Civilization Revolution*

One of the pluses to CivRev is you can finish in 2-3 hours. It still has an addictive draw because there aren't natural stop points - you'll keep setting mini targets 'when I've got that city; when I've researched that tech; when I've found the end of this landmass' and rarely find a comfortable place to stop, but if you get a spate to play you have the chance of finishing the game, or getting halfway, making the games more like a light lunch than a 10 course meal.

One of the pluses to CivRev is you can finish in 2-3 hours. It still has an addictive draw because there aren't natural stop points - you'll keep setting mini targets 'when I've got that city; when I've researched that tech; when I've found the end of this landmass' and rarely find a comfortable place to stop, but if you get a spate to play you have the chance of finishing the game, or getting halfway, making the games more like a light lunch than a 10 course meal.

thaks looking forward to it

the closest thing I have played was Age of empires years ago on PC and I shudder at the memory of some 7+ hour bleery eyed sessions. :???:

I think I will enjoy this light lunch. :D

Yes, AoE was a fave of mine too, but that one dragged out because the computer would have nigh on limitless spawning forces. It was also the RTS with the easiest sure-fire-win that I've played, amassing an army of ranged combatants with a few monks at the back to heal, and just creeping into the enemy territory.

The game with the most fun cheats that I've played was Dune II. You could start a base at the end of a rock-mass and use concrete blocks to enter the enemy base - they didn't seem to mind enemy construction workers laying foundations in their base. Then you'd throw up some turrets and the enemy would shoot their own buildings with direct line-of-fire-only AI. You could repair turrets in the base too, making them extremely economical.

I haven't come across such tricks on CivRev yet, but I think being turn-based scuppers much of the usual sorts of tricks. I've only played Civilization Call to Power in the turn-based strategy genre, prefering RTS for my strategy gaming.

Playing this demo made me go out and buy AoE again. (Lost my old copy and it was only 5 euro for both AoE 1 and 2 with expansions) :D
Installed it and played a couple of hours immediately. I think it's more fun instead of turn based games.

Are online games of CivRev also turn-based? That could seem like very slow playign then, since everyone has to be making decisions. How many players can there be in one online game?

I offered the demo up to a lady friend of my wife, and I had to kick her out at 2:30 am ... :) In that sense it's like AoE too, as that was a game I ended up playing online against a date once. Funny.

Damn I might have to buy the game. As a huge Civ4 fan I didn't think I was going to enjoy Revolutions. But based on other people impressions I might just have to break out my wallet.

Are online games of CivRev also turn-based? That could seem like very slow playign then, since everyone has to be making decisions.
They're time limited rounds, max 4 minutes, or somesuch. But as there's very little micromanagement, I doubt turns will be anything like so long.

The game is pretty good, but nothing really more than the demo. Despite the high replay value, I keep feeling that could have been a downloadable game.

Plus save anywhere actually hurts the game for a chicken like me.
At least for harder difficulties like deity, it could have been "save at every couple of turns".

The Mongols are so far the hardest civ to play. You capture barbarian cities instead of 'looting' them, but they start with only one population. So you end up with 5/6 towns, no money or free Galley, and a lot of irrate neighbours who don't like your expanionism and wage war straight away.

Open game saves is always at the mercy of the player as to how it gets abused. I don't think devs should be trying to control how players choose to play. If you really want to go the inconvenience of saving every turn, that's your perogative!

Also anyone know what's new in version 1.10? Looks like they've patched the buggy grass in the PS3 version that would often draw splodges. Any addition of Trophies?

The Mongols are so far the hardest civ to play. You capture barbarian cities instead of 'looting' them, but they start with only one population. So you end up with 5/6 towns, no money or free Galley, and a lot of irrate neighbours who don't like your expanionism and wage war straight away.

They are not that bad, you just have to adjust your tactics with the mongols. The galley or horse is nice, but I'd rather a town than 25g.

Open game saves is always at the mercy of the player as to how it gets abused. I don't think devs should be trying to control how players choose to play. If you really want to go the inconvenience of saving every turn, that's your perogative!

I agree, part of what I love about civ is I can save and go back any time, I'd hate to lose 10 minutes or whatever.

Also anyone know what's new in version 1.10? Looks like they've patched the buggy grass in the PS3 version that would often draw splodges. Any addition of Trophies?

There hasn't been an update lately for the 360 version, so I would guess anything that changed didn't affect game balance.

They are not that bad, you just have to adjust your tactics with the mongols. The galley or horse is nice, but I'd rather a town than 25g.
But you have no choice where the town is. You can have a town surrounded by hills with no food for growth, and another town with no woods or construction assets at all. Plus they start with only 1 population! I'm not saying it's impossible, but its a darned sight harder building up these pokey little backwaters in poor surroundings than starting your own choice towns on your own terms. So far I've found I prefer the 25 gold, as a few prizes like that gets you a free Settler and another ideal town, and enough to invest in a few choice assets.
There hasn't been an update lately for the 360 version, so I would guess anything that changed didn't affect game balance.
There was another bug in the PS3 where it'd freeze reasonably often in the character selection screen after exiting a game and starting a new one. With that and the graphics bug, I expect it's just a bugfix patch.

But you have no choice where the town is. You can have a town surrounded by hills with no food for growth, and another town with no woods or construction assets at all. Plus they start with only 1 population! I'm not saying it's impossible, but its a darned sight harder building up these pokey little backwaters in poor surroundings than starting your own choice towns on your own terms. So far I've found I prefer the 25 gold, as a few prizes like that gets you a free Settler and another ideal town, and enough to invest in a few choice assets.

The towns can grow a bit slowly but once you get a bit further along in the game, there really isn't bad locations. Buildings, great persons, 1st tech discoveries and wonders can overcome any shortcomings it may have had. Odds are that one of the 3 or 4 towns you get from it are going to be placed decently well in any event and you will get the gold based achievements a bit later anyway. The extra towns will pay for themselves later when you don't have to stunt growth building settlers.

Back