Nvidia GT200b rumours and speculation thread

Seems a Nvidia spokeman said, that comparison 4870X2 GTX280 is not fair because of the 2 GPUs of X2 and that Nvidia will launch if the market demands a G200(B)-GX2, too. Which will offer a higher image quality and a better multi-gpu-technology.
;)
They better get the power use down a LOT then with the 55nm model, I mean, wasn't the reported TDP (which you don't really reach in normal situations though, but still) for GTX280 already at 23xW, when PCIE specs say strictly that 300W is the limit, you can't go over it

But the problem with reducing the MC, is that ROPs also reduced, and these are in some cases(8xAA) the weak point of GT200.
In future GT200 I think they will go 8 ROPs per 64-Bit.
Are you sure about that? I'm not convinced the problem with 8xMSAA is the ROPs as much as it is microarchitecture. I still think 384-bit GDDR5 for the GTX 290 (&GX2) and 320-bit GDDR5 for the GTX 270, with 24 and 20 ROPs respectively, would be a very viable strategy. However it might be too much design work to bother...
They better get the power use down a LOT then with the 55nm model, I mean, wasn't the reported TDP (which you don't really reach in normal situations though, but still) for GTX280 already at 23xW, when PCIE specs say strictly that 300W is the limit, you can't go over it
Sure, but look at the GTX 260 SLI: http://techreport.com/r.x/radeon-hd-4870-x2/power-load.gif - if that was 2x[600MHz/9C/384-bit GDDR5/768MiB] instead on 55nm, it would probably be very viable power-wise. Once again though, that might be too much design work to bother with.

That would be much design work but doable, yes, but would also be slower than GTX280 in cases where SLI doesn't work, which is a bad thing

IMO, Nvidia doesnt need a GX2 as much as people think they do.

With current pricing, the GT2xx are already quite competitive. The initial pricing is the culprit for the lukewarm response to GT2xx. GTX290 at $399 and GTX270 at $249 would absolutely rock.

Valid point but they also have power consumption and heat under control it seems as well despite slapping on 2 chips on the same card.

In addition, GT200b gx2 boards will still be much much more expensive to manufacture than RV770x2 boards, due to die size, power delivery, and bus width.

It's always possible to make a higher performing graphics card: the question is always, is it worth the additional cost.

I would love to see GDDR5 on that 512bit bus.

I'm working in the next version of my patch for BR2. It adds texture compression, to save memory bandwidth, and the gains in the framerate are really awesome (from 57fps to 100fps at 1920x1200 MSAA 4x - 8800GTX).

So, from my experiences coding, bandwidth is ultra important for high res gaming.

Any new info about GT200b? It`s strange that there were much more info about GTX280/260 a month before it`s releasing an then there is absolutely no info about GT200B`s performance, price, clocks speed or die size. It`s even strange because it is said that GT200B is going to be here in 3-4 weeks.

Any new info about GT200b? It`s strange that there were much more info about GTX280/260 a month before it`s releasing an then there is absolutely no info about GT200B`s performance, price, clocks speed or die size. It`s even strange because it is said that GT200B is going to be here in 3-4 weeks.

I don't expect GT200b to be anything special, otherwise they would have used the specs/benches to spoil the R700 launch (like they did with the HD4850/9800GTX+).

Given that GT200b is speculated to be right around the corner. So if they go ahead and do NOT release the gpus...does that mean they are just going to concede to ATI and not bring about anything to fight back? What about Christmas time...Q4?

I don't expect GT200b to be anything special, otherwise they would have used the specs/benches to spoil the R700 launch (like they did with the HD4850/9800GTX+).

But then, you would be trying to spoil something good/real/purchasable with vaporware/slideware, wont you? And how would people respond when they themselves go around telling folks that "Larrabee is a powerpoint silde". With 9800GTX+, they atleast launched a real product.

But then, you would be trying to spoil something good/real/purchasable with vaporware/slideware, wont you? And how would people respond when they themselves go around telling folks that "Larrabee is a powerpoint silde". With 9800GTX+, they atleast launched a real product.
No. I suppose the GT200b to be released end of August/early September. So it wouldn't have been "slideware" (maybe for 2-3 weeks).

The 9800GTX+ was also launched 1 month after the initial previews. In addition, R700 previews have also shown up mid July.

Thats exactly what im afraid of. The same thing happened with G70->G71 transition.
G70 (7800GTX) was released in summer, and speculations started about G71 coming soon . I wasted 6 month waiting for it!

That is true but some reliable sources( CJ )have said that GT200B is on the way. If NVIDIA has canceled 55nm ver. of GT200 it will be demolished by AMD in this round.

I would love to see GDDR5 on that 512bit bus.

I'm working in the next version of my patch for BR2. It adds texture compression, to save memory bandwidth, and the gains in the framerate are really awesome (from 57fps to 100fps at 1920x1200 MSAA 4x - 8800GTX).

So, from my experiences coding, bandwidth is ultra important for high res gaming.
But would such a chip have the power to utilize such bandwidth or would it be another 2900XT?

That sounds verrry odd. Can we have some reasons for that please?
No reasons. Just what i heard from someone. It may be false.

That is true but some reliable sources( CJ )have said that GT200B is on the way. If NVIDIA has canceled 55nm ver. of GT200 it will be demolished by AMD in this round.
How's GT200 55nm shrink will help them with fighting against RV770? It'll allow them to cut some cost off the GT200 but it'll probably still be slower than RV770x2 (although since it's AFR again "slower" here is a questionable term) and still be too hot/big/expensive/whatever for a GX2 configuration.
So i find it somewhat possible that they've scrapped GT200b and went to some more advanced GT2xx family chip on 55nm which will be more or less comparable to RV770 in price/performance and will allow them to fight back at RV770x2 with GX2 configuration.
Buuuut maybe it's nothing and GT200b is already around the corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back