Bioshock PS3*

Looks like 2k sorted out the funny business with PS3 Bioshock.
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23044

Blurryness seems to be banished too.
Some guy has found the same weird bug on Splicers

000_3180.jpg

000_3183.jpg

000_3184.jpg

I don't get this, plastic look is solved by blurring, argument

i played the 360 version and granted it's been a while but all surfaces looked accurately represented to me and were stunning. i never once thought ehhh plastic looking. Maybe in screen shots some could point out a weak argument on that but when playing the game the sharp textures looked great.(especially over a year ago)
Look at the toilet scene posted previously. Particularly on the wall.

When flicking between the images before it's the first thing I noticed.

Look at the toilet scene posted previously. Particularly on the wall.

When flicking between the images before it's the first thing I noticed.
Mod : Removed trollism

Even so, 1 texture is not representative of the whole game

No, it's as blurry as before. Maybe a little less, but still looks much worse (much more blurry) than Xbox 360 version.
It certainly does NOT look "much worse" or "much more blurry" than the 360 version. If anything, based on these screens, it looks a tinge blurrier. Not terrible, by any means.

It certainly does NOT look "much worse" or "much more blurry" than the 360 version. If anything, based on these screens, it looks a tinge blurrier. Not terrible, by any means.

Just compare those Xbox 360 screenshots:

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/yoda-dip-jp/20081004#1223141168

with those patched PS3 screenshots:

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23044

The blur isn't gone. It's even visible on the hud.

Maybe it has become less, who knows. But it's still there.

Some guy has found the same weird bug on Splicers

000_3180.jpg

How did the guy manage to get that camera view? He sees through the dead big daddy's eyes?? :oops:

Maybe it's because you're comparing completely different pictures? I have a 360 and a PS3 and it's glaringly obvious when I switch inputs.

I am comparing the patched PS3 shot with the 360 version. Not the unpatched version..

How did the guy manage to get that camera view? He sees through the dead big daddy's eyes?? :oops:

I am comparing the patched PS3 shot with the 360 version. Not the unpatched version..

You're saying you can;t tell the differences and yet you're using completely different shots.

Common sense: If you want to be able to see the differences and you don't own both version to look at on your own screen, then you at least should be looking at pictures of identical locations. As close as reasonably possible.

Ergo, if you want to be able to see the difference, compare a patched PS3 shot to an identical 360 one, not one form a different location.

If you were comparing cameras, would you take a shot with one of the Grand Canyon and then a shot from the other camera looking out at a beach in Fiji and then compare them to see which camera you preferred? No.

You're saying you can;t tell the differences and yet you're using completely different shots.

Common sense: If you want to be able to see the differences and you don't own both version to look at on your own screen, then you at least should be looking at pictures of identical locations. As close as reasonably possible.

Ergo, if you want to be able to see the difference, compare a patched PS3 shot to an identical 360 one, not one form a different location.

If you were comparing cameras, would you take a shot with one of the Grand Canyon and then a shot from the other camera looking out at a beach in Fiji and then compare them to see which camera you preferred? No.

Common sense also suggests that your arguement regarding your output does not hold up since thats not what we are discussing about.

We are discussing about the possibility that the "blurriness" was removed with the patch. Why does this piss you off so much?

Also I am staring at an identical and "symmetrical" object. Whether I see it from the left side or the right side it doesnt make much of a difference. Besides the image from the 360 version was the closest thing I could find. Dont attack me for something I do not have control of

If you care that much about the discussion I would appreciate it a lot more if you found a direct capture from the 360 version from the very same angle. That would have helped much better

Ok, maybe I was being a little harsh. I apologize if I ruffled feathers.

It *could* make a difference if textures on one side were lower res, water effects are different, left vs right arms, etc.

I'll tone it back a bit. I may be frustrated that i just got SOCOM and the servers are either overloaded or down for added content.

I just think that there are a lot of variables in the scenes and of course it would be easiest if they had released comparison shots themselves. Wishful thinking, I know.

Maybe it's because you're comparing completely different pictures? I have a 360 and a PS3 and it's glaringly obvious when I switch inputs.
We're talking about the newly patched version of Bioshock on PS3 that hasn't been released yet to the public. Unless you're someone who works at 2K and has gotten a hold of a developer's copy of the game, you're not talking about the same thing that we're talking about.

The person who was trying to make the PS3 version sound/look worse than it actually is, HE was the one who brought up these "flawed" screenshot comparisons in the first place.

Aside from that, I think there's sufficient evidence here to display the overall level of blur or no-blur that's present in the screenshot. We are looking at the same object/model after all. From what I can tell, there's a very faint amount of blur or softening of the picture. It's very subtle, and could even be mistaken for 2xQ or something at first glance.

Last edited by a moderator:
IGN gave it a 9.4.

regarding the visuals:
IGN said:
This can also be said about some of the visuals within the game, which have received a number of enhancements, but also suffer from older, less impressive texture work. 2K Games went out of their way to make sure that the larger capacity of the Blu-Ray was used to implement higher resolution textures across the title, as well as improve some of the in-game cutscenes. For the most part, you'll see these appear as a slightly sharper Rapture across the board, and you'll be able to pick up some features that look better than on the 360, such as pools of water or neon signage. However, there does appear to be a strange mix of the older textures scattered in the title as well, so you'll find quite a lot of texture pop in that will occur as you move through levels. This isn't solely as you load up a new level; this can occur even as you move through a section. It doesn't ruin the game's beauty in the slightest, but it does stand out as a bit of a sore thumb.
2K Liz' comments on the IGN review:
2K Elizabeth said:
IGN has the final version of the game. Some of the movies and textures have been up-res'ed for this game. The graphics are not identical (as I've said before) to the 360 version, but very similar, due to the PS3 being a very different piece of hardware than the 360.

I'm sure IGN says it a lot better than me, however!
IGN's closing comments:
IGN said:
If you never experienced the halls of Rapture and have been waiting for its appearance on the PS3, there really is no discussion to be had. Go out and get your hands on BioShock -- you will thoroughly enjoy exploring the incredible story and the excellent action that the game is known for. However, if you've played the game before, or are expecting this to be the definitive version, that's not fully found here. Sure, the full trophy support and Survivor mode are great, and the Challenge Rooms could add a ton to the replayability (whenever it's implemented). However, old glitches that should've been fixed in the PS3 development hold this version back from being completely realized.

so it seems like the ps3 version is pretty much identical with minor differences between the two, and this seems to be a good port after all.

It seems more like reviewers once again have absolutely no idea about the visuals. Just like GTA4 being sharper on the PS3, with a more stable framerate?

IGN said some textures have been improved, and 2K Elizabeth seems to agree with those comments by IGN. Liz also seems to agree with majority and that the PS3 version is slightly blurrier. Neither of them are qualified to pass judgment on the technical side of things, but if the PS3 version was so much blurrier, i'm sure IGN would have spotted it. and regardless, it seems like both versions look very similar.

edit: Eurogamer review is up - 10/10
Eurogamer said:
So, the story is still great and still worth experiencing fresh. I could, of course, talk about the technical differences between PS3 and 360...except there really aren't any. Or at least none that my human eyes can detect. I'm sure that a future comparison article will tear the frames apart to lay bare exactly how the PS3 code stands up to the 360, but for the vast majority of players it'll be a moot point. It plays at a steady 30 frames-per-second, with no screen tearing that I could see. Should such nefarious factors appear in the boxed retail version, the options menu contains video toggles that should put things right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heh. Good thing we have picky people in this world to uphold standards. :devilish:

If you read 2kgame's Bioshock thread, someone claimed that the issues are due to lack of time (The team spent too much time fixing existing bugs and couldn't do more SPU work). Now that they have decided to do a patch. The "screenshot polices" will no doubt find and complain about every details to get the devs to fix them while they are at it.

The game looks good "as is". Can't say I don't appreciate everyone's work (The "polices" and the devs). :)

Let me add that Bioshock was almost unanimously game of the year in 2007 and this version at worst will duplicate it. In other words if you care about atmosphere and FP(s) p l a y t h i s g a m e!

That's a very poignant point, NERO. Bioshcok was GotY 2007, unanimously praised, scoring 96% on Metacritic. If people snub it because of word that there's blur, without actually checking out the visuals themselves to see if it's blurred to Betsy or not, it'd be a damning indictment on the susceptibility of people to gossip and trivialities!

Back