Bioshock PS3*

If I'm not out riding a bike here; (swedish saying)
This version of Bioshock has a true widescreen format, which the 360 did'nt have. it was merely a cropped 4:3 image. If I understand correctly, the 360-version will be patched with this new screenmode/FOV - how much does that affect the framerate of the 360-version? It should have some impact since it gets to render more, right?

If I'm not out riding a bike here; (swedish saying)
This version of Bioshock has a true widescreen format, which the 360 did'nt have. it was merely a cropped 4:3 image. If I understand correctly, the 360-version will be patched with this new screenmode/FOV - how much does that affect the framerate of the 360-version? It should have some impact since it gets to render more, right?

1280*720 is widescreen... or could it be that xbox360 renders at higher than 720p and downscales?

1280*720 is widescreen... or could it be that xbox360 renders at higher than 720p and downscales?
no, before the patch, for whatever reason, they cropped the image from a 4:3 window with a 16:9 window, essentially zooming in and cutting off the top and bottom. they've since released a patch for true 16:9 so you see far more information. here is a screenshot showing the difference.

plus Quaz51 already confirmed the 360 version is 1280x720.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do someone knows is the game now default to 720p instead of 1080p on a FullHD set ? My Pioneer is doing a way WAY better job with upscaling than the software scaler used in Bioshock.

People are just upset that the 4:3 mode shows more on top and bottom. The game was designed with the original 16:9 FOV; just look at the opening video with Andrew Ryan's speech and compare the different FOVs. But with all the whining the devs patched in a wider FOV, which itself was not a bad thing.

This whole issue (of nonsense) has been discussed to death. Some folks just believe that "True widescreen" always means more stuff on the side compared to non-widescreen. But if a movie director ever wanted to avoid pan and scan as well as black bars for "full-screen" the only decent option would have been to show all the stuff above and below the original intended area, which was clearly not the original intention at the movie theater.

no, before the patch, for whatever reason, they cropped the image from a 4:3 window with a 16:9 window, essentially zooming in and cutting off the top and bottom. they've since released a patch for true 16:9 so you see far more information. here is a screenshot showing the difference.

plus Quaz51 already confirmed the 360 version is 1280x720.

Alstrong's already said it but I had to comment. They didn't crop the image from a 4:3 window to give a 16:9 window, they added stuff that wasn't intended to be shown to the top and bottom of the 16:9 image to give the 4:3 image.

The original 16:9 image is exactly how the game was supposed to be displayed, by showing more than was intended, the 4:3 users were actually getting a reduced experience.

Whats funny is that by adding yet more to the sides of the 4:3 image, showing even more of the scene that was not meant to be shown, some people saw this a a benefit.

Hopefully the PS3 will get the option to play in the orginal FOV as well. The expanded one is worthwhile as well of course, some people prefer to see more of the scene even if its not how the game was intended to be played.

oh i see, my bad.

as for the PS3 version, yes, you can enable the FOV lock, at least in the demo. i found that the FOV was too narrow with it on, though.

The final game upscaling looks way better than the demo's one : in 1080p, texts are much sharper in-game and also on the XMB than they were in the demo.

I saw the PS3 version in store for 45 euro ... that's a good price.

So does anyone know if they will resolve the "soft image' issue with a patch? I know they were going to fix the texture problem with the Big Daddies, but hadn't seen if they would also improve the frame rate and IQ differences as well.

Hi,
I own both Xbox 360 and PS3. I have not played BioShock yet. I searched everywhere for a clear explanation, which I ask here: which version of Bioshock should be the best to play on?
I already know that both are good, but considering the X360 price and PS3 extra content for a more important price, maybe some of you may have a special idea.

Hi,
I own both Xbox 360 and PS3. I have not played BioShock yet. I searched everywhere for a clear explanation, which I ask here: which version of Bioshock should be the best to play on?
I already know that both are good, but considering the X360 price and PS3 extra content for a more important price, maybe some of you may have a special idea.

The 360 version is at most $30, get that.

The PS3 version is out. Got it this morning (Actually I hit Target to get them to sell me a copy of LBP, which they have in store).

I have played through some of Bioshock and the most eloquent way I can state the experience is that the world is fresh and new and the overall atmosphere (sound included) is purely awesome. Whatever the platform a gamer owns they should play this game.

As a more practical, B3D-sounding matter, the Big Daddy skin is still awfully chunky as in the post by I-forget-who, a couple of pages ago. I was not promted to download a patch or anything of that nature, so has anyone heard anything? It won't affect my experience very much but I would like to know.

Cheers

Played the PS3 version last night, just rented it, own the 360 version, and I must say...the differences are being blown way out of proportion, just like they were with Orange Box.

Yes, there are differences, but they are not drastic enough to warrant the purchase of one over the other. Price and preference are all that matter here.

Back