Bioshock PS3*

Nope, it's still very blurry even if 1080 modes are unchecked. It's all making sense to me now, because this all jives with my findings when I used to do dvd-bluray a/b comparisons with people where for the most part, most people simply can't see sharpness differences. For me, the difference between dvd and bluray is patently obvious, even at 15 feet away from a 42" screen. Likewise for me, the difference between these two pics:

http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/BioShock/BioShockDemo_02_360.png
http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/BioShock/BioShockDemo_02_PS3.png

....is huge. For most people though, they are hard pressed to notice any sharpness differences at all. So I guess I'm not surprised that some people just can't see the difference on Bioshock versions. It also validates my older point that when it comes to overall image quality, resolution is overrated for most people.

On the good side, the whole Bioshock sharpness issue has showed me that I've wildly underestimated my wifes ability regarding image quality. People here on this forum are so picky about image quality, yet amazingly they can't tell the difference between versions, whereas my wife picks it out every time in mere seconds even though she doesn't care about image quality. That's my girl :)

Heh it's funny I was also thinking about the difference between Blu-ray and DVD when I was going back and forth with the two versions of Bioshock. I mean a good quality DVD already looks pretty good on a 40" screen and when looking at it, one might feel like it's as good as it needs to be, but Blu-ray does bring more details, which is similar to this Bioshock situation and not everybody sees them on both counts.

Although on my screen the difference is not quite as big as those screens in your post indicate. I'd say the difference is about half of that, the contrast is weird on those pictures, as atleast on my TV the X360 version is darker at stock settings, but on those pictures the PS3 version is darker. So I think that there is something wrong with those PS3 pictures.

If you try a side by side comparison, you'd realize what I mean.

I tried the PS3 version first, then tried the 360 on the same spot, and I noticed A LOT MORE details.

I went back to the PS3 version to see if those details are missing,

and I found that they are all there, it was just the blurriness makes them less noticeable.

It's quite the opposite, those who claim PS3 version of Bioshock not being blurry at all, should all try the 360 version. Unless you're blind or you have a crappy TV, you'd see a world of difference.

Hell even BIA demo looked like a 1080P game after trying BS demo.

The game is 720p, not DVD quality. The difference won't be as great as Blu-ray vs DVD. I will need to check out a copy with a friend's 360.

When playing the game, I remember thinking to myself "This game has way too much blood" (My kid was watching because I missed the initial rating screen). I just don't see how you could miss the blood stains. May be some smaller spots here and there when in-motion, but the blood, water and effects are indeed abundant.

Maybe 60~70% of 360 version IMO :???:

Isn't 60-70% over stating the problem? Maybe 90-95%, but not 60-70. While it's true that art deco style looks really since with sharp line and sharp contrast and the blurriness isn't really in the PS3 favor, but it's really a beautiful game on the PS3. Yes, it's a shame that PS3 can't look as nice as the 360, but it's still a very pretty game.

I'm probably going to get ban for saying this, but f-boyism is alive and well on b3d. PS3 fans are saying that they can't see the blurriness, even though it's noticeable on 2K scaled down images. And 360 fans are making it a bigger deal than it really is.

Bottom-line, if you both PS3 and 360, get 360 version already...if you haven't shame on you. :) If you only have a P3, get it for the PS3, it's a game you won't regret.

PS, I'm not way affiliated BioShock...just love the game and art style. Just too bad about multiplayer on this game...

The game is 720p, not DVD quality. The difference won't be as great as Blu-ray vs DVD. I will need to check out a copy with a friend's 360.

Resolution is only one thing and it makes way more difference in computer graphics than what it does in movies.

Isn't 60-70% over stating the problem? Maybe 90-95%, but not 60-70. While it's true that art deco style looks really since with sharp line and sharp contrast and the blurriness isn't really in the PS3 favor, but it's really a beautiful game on the PS3. Yes, it's a shame that PS3 can't look as nice as the 360, but it's still a very pretty game.

I'm probably going to get ban for saying this, but f-boyism is alive and well on b3d. PS3 fans are saying that they can't see the blurriness, even though it's noticeable on 2K scaled down images. And 360 fans are making it a bigger deal than it really is.

Well said... except that without a reference screen to compare with, I still can't see the blurriness on screen. The scene looks good and into the game world I go. I certainly don't sit around trying to scrutinize the imperfections like some here do.

Bottom-line, if you both PS3 and 360, get 360 version already...if you haven't shame on you. :) If you only have a P3, get it for the PS3, it's a game you won't regret.

PS, I'm not way affiliated BioShock...just love the game and art style. Just too bad about multiplayer on this game...

Well... I am waiting for the game to be released.

Resolution is only one thing and it makes way more difference in computer graphics than what it does in movies.

Sure, but it doesn't mean that the base image is blurry though. It is 720p afterall. Note that I am not saying there is no difference between the 360 and PS3 screens. I am saying what's thrown on the PS3 screen is above DVD quality. It looks good enough that I wasn't bothered one bit (Unlike the GTA4 blurriness that I had to adjust to).

Well said... except that without a reference screen to compare with, I still can't see the blurriness on screen. The scene looks good and into the game world I go. I certainly don't sit around trying to scrutinize the imperfections like some here do.

Okay, it's me...I'm in the 3rd category...BioShock fan-boyism. ;)

And like you and many here...I'm curious as what would caused the blurriness if it's not intentional. And those that say to make it less plastic-y loooking, i would disagree it looks like a blurry plastic...

Well... I am waiting for the game to be released.

You won't regret it...

Isn't 60-70% over stating the problem? Maybe 90-95%, but not 60-70

That's because, it's not just the blurriness, but the..

inconsistant frame rate (the 360 version was running at rock solid 30fps)

ridiculous textures (like those found on the big daddy, live or dead alike. Some people say it's only the big daddy, but I'd say why the big daddy? He's the single most important character in the game)

very noticeable LOD changes (the first one I noticed was the whale on the opening scene)

missing details such as when you're hitting a dead splicer with the wrench, he will turn to bloody mess where in the PS3 version almost nothing happens

And the worst part is that this is just a demo, and I was already able to find so much

What would the full game provide?

I'd guess more downgrades :???:

I agree, for the most part. However, most PS3 owners haven't seen the 360 version, so it's not like they're (or I should include myself) saying it's not blurrier than the 360 version, just that it's not blurry (which it's not IMO). And I also agree that a lot of 360 fanboys are blowing this out of proportion. 2K's screenshots were not doctored and they look a lot closer than what that other site posted. 2K's shots are from the final build, and the other ones are from the demo.

My only complaints with the demo are the overscan issue, Big Daddy textures and the framerate can slowdown a little in certain areas (however its pretty good overall). Again, blurriness was not an issue for me at all.

That's because, it's not just the blurriness, but the..

inconsistant frame rate (the 360 version was running at rock solid 30fps)

ridiculous textures (like those found on the big daddy, live or dead alike. Some people say it's only the big daddy, but I'd say why the big daddy? He's the single most important character in the game)

very noticeable LOD changes (the first one I noticed was the whale on the opening scene)

missing details such as when you're hitting a dead splicer with the wrench, he will turn to bloody mess where in the PS3 version almost nothing happens

And the worst part is that this is just a demo, and I was already able to find so much

What would the full game provide?

I'd guess more downgrades :???:

I checked the official BioShock site quickly: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23044

Some of what you highlighted have been flagged in the above thread (e.g., broken BigDaddy textures in various spots, gore removed when hitting coprses with wrench). They have been acknowledged but there is no response from them yet other than the opening post in that thread.

There was also a contentious developer post in that thread, explaining the reasons behind the differences (I'll leave you to find it since his identity is not confirmed).

As for framerate and blurriness issues, it's been fine for me so far. If you have a 360 version to compare against and are unhappy with the differences, then you should get the 360 or PC version.

2K's screenshots were not doctored and they look a lot closer than what that other site posted. 2K's shots are from the final build, and the other ones are from the demo.

Those 2k's screenshots are quite tiny though and that seems to hide some of the blurriness, but there is something fishy about those other screenshots aswell, the truth is somewhere in the middle and the end result is still a nice looking game.

It's the shame the visuals have attracted so much debate - though they always were going to, especially given the inflammatory comments of the PS3 version looking "exponentially better" by previews. At the end of the day, PS3 gamers who have no other avenue to play the game shouldn't let a somewhat inferior port visually deter them from a fantastically great playing game.

The whole thread feels like a console wars thread. I don't see a single discussion about the game. Only comparisons, and periodic praises from people who played the 360 version. One may think that's because it was already discussed in the previous two threads, but console thread wasn't much different either, in terms of discussion.

Am I the only one who thinks the demo is (and was at the time) boring as hell.
I give them style (too bad I don't like it), and apparently story (which is somewhat spoiled for me :().
Graphics are almost decent though, that's about it.

So where the hell is fun? I only got the magnum like pistol in the demo and limited ammo forces me to melee (which sucks) most of the time to preserve ammo and plasmid. Is this supposed to be a survival horror game?
More importantly is there some kind of plasmid regeneration ability into the game?

I got that some people love the game, as the ps3 version coming soon it may be time to discuss the "why" part.

Alright so I played the ps3 demo the other day and one thing struck me, the audio seemed a lot better. More balance and better use of all 5 speakers when compared to PC. Then again I was using DD Pro Logic 2 on PC and it's always been a little iffy for me (not enough channel separation).

The whole thread feels like a console wars thread. I don't see a single discussion about the game. Only comparisons, and periodic praises from people who played the 360 version. One may think that's because it was already discussed in the previous two threads, but console thread wasn't much different either, in terms of discussion.

Am I the only one who thinks the demo is (and was at the time) boring as hell.
I give them style (too bad I don't like it), and apparently story (which is somewhat spoiled for me :().
Graphics are almost decent though, that's about it.

So where the hell is fun? I only got the magnum like pistol in the demo and limited ammo forces me to melee (which sucks) most of the time to preserve ammo and plasmid. Is this supposed to be a survival horror game?
More importantly is there some kind of plasmid regeneration ability into the game?

I got that some people love the game, as the ps3 version coming soon it may be time to discuss the "why" part.

Wow, you find the demo boring ? The shooting and whacking weren't that different from other games but the story experience stands out so far. In the full game, we will be able to hack into the patrol robots and also set up traps.

It's not MGS4 or LBP for me, but it is a very decent game.

Wow, you find the demo boring ? The shooting and whacking weren't that different from other games
I disagree. The shooting (in the demo) is a lot limited compared games that actually involves lots of shooting. Whacking, well, simply lacks depth compared to next gen games that involves a lot of whacking. To me, those would be unacceptable for either a regular/fast paced shooter, or a survival horror game. But this is a demo, there may be leveling up, upgrades, plenty of ammo or plasmid later in the game to make things interesting.
but the story experience stands out so far.
I respect that. Story presentation is top notch and what I know from the story is well above gaming avarage. Then again I know more about the story than I'd like at this point.

I disagree. The shooting (in the demo) is a lot limited compared games that actually involves lots of shooting. Whacking, well, simply lacks depth compared to next gen games that involves a lot of whacking. To me, those would be unacceptable for either a regular/fast paced shooter, or a survival horror game. But this is a demo, there may be leveling up, upgrades, plenty of ammo or plasmid later in the game to make things interesting.

Well there will be powerful plasmids and weapons which can also be upgraded with mods. In the end taking down big daddys is a very easy thing to do, which in the beginning is not :smile:

It's true that the gameplay in itself is not industry leading and it get's repetitive, but as awhole it is better than most games. The world of Rapture just immerses you in and it's an enjoyable horror/shooter joyrney.

Alright so I played the ps3 demo the other day and one thing struck me, the audio seemed a lot better. More balance and better use of all 5 speakers when compared to PC. Then again I was using DD Pro Logic 2 on PC and it's always been a little iffy for me (not enough channel separation).

Thats not suprising since the PS3 version is probably using DD5.1 via real time encoding.

The PC version will do that as well but you need the hardware to enable it.

I've played the demo and it reinforces what I already believed; I must absolutely purchase this game and anyone who has ever cared about FP (let alone FPS) must play this game. It is about immersion and a new type of atmosphere and storytelling (from reviews I'd read a year ago). It's an ecosystem I can't wait to be a participant in.

As for the actual demo, I loved how it looked and enjoyed the small taste it gave of the world. I am not in a position to compare it to the other versions but will only say if you haven't played it and don't own the other platforms - buy it. One of the posters (I think Betan) seemed uncertain of the game and its mechanics. Read the plethora of reviews on Metacritic.

Back