Deneb: sneak peek...

I'd agree with that -- I categorize SuperPi like most other synthetic benches, in that they make sense when trying to compare the exact same system between "tweakings" as a way to measure how much progress you've made between point A: and point B:. Example: here's my SuperPi result at 3Ghz / 1333 FSB / ram at DDR2-667, and here's my SuperPi result at 4.5Ghz / 2000FSB / DDR2-1000.

Comparing SuperPi results between seperate systems is iffy at best, and almost worthless when moving across architecture changes, memory subsystem changes, chipset changes, and even vendor changes.

I too would rather see something more real-world.

Any more news about Deneb? There's been a few sightings of engineering samples, but we're only four more weeks from the supposed Q4 timeframe. Should we be hearing something about tape-outs and stockpiling if Deneb is going to launch and ship in time for people to build Christmas PCs?

We should have, but we're not.
The only rumors are ones about partners waiting for samples.

AMD is playing true to form so far.

Man I hope that 125W TDP is maximum for the family and not actually for the SKUs mentioned in that paper... What's that, twice Intel's 3GHz 45nm quads?

I'm disappointed. Nehelem will be faster and a few months ahead, and AMD isn't even going to make Christmas. If you look closely the slide does say launched in December with embargo till Jan 8th, but general availability could be even later.

I was really hoping AMD would get Deneb out in the next couple of months, but early next year is leaving them further behind than ever. Intel are going to launch Nehelem, make a lot of cash at top price for a few months, and then drop prices to hurt AMD when Deneb finally turns up late.

I thought it would be slower than C2D quad at the same frequencies... At least for some games benchmarks.

Doubtful. Highly. Don't let one early preview (Hexus) and an apologetic fluff piece (Anandtech - Johan De Gelas or not, I still think it was typical Anand Intel favoritism) set your expectations in stone WRT final performance. I imagine you're referencing Hexus' recent preview, the one which they took down because it was flawed (i.e. the system wasn't properly configured for gaming).

Doubtful. Highly. Don't let one early preview (Hexus) and an apologetic fluff piece (Anandtech) set your expectations in stone WRT final performance. I imagine you're referencing Hexus' recent preview, the one which they took down because it was flawed (i.e. the system wasn't properly configured for gaming).

Agreed. Integer performance is up by a measurable extent, floating point performance is up even more, and the memory performance is up by almost an entire order of magnitude. Clockspeeds are pretty much flat, but you've also got extra threading to take advantage of (for those few games that can...)

If all of that hardware somehow results in less gaming performance for the production release, I'll be quite surprised.

I'm disappointed. Nehelem will be faster and a few months ahead, and AMD isn't even going to make Christmas. If you look closely the slide does say launched in December with embargo till Jan 8th, but general availability could be even later.

As a consumer, that's bad. Very Bad.

I think they're partly playing quiet, even Nehalem samples aren't really quite indicative of the performance offered yet.

The worst thing they could do is be noisy as hell, and get GT200ed in mindshare.

I think they're partly playing quiet, even Nehalem samples aren't really quite indicative of the performance offered yet.

The worst thing they could do is be noisy as hell, and get GT200ed in mindshare.

Or they could just be really late and get killed for months while the new Intel chips arrive with their own QPI memory controller and rampage all over the market.

Really, AMD have missed Deneb for the SB750 launch, missed back to school period, and now they are not going to hit Christmas.

It's pretty sad that they are still riding "new" Athlon X2 releases! What an ugly timetable there.

I hope the op. voltage of the retail stepping is reduced no more than 1.325.

They could probably reduce tdp significantly without much of a performance hit if they dropped the ht speed (i.e. imc) to about 2.8-3 GHz.

I think that they should make some x2's with clock speeds higher than the x4's especially since deneb does more per clock and not everything needs 4 cores.

If they made a dual core black ed (stock 3.2 GHz) deneb with a reduced ht speed and operating voltage of no higher than 1.28 V, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Back