NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, starting with some future driver release (possibly 340.), NVidia will get rid of the support of DX10 cards, and only Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell will be given support...

Say hello to AMD number 2 :LOL:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3473

That's pretty good. AMD dropped support of pre directx 11 cards nearly 2 years ago.

http://www.techpowerup.com/164573/amd-to-drop-support-for-pre-hd-5000-gpus-with-catalyst-12-7.html

I guess AMD cutting support so much earlier makes sense considering their resources.

So, starting with some future driver release (possibly 340.), NVidia will get rid of the support of DX10 cards, and only Fermi, Kepler and Maxwell will be given support...
Say hello to AMD number 2 :LOL:
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3473

They'll still support the older cards with driver release 340.x, which will be actively updated until at least 2016. Historically NVidia's been good with maintaining parallel legacy driver support. They're even better with Linux; they're actively maintaining four parallel driver sets (173.x, 304.x, 331.x, 334.x, and maybe even still 319.x.)

The old DX10 cards will see diminishing support with new games going DX11+ only. But as of today my dear old GTX260 can run most things at good settings on a 1440x900 LCD. That turned out to be a way better choice than the HD4870 I was considering at the time (plus 1GB 4870s were overpriced then). Still used the 260 up until ~1.5 years ago.

2014 : GTX 260 enters legacy support
2012 : 4870 is dropped altogether

I give AMD benefit of the doubt, they ought to support Radeon 5000/6000 for quite longer than their previous products because of Trinity, Richland and Bobcat (as long as they sell FM2/FM2+ which will be for a while)

Radeon 4000 and down are great fun with Win8. The Catalyst Legacy 13.4 and 13.9 packs have come with a semi broken CCC that doesn't display video playback options. I need CCC to disable their ugly video post processing so I use Cat 13.1. Also, no driver other than the Windows Update release works with Netflix because of some DRM bug so you actually need to remove the driver after CCC is working. CCC works with the WU driver if you first install the Catalyst driver.

There is no Win 8.1 package at all and so if you want CCC you need to manually force the Win8 driver to install thru device manager and then install the rest normally.

I also like to reminisce over how bad 12.x was for the 4000 series. They created a lot of problems that year. And then in fall 2011, Cat 11.x, we had the Rage disaster. :)

Radeon 4000 and down are great fun with Win8. The Catalyst Legacy 13.4 and 13.9 packs have come with a semi broken CCC that doesn't display video playback options. I need CCC to disable their ugly video post processing so I use Cat 13.1. Also, no driver other than the Windows Update release works with Netflix because of some DRM bug so you actually need to remove the driver after CCC is working. CCC works with the WU driver if you first install the Catalyst driver.

There is no Win 8.1 package at all and so if you want CCC you need to manually force the Win8 driver to install thru device manager and then install the rest normally.

I also like to reminisce over how bad 12.x was for the 4000 series. They created a lot of problems that year. And then in fall 2011, Cat 11.x, we had the Rage disaster. :)

Are you referring to the Netflix app under Metro/Modern UI? If so then you might just need to reinstall Silverlight. I wrote about my my solution in another thread.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=64822

Just a thought.

I've posted in a couple of threads about my woes in getting the Netflix app under Metro in Windows 8/8.1 to work.

It now seems likely that the cause of my woes with Netflix were due to my installation of Silverlight to have rotted.

Out of the blue I wasn't able to use Amazon Instant Video and so I ran through their checklist of things to do. One of the last things to do was this.

If you're still experiencing streaming issues, go to Microsoft Support to uninstall and reinstall the Silverlight player:

I now had my Amazon Instant Video back and, feeling on to something, I tried Netflix again and I was now successful in using it.

I had googled this problem and I wasn't alone. Hopefully people will stumble on this fix by googling.

P.S. The HTTPS Everywhere addon for Firefox
also caused me a problem at Amazon. I had to change that up to get the videos to play.

2014 : GTX 260 enters legacy support
2012 : 4870 is dropped altogether

I give AMD benefit of the doubt, they ought to support Radeon 5000/6000 for quite longer than their previous products because of Trinity, Richland and Bobcat (as long as they sell FM2/FM2+ which will be for a while)

Err, 4870 is still on the Legacy-driver support, just like every other pre-DX11 HD-series card is. Latest Legacy-driver was released last October

I wanted to edit my post to say there is some legacy stuff but no linux (at all), no win 8.1 and the Windows 8.0 stuff seems icky, maybe useful if you just want to run the GUI and some video playback if you use 760G chipset graphics or an old lowest end card.

You have to run Catalyst Legacy 13.1 if you want the video post processing options to appear in CCC. The actual driver versions in these releases have barely iterated since Catalyst 12.6 anyway.

Are you referring to the Netflix app under Metro/Modern UI? If so then you might just need to reinstall Silverlight. I wrote about my my solution in another thread.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=64822

Just a thought.
Yup it's the Metro UI Netflix. What happens with any driver other than the Windows Update driver is Netflix will buffer up to 90% or so, stop and then error out. AMD just keeps pumping drivers out with this problem (and a semi-broken CCC). I really doubt much work has been done to the driver in the entire time it's been on "Legacy" mode. They aren't even willing to get it signed for Windows 8.1.

what is the accuracy of this graph:
klvGDJV.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back