Doesn't appear to be any proper pointing mechanism, rather being a 'standard' accelerometer/gyro system. Motion wasn't mapping well to the games, with the movements appearing to be more motion alternatives for existing buttons, but then they were showing existing games. We don't know the full potential of the tech from these vids. The split design is pretty cool, a logical separation of left and right aspects to the existing dual-stick controllers. Looks a little too chunky for my tastes and I don't know how comfortable it'll be.

My gut feeling tells me that the reason why they released info on this device is they have lost the contract with MS (or MS will show something different tomorrow). And, they are doing some damage control. But, we will see tomorrow.

I'm have some of the same feelings as well, but not sure if they lost the contract with MS or Sony. The rumor of Sony's splitting motion controller might signal to the black Darwin controller shown on Motus' web site. It even has the Blue 'X' button found on PS controllers. The white controller has the Green "A" button. I bet they made both and tried selling both to Microsoft and Sony. What would be really sad is if they lost the contract for both.

BTW, I did find this recent quote from Motus on Kotaku...

Satayan Mahajan said:
"We're leaving it to the console-makers and publishers to announce whatever they want to announce. There's a lot of rumor — some of it true, some of it not true."

"A few companies approached us and asked us to be an enabler for their motion technology... in a role like [Gyration's relationship with Nintendo]. Others have said, 'we want you to build something that looks like the Darwin controller.'"

http://kotaku.com/5024434/motus-its-up-to-the-console+makers-to-make-motion-control-announcements

Tommy McClain

Darwin? Certainly a different name to what we've been hearing. Have rumourmongers got their scientists mixed up?!

You're thinking of the Microsoft code-name Newton that showed up months ago. I can possibly see Microsoft saying they would license the technology and make their own controller. However, I really like the cool split design. I think the bulky nature is due to the original design reasons. It started out as a way to play golf games on a computer. That's why it looks like the handle of a golf club.

Tommy McClain

Back