XBox 360 Price Cut/60GB model*

Well, okay. A lot of this hinges on how savvy the average customer is, and I can't argue on that because it'd just be baseless speculation anyway. But the thing is, the elite used to be a good deal. In fact, before HDMI became standard, it was probably the best deal if you didn't already own a 360. Even after HDMI became standard it was a pretty decent deal. It's just been made to look worse and worse comparatively: MS really hasn't done anything to make the package more attractive since it was released, relative to the other SKUs.

Huh? The best deal to who? It was insanely expensive and only 'the best deal' if you were going to download movies and required a bigger HDD, or if you needed to use the HDMI input because that's all your TV had. For most people, the premium of the Elite made it far from the best deal. I bought an Elite because it was black, because I had an un-used HDMI input and because I planned on downloading movies and storing content on my 360.

Things that go beyond what most basic gamers do.

I think this is fairly silly. It's just a name. Why not create a new Premium SKU titled 'The Best', and draw a glass of champagne and a Ferrari on the box? I own an elite. I bought it because it was a good deal, not because it's an 'Elite'. Your argument might hold if we were talking about shopping for yachts. Just having a fancy name doesn't automatically make it a luxury item.

You do realize that Ferrari licenses their name and logo for exactly that purpose, correct? It seems to me your example proves the point, it doesn't dispel it. Elite signifies it's the top of the line model, that you can't get any better. The color scheme identifies it as such, just as a Ferrari logo would.

Either way, you're paying a premium for having something that is immediately distinguishable as the best. Paint it black and call it Elite or paint it red with a yellow Ferrari logo on it. It's the same thing. Only one doesn't cost MS royalties.

One problem with the black color is that it's harder to find accessories. It's shallow, but I've been thinking of buying one of those keyboards, and I'm sorta bugged that I can only find the white one. Same for stuff like Play 'n' charge kits -- I own one, but I'm slightly bummed that the battery pack, though black, is actually a different shade of black from the controller itself.

I rarely send messages via Live so it really isn't a concern at this time, although my friends have the messenger mini-keyboard which they seem to love.

Huh? The best deal to who? It was insanely expensive and only 'the best deal' if you were going to download movies and required a bigger HDD, or if you needed to use the HDMI input because that's all your TV had. For most people, the premium of the Elite made it far from the best deal. I bought an Elite because it was black, because I had an un-used HDMI input and because I planned on downloading movies and storing content on my 360.

Actually, I got an elite because I had a friend with a 360 and he was complaining about HDD space, even though he did not download movies. He downloaded only demos. If you had any intention to up your storage space, you were better off buying the console with the upgraded space to begin with. And that's not necessarily true anymore. But otherwise, yes, you're agreeing with me. You want more space, you want HDMI, it was the best deal.

You do realize that Ferrari licenses their name and logo for exactly that purpose, correct? It seems to me your example proves the point, it doesn't dispel it. Elite signifies it's the top of the line model, that you can't get any better. The color scheme identifies it as such, just as a Ferrari logo would.

Either way, you're paying a premium for having something that is immediately distinguishable as the best. Paint it black and call it Elite or paint it red with a yellow Ferrari logo on it. It's the same thing. Only one doesn't cost MS royalties.

Except it doesn't even do that! Unless you use your xbox live vision camera to make a picture of your elite for your gamerpic, no one will know what you own. I'll repeat: Just naming it elite does not make it elite. It's the most expensive 360, possibly positioned as an alternative to the more-expensive PS3, but again, this doesn't make it a luxury item. You can't seriously use the 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it' argument, not for a gaming console where you can easily break down the price! But this is off-topic, I fear.

Well, okay. A lot of this hinges on how savvy the average customer is, and I can't argue on that because it'd just be baseless speculation anyway. But the thing is, the elite used to be a good deal. In fact, before HDMI became standard, it was probably the best deal if you didn't already own a 360. Even after HDMI became standard it was a pretty decent deal. It's just been made to look worse and worse comparatively: MS really hasn't done anything to make the package more attractive since it was released, relative to the other SKUs.

I think this is fairly silly. It's just a name. Why not create a new Premium SKU titled 'The Best', and draw a glass of champagne and a Ferrari on the box? I own an elite. I bought it because it was a good deal, not because it's an 'Elite'. Your argument might hold if we were talking about shopping for yachts. Just having a fancy name doesn't automatically make it a luxury item.

Well to the first part, I agree. They should sweeten the pot of Elite by throwing in a wireless adapter or something. Then again if they did that, it would probably become the most attractive SKU again, and I'm not sure thats a good thing, because it's the most expensive. So strategy wise, it's probably best to marginalize the Elite.

To the second part, that doesnt make any sense. The Elite is an sku targeted at a specific customer, who is not going to quibble over a few bucks.

Well to the first part, I agree. They should sweeten the pot of Elite by throwing in a wireless adapter or something. Then again if they did that, it would probably become the most attractive SKU again, and I'm not sure thats a good thing, because it's the most expensive. So strategy wise, it's probably best to marginalize the Elite.

They could throw in, say, a year of Live, which really doesn't cost them anything, and adds to the perceived value of the console. The pessimist in me thinks that MS might phase out the Elite, and make the 120GB HDD scarce, now that it's not a big jump from 60GB anymore, which would also add to the appeal, I guess.

To the second part, that doesnt make any sense. The Elite is an sku targeted at a specific customer, who is not going to quibble over a few bucks.

Well, I don't agree, but I think we're straying off-topic.

I want the Elite for the large HDD and I'd probably would quibble over a few bucks, then again I like to get the cheapest deal possible.

I'd probably be willing to wait, just to save a little or to get a pack-in when I get it.

One of the things that really irked me about the MGS4 PS3 bundle was the lowest quality composite cables for the "HD" machine. I ordered mine for a fairly cheap price at some website that I can't remember. I was certainly not willing to pay $30-$50 bucks at Best Buy, Walmart or Circuit City when I could get it for ~$5.00 to include shipping.

I maybe atypical though.

I have the elite, console is good but I regret it simply because accessories never come out on black. I will trade this in once they have 65nm GPUs, then I will buy those in 60GB premiums.

The pro is down $100 with triple the HD space and added HDMI thanks in large part to competition. The reason it's not $199 now is probably the RRoD disaster costing them over $1B. Of course this works both ways, the PS3 has dropped in price, added features, etc. I'll ignore the Wii, I don't understand the draw, sales or pricing.

I was clearly talking about before this price drop. Read the post I was responding too.

Why do I care, I'm not a share holder, are you?
No , I'm a gamer and I care because the better the 360 does the more of a chance of a next xbox and the more money they will invst in it.

I'm repeating myself on this subject but I dont see the Elite as all that out of line.

To make an Elite from an Arcade, you need to add:

+150 HDD
+15 headset
+hi-def cable ($3-$20)
I think you missed a few things:
XBox 360 Component cable (The arcade only has composite) - not an issue if you're using hdmi, but I don't. ($20)
Can of black Spray paint ($5)
Masking Tape ($2)
Paint fume mask ($2)
About 3 hours painting the damn thing to make it black ($7/hr? In my case, quite a bit more/hr)

So in my case, it would cost me about $150 more than the elite, and I'd have a black haloed spot on my garage floor.

Personally, I'd probably pick up an elite from the company store for a discount, since the store doesn't carry the arcade, but I haven't had much of an issue with HDD space on my old non-hdmi 20 gigger. I kinda want the 120GB drive, but I have no actual reason to get one. :)

Now I'm looking for a good home for my black HD DVD addon, since I scored a Toshiba HD-A30 when the HD DVD team imploded. :)

I think you missed a few things:
XBox 360 Component cable (The arcade only has composite) - not an issue if you're using hdmi, but I don't. ($20)
Can of black Spray paint ($5)
Masking Tape ($2)
Paint fume mask ($2)
About 3 hours painting the damn thing to make it black ($7/hr? In my case, quite a bit more/hr)

So in my case, it would cost me about $150 more than the elite, and I'd have a black haloed spot on my garage floor.

And not to mention a voided warranty for painting it. Using a vinyl skin would be cheaper and less destructive. But I agree it wouldn't look or be the same. Just easier just to buy the elite.

Tommy McClain

And not to mention a voided warranty for painting it. Using a vinyl skin would be cheaper and less destructive. But I agree it wouldn't look or be the same. Just easier just to buy the elite.

Tommy McClain

Right, I'm not disputing that. I don't think you can put a price on color, if color is important to you. If you're willing to pay more for black, then that's what it's worth. My point was that if you felt that 20GB was inadequate/wanted HDMI, Elite was the best/only choice. Now all you're really left with is the color (and maybe the name, but I have a hard time believing that anyone thinks the 'Elite' in the name means a thing).

...Following last week's Xbox 360 price cut in the US, the console has seen a big spike in sales.

Some retailers are reportedly showing 100% increases in sales of all Xbox models with up to six times more sales between Friday September 5th - Sunday 7th compared to the previous weekend.

Granted, these are Microsoft's figures, so they may have been given a bit of a spit and polish...

http://kotaku.com/5048170/xbox-360s-flying-off-the-shelves-after-price-cut

It'll be interesting to see how many Arcade units this will put out there. If this is true: "some Xbox 360 models were selling at six times the rate they were the weekend prior" (from the Microsoft press-release), then the 'some' is probably either the Arcade or the Elite. Will be interesting to see which. I'm guessing the Arcade.

It'll be interesting to see how many Arcade units this will put out there. If this is true: "some Xbox 360 models were selling at six times the rate they were the weekend prior" (from the Microsoft press-release), then the 'some' is probably either the Arcade or the Elite. Will be interesting to see which. I'm guessing the Arcade.

It's definitely the arcade, I saw one report clarified this, though I'm too lazy to find it.
Well those numbers make it for the NPD thread of doom?

We may see the NPD thread of doom today, as I'm hearing talk 360 may be under 100K.

It's definitely the arcade, I saw one report clarified this, though I'm too lazy to find it.

We may see the NPD thread of doom today, as I'm hearing talk 360 may be under 100K.

Right, which is why people are saying that this piece of news might be meaningless. If sales of 360s were lower than usual before the price cut, selling twice as many may not be a huge feat. We need more data.

I think NPD went through the 4th so these new sales won't be included... I can see how the announcement (leak) of the price drop in early August could have hurt August sales though.

6 times is till a nice bump though and anyone claiming that $199 price point is not going to make an impact, then I don't know how to help you until you see NPD numbers over the next 12-15 months. :LOL:

The real test will be the holiday season anyway. A $200 Arcade + Gears 2 / Fable 2 / or even GTA4* will be very tempting, although it obviously won't compete with the Wii.

*: Don't forget that the late autumn release of the new episodes on Xbox live will generate a lot of media exposure for the game, it'll be pretty close to a second launch...

Back