XBox 360 Price Cut/60GB model*

LOL, where the heck did this come from? Maybe you should provide a link for the 60gb?

Tommy McClain

Thanks for the link. I don't frequent that forum. Looks like the 60gb is legit come July 27. To be the 20gb replacement. The 20gb gets a firesale similar to how Sony did with their SKUs last year. The only question now is how long it will take Microsoft to drop the 60gb Pro to $299? Personally I think Microsoft has focused too much on profitability that they are oblivious to the fact that they need the Pro SKU below $299 over a year ago. Kinda sad me thinks.

Tommy McClain

The 20gb gets a firesale similar to how Sony did with their SKUs last year.

Except Sony dropped the 60GB from $599 to $499 and then released the Motorstorm bundle for $499 to replace it. MS is going down and then up, which is a strange but makes sense for those might hold out for an expected $299 60GB. I think they should have just made the 20GB $279 and released the 60GB at $299.

And why 60GB?

Except Sony dropped the 60GB from $599 to $499 and then released the Motorstorm bundle for $499 to replace it. MS is going down and then up, which is a strange but makes sense for those might hold out for an expected $299 60GB. I think they should have just made the 20GB $279 and released the 60GB at $299.

And why 60GB?

I said it was SIMILAR. I was talking about the firesale of the 60gb to $499 and how after about 1.5 months after it was sold out they dropped the 80gb to $499.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_PlayStation_3_SKUs

The only difference here is that 60gb Xbox didn't exist before they will drop the 20gb price. MS still could follow the 80gb PS3 price drop and drop the 60gb to $299 in time for Christmas. That would give the 60gb about 4months at the higher price if they drop it in November. However, considering their track record so far I don't see it happening till next spring.

Tommy McClain

And why 60GB?

Carl his the nail with this earlier, its a bullet-point win against the 399 PS3 coupled with a negligible component cost up-tick.

I wouldnt be surprised if these 20G are sold for 299 and the 60's come back in at 349 (possibly including the rumored motion controller as well?). I think MS is wary of too big a price gap being perceived as an indicator of quality, features, or 'power'.

XBox 360 Price Cut Imminent

A number of independently leaked sales fliers from retailers such as Best Buy and Target have all but confirmed that beginning this Sunday July 13th, Microsoft's XBox 360 Pro system will receive a permanent $50 price cut to $299.99.

Read the full news item

The technology to antiquate BD already exists, it's only a matter of price point.

That's arguably the case for every format that is ever introduced. What new technologies are poised to take over BR market share? I don't see BR going away any time soon, the only thing that even stands a chance is net based digital distribution but there are a lot of obstacles to overcome before that becomes popular with the mainstream.

Anyways what are peoples thoughts on these two key points:

Will the 360 see a sales spike due to these price cuts?

What will Sony do in light of these price cuts?

I personally think that sales might get a small 20-30% boost for about one month then equal out with PS3 and that Sony wont do anything to try and match the price point.

That's arguably the case for every format that is ever introduced. What new technologies are poised to take over BR market share? I don't see BR going away any time soon, the only thing that even stands a chance is net based digital distribution but there are a lot of obstacles to overcome before that becomes popular with the mainstream.

Digital Downloads are already very mainstream , much more so than blu-ray (take a look at iTunes numbers). They just need the content and bandwidth.

Anyways what are peoples thoughts on these two key points:

Probably, but I don't see it being a particularly large jump. It'll level out again slightly above what they've been doing.

What will Sony do in light of these price cuts?

Nothing. They can't afford to do anything right now.

Initially yes but it looks like MS is simply clearing the remaining 20GB stock to make way for the 60GB model later in the month. The question is what price will the new model be.

I just got the official email from Xbox.com that the 360 (Arcade) has dropped to $349 in Australia. It didn't mention Pro/Elites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Initially yes but it looks like MS is simply clearing the remaining 20GB stock to make way for the 60GB model later in the month. The question is what price will the new model be.

I think 349 initially, but I'm sure an across the board cut is coming later this year.

I just got the official email from Xbox.com that the 360 (Arcade) has dropped to $349 in Australia. It didn't mention Pro/Elites.

It's interesting but MS said Arcades cureently sell neck and neck with the pro in AU, but going forward they expect Arcade to be the best seller there.

Not the case in USA.

well if they drop the price of the original bro they will get some good sales right now and if a 60 gig is true they can bring that out later in the summer and with gears 1 at $30 now , gears 2 , too human , exclusive gta 4 stuff , halo 3 (for the new buyers) and loads of other exclusives it should move well into the holidays .

BTW...

20gb = "while supplies last"

60gb = Early August

If the real price drop is coming in November, then that's 3 months for the 60gb at the $350. Pretty short. Something tells me that's not what they're planning, but I hope I'm wrong for their sake.

Tommy McClain

Back