Will English language domination ever end?

Comparing 1984 numbers to 1995 numbers are not very accurate, IMHO. Furthermore, this list only accounts for first language speakers.

Why not? The lingua franca has changed in the past, as I mentioned. Why can't it do so again?

I'm assuming because the driving force behind 'lingua franca' has been 'democratized'.

Its no longer just the courtiers that are all inbred and high society that define what the 'lingua franca' is.

Now its a bunch of people who need to communicate to keep their businesses going. Since things are global, and since everybody has needed to talk to english people to trade before when things were mostly directed towards the english speaking super economies now finds that they can communicate with each other without learning every other language in the book, it'll probably just reinforce itself.

I'm assuming because the driving force behind 'lingua franca' has been 'democratized'.

Its no longer just the courtiers that are all inbred and high society that define what the 'lingua franca' is.

Now its a bunch of people who need to communicate to keep their businesses going. Since things are global, and since everybody has needed to talk to english people to trade before when things were mostly directed towards the english speaking super economies now finds that they can communicate with each other without learning every other language in the book, it'll probably just reinforce itself.
Sure, but as long as English remains a second language in most areas of the world, I don't really see how it can't change rapidly if the balance of economic power shifts.

I guess, but since all the supposed upcoming super economies already speak english to do most of their business, why would people move to Mandarin or Hindi?

I guess, but since all the supposed upcoming super economies already speak english to do most of their business, why would people move to Mandarin or Hindi?
They do this because the current economic sphere is dominated by nations that speak English natively (most especially the US). What will happen if the US has a major economic downturn, and loses its status as a world economic leader? English may well continue for some time out of momentum, but without reinforcement I don't see why the language won't switch.

They do this because the current economic sphere is dominated by nations that speak English natively (most especially the US).

I'm not sure I agree with that. The EU has about the same GDP as the US, and like 90% of those don't speak English natively. But international business tends to be in English, even if no particular English part is involved. If a French company wants a deal with a Swedish company, they will likely communicate in English, because that's a language both can understand.

I'm not sure I agree with that. The EU has about the same GDP as the US, and like 90% of those don't speak English natively. But international business tends to be in English, even if no particular English part is involved. If a French company wants a deal with a Swedish company, they will likely communicate in English, because that's a language both can understand.
Sure, but no single nation in the EU is big enough to swing the tide in favor of their language, so the momentum of English carries forward.

I agree partially with Mariner: I think that all languages will evolve towards a form that is easily (machine) translatable, and ultimately resolve into a single meta-language that incorporates a well-defined set of rules, but allows many different words and grammar to express the same thing.

The main reasons for that are live translations and voice instructions. Both have to be unambigious, so people will adapt to the form with the least amount of multiple meanings, which depend upon tonation and non-verbal signs.

Please spanish is the domanite language in the united states . i don't think english will be around much longer

Dora the Exoplorer is on a one woman mission to turn back the English tide :mad:

We need Postman Pat to extend his delivery route to New Mexico.

Back