Bioshock PS3*

From a technical standpoint, they didn't do too badly on PS3... I don't think there is anything to worry about from a gameplay point-of-view. The game has already been made and just requires porting. With one game already on their belt for PS3, surely they'll be able to do a decent port.

Since i don't have an Xbox 360, nor a high end PC that can run BS at acceptable quality level, i'll be picking this game as soon as it hits the store.
I just hope the graphics and framerate will be as good or better, then on Xbox 360.

From a technical standpoint, they didn't do too badly on PS3... I don't think there is anything to worry about from a gameplay point-of-view. The game has already been made and just requires porting. With one game already on their belt for PS3, surely they'll be able to do a decent port.

Wasn't Dark Sector 576p on the PS3?

Google seems to think it was 1152x640P.

Heres hoping bioshock is 720P.
right, and it made little difference... both games were virtually identical. not too sure of DE's background before DS, but i'd say they did relatively good for their first game on PS3.

as for BioShock, early screenshots are 720p if thats any indication of what the game will be.

The recent screenshots showed some hit on the textures and normal mapping. Hopefully they arent representative of the final quality

There hasn't been a non-720P UE3 game yet. I would assume the work is porting the non-UE3 special effects.

Let's just hope as the artical implies it's only coding work.
Why would they do anything other than that for a port? The only thing to be worried about is if the visual fidelity and performance carries over in the port. Especially the performance. Bioshock is a rare game on x360/ps3 in that it actually keeps a consistent 30fps without tearing and if you disable v-sync the game reaches 60fps.

I didn't like it.
Did you not like it technically and graphically, or did you not like it gameplay-wise, story-wise, etc.? ...because it's not like they're going to be involved in that last part. (Even whatever minimal additional content may show up would, I'm sure, be created and adjudicated from 2K's end and passed through Digital Extreme's coding arm.

Did you not like it technically and graphically, or did you not like it gameplay-wise, story-wise, etc.? ...because it's not like they're going to be involved in that last part. (Even whatever minimal additional content may show up would, I'm sure, be created and adjudicated from 2K's end and passed through Digital Extreme's coding arm.

I didn't like the gameplay or the controls . Technically I had no problem with it except some effects seemed overdone. But I feel that way about most games nowadays. As long as 2K does the final tweaking I'm happy.

PS3 Trophies confirmed by Digital Extreme programmer:

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/inside2.html

While working on BioShock PS3, I had the opportunity to be one of the first developers to make use of the new PSN Trophy system. Trophies are unlocked by completing specific in-game challenges, and are a much-anticipated feature among PlayStation fans. Each Trophy is graded based on its relative difficulty: bronze, silver and gold being the most difficult. Additionally, there is one platinum Trophy per title, which is automatically unlocked after you've earned every other Trophy. From a development stand-point, the Trophy system implemented by Sony handles most of the work: displaying notifications; storing the status of Trophy; rejecting duplicates; etc. The game simply initializes the Trophy system, and at the appropriate time, asks it to unlock Trophies.

Integrating this system into BioShock was fairly smooth for the most part, but as with any new console functionality, there were some bumps in the road. We experienced slight delays in the game when the Trophies were unlocked with each new accomplishment – for example when you first hacked a machine, there would be a pause before the Trophy showed up rewarding you. Additionally, we tackled the problem of processing multiple Trophies; if you were good enough to zap four Splicers in water at the same time, the system would want to give you four Trophies, and we had to smooth out the system so that even when you achieved several duplicate Trophies at once, the system only awarded you one, without delay. However, beyond these technical challenges, the Trophy system integration was by-and-large a painless process.

We're in the final stages now, which basically just means testing that Trophies unlock when they are supposed to, and translating the descriptions of each Trophy into FIGS (French, Italian, German, and Spanish). The Trophies themselves are beautiful – kudos to the art team who made them a perfect fit for the world of Rapture on the PS3 – and seeing this system in its final testing stages is a wonderful example of how far BioShock PS3 has come over the past few months, and how hard everyone on the team has worked perfecting each new aspect of the game.

I hope they also add Home support as rumored here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326824

when we visit the website of UK retailer Game we can spy BioShock’s supposed official box art:

What’s wrong with this picture? Apart from the Ripten watermark, you should notice the Home logo, suggesting BioShock has even more tricks up its sleeve.

The first PS3 box to sport this logo could be a sign of something special, or it could just suggest that BioShock will suport game launching from within Sony’s virtual world. Speculate away.

*Update* - The Official Website of Digital Extremes, better known as the developer who brought us Dark Sector but who are also helping in the BioShock port, displays the very same box art. This must at least be confirmation that Home will be out before BioShock releases in October…

Cool, if not totally unexpected, news on the Trophy support.

For what it's worth I personally don't think it'll be "Home ready" at launch. I mean a Bioshock Home space as some are speculating and Home items unlocked through gameplay. Fingers crossed though.

Cool, if not totally unexpected, news on the Trophy support.

For what it's worth I personally don't think it'll be "Home ready" at launch. I mean a Bioshock Home space as some are speculating and Home items unlocked through gameplay. Fingers crossed though.

Digital Extreme's are using a mock up lol Funny.

Rumor about extra content:
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2008/06/16/rumor-exclusive-info-on-bioshock/

Today we bring you exclusive inside info on Bioshock, one of the most anticipated PS3 games of 2008 and due to be released at the end of the year. As always with all our inside info, we remind you it’s still a rumor until its official. So without further or do, here are the the exclusive details we have for you…

* New opening video around 6 minutes long on how life was like before Rapture went bad. Original video starts after this one ends.
* Trophies of course will be in the game
* Exclusive new level, with 2 new enemies, thought to be the ‘zoo’ level that was excluded from the original 360 edition due to running out of time
* Some levels may have been tweaked from the 360 version
* All downloadable content after the release will be free
* The game will take advantage of the SIXAXIS motion sensing technology
* Slightly better Graphics, less pop-up and loading times decreased thanks to hard drive install

It would be great, if the port will actually feature a new level and opening video.

Back