Bioshock PS3*

Argh, I am seeing stars now. Trying to rush through but the game keeps dragging on. >_<
I will probably come back later. It gets repetitive towards the end. Should have condensed the game (IMHO of course).
I think I see the problem :) Just enjoy the game for what it was. I actually thought the last act (post-you-know-what) was as enjoyable as the preceeding two. I felt that the game set itself up as more of a classic play in that the intention was to climax in the middle before the resolution. It also fits in with the underlying theme of the game being a commentary on gaming in and of itself.

I'm at the last boss and it was too late to attempt defeating him which I nearly did in the first try by draininig 3/4 adam viles

I have enjoyed the game immensely and am just about done, but I'll admit that the later levels aren't as enjoyable (but still enjoyable) as the first 2/3s. Either way once I'm finished I will likely have some questions for any others who have beaten the game.

Cheers

I think I see the problem :) Just enjoy the game for what it was. I actually thought the last act (post-you-know-what) was as enjoyable as the preceeding two.

I tried to go back to Bioshock after the initial rush, but the story dragged for a little too long for my taste. This is especially true if I try to search every room for goodies. They could have finished up earlier and the experience would be more condensed and fun.

Well, tell
Atlas
not to run away so fast. I am just a white collar guy. There's nothing to be afraid of.

I just finished and here is a small review that I have no choice but to lace with spoilers.

The world is the star of this game and the way it breathes is what impressed me the most. Rapture is a functioning eco system and the apparent goal of the game is to find out why it is the way it is and to (hopefully) enjoy the ride. The underwater world is impressive in itself, but not because it's in the deep; in fact it is quite easy to forget that the player is experiencing the game under the sea since the dominant aesthetic is the old timey, art deco city and it is what truly pervades everything. The sound design and the story-telling linked to the world enhances everything. The character, himself is simply a shell and not all that important. He is truly just a vessel for the player and his link to the story is great albeit sometimes lost in the sound and story telling. My foremost example is anytime when an essential story element is found through a tape recorder, followed by a splicer attack which brings too much noise and action away from the voice coming from the recorder. Sure you are given the chance to replay recordings, but the gravitas is taken away if you don't get something immediately.

(Crap, I've written too much so I'll cut to the chase with what I had a problem with)

The most advertised and important story element known by those who barely know this game exists, is the relationship between the Big Daddy and Little Sister. I expected in going towards the end that some profound link would be discovered and was looking forward to the bombshell, the turn (which was really Atlas trumping Ryan). I'll preface my complaint by mentioning that if anyone has read previews about this game, they already know the profound truth - Big Daddy's protect Little Sisters and LS collect Adam. Well they never elaborate further. You find out that Fontain (I guess Ryan was also complicit), for his own reasons needs Adam, and therefore gets a scientist to find a way to have LS process and harvest Adam. Since Adam is important and everyone is after it, the Big Daddys are developed. That's it and not much more insightful than what a preview would have mentioned. (Am I missing something here?)
Maybe I was waiting for the mythical and magical but got another fps processing plant.

Either way I enjoyed the game and plan on playing a bit more.
-fin-

I'm now considering a purchase for this game and would very much appreciate some opinions. What makes me interested in this game is people seem to praise the "storytelling" a lot. I have tried the PS3 demo and have some questions:

(1) In the demo, "Atlas" seems strangely trusting in the main character (me) and the main character also seem pretty trusting in doing what "Atlas" says. This "Atlas" entity also seem to have a remarkably good idea about where I am and what I'm looking at. It feels very awkward to me. Does the story make good sense of all these later?

(2) I've read a lot of praises for the "storytelling". I take that to mean how the story is integrated into the gameplay. The way those enemies talk and act probably also make them feel a bit more alive, more like a character, less like a prop. However, is the overall plot good? I mean is it unpredictable? Does it have a decent amount of twists and turns? Do you think it's emotionally engaging?

Any personal opinions and feelings are welcome. :smile:

1) Oh yes. Very very much ;)

2) Oh yes its good. It doesnt have the amount of twists you find in a MGS game, but the few you get are outstanding.

It was almost unanimously the game of the year last year. If you like storytelling and fps you have to buy it. To answer the questions; They're pretty subjective and to answer them properly I would have to get into spoiler territory. The game is just really good.

For those who have finished it, what did you think (the good stuff, problems...etc)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for answering. I'll either buy this game or persuade a friend to buy so that I can play for free. ;)

Sorry cause maybe is off topic,but is there any diference between Bioshock Euro and USA versions(resolutions,extras,configurations etc)?

Since now thanx for answers.

(i have a friend in UK selling this tittle and my ps3 come from USA)

Does anybody have sales figures on this? For the PS3?

I was just wondering how much this sort of delayed-release/port really impacts sales.

This was an amazing game, IMO, one of the best I've ever played and was wondering if it really got lost with half the audience because of being such a big 360 hit and unavailable for so long on the PS3?

(ie: do people think the sequel will do significantly better on the 360? Although they'd be expected to release at the same time?)

Played it on the Xbox and I'll experience it again on the PS3 when the price comes down. I have to say this is one of the best game of this generation, no buts and ifs.

Does anybody have sales figures on this? For the PS3?

I was just wondering how much this sort of delayed-release/port really impacts sales.

This was an amazing game, IMO, one of the best I've ever played and was wondering if it really got lost with half the audience because of being such a big 360 hit and unavailable for so long on the PS3?

(ie: do people think the sequel will do significantly better on the 360? Although they'd be expected to release at the same time?)

I expect it did pretty well. Take Two's sales led on ps3 this year, and I'd think the extra bump came from Bioshock? Maybe?

It never charted NPD's or charted respectably in any of the Euro charts. Not sure where it would have done well at.

I would have thought GTA4. :smile:

Didn't is sell just as well on the 360? I think DB was hinting that Bioshock might have made the difference.

I'm sure it was a lot cheaper to port than to develop, so releasing it along with tons of other great games and at $60 to an audience who doesn't have a PC or 360 means low sales, but probably easy money. A cross-platform sequel should sell as well as any other game given the quality and release date being equal.

I'm now considering a purchase for this game and would very much appreciate some opinions. What makes me interested in this game is people seem to praise the "storytelling" a lot. I have tried the PS3 demo and have some questions:

(1) In the demo, "Atlas" seems strangely trusting in the main character (me) and the main character also seem pretty trusting in doing what "Atlas" says. This "Atlas" entity also seem to have a remarkably good idea about where I am and what I'm looking at. It feels very awkward to me. Does the story make good sense of all these later?

(2) I've read a lot of praises for the "storytelling". I take that to mean how the story is integrated into the gameplay. The way those enemies talk and act probably also make them feel a bit more alive, more like a character, less like a prop. However, is the overall plot good? I mean is it unpredictable? Does it have a decent amount of twists and turns? Do you think it's emotionally engaging?

Any personal opinions and feelings are welcome. :smile:

Finally finished the game myself. I'd say the game is pretty good and describe the story as attractive in the sense when playing through the game, I kept wanting to see the next part of it. I like the ingenious language trick a lot. :cool:

However, after finishing the game and seeing the whole story, I just feel a couple of early events (while serving as misdirection) don't fit well with the overall story. Not bad enough to be outright logical contradictions, but feels unreasonable nonetheless when looking back. The mid-game story also set me up to expect more fireworks than there is at the end of the story. This may be the fault of my own expectation though.

Besides, my doubt about how speakers talk over the radio like they know exactly where I am and what I'm looking at remains. Potential access to the visible security cameras certainly won't cut it. Some of the content and exquisite timing of their lines make me even hesitate to say an assumption of hidden security cameras can make it right. The only way I can accept this aspect is to see it as a gimmicky game guidance system and not to see it in the context of the story.

In terms of gameplay, what I like most is I can save all game status at any point. Together with the vita chamber revival system, the game is made easy, which suits me well.;) Even though I was only playing on medium, when things go right for me, I save game. Every time I suspect things may not go well for me soon, I save game. On average, I probably save 5-10 times/hour. I probably save game more often than I use plasmids. :D

Back