NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
[...]Gross margin exceeded our expectations for the quarter, primarily as a result of strong demand and the high-end segments of our desktop GPU products[...]

I see everyone is gearing up for BF3 :p

Joking aside, this is great news. We need at least 2 successful IHVs.

http://pressroom.nvidia.com/easyir/...383&releasejsp=release_157&typ=64&xhtml=true]

Net income was $581.1m this year up from $253.1m last year.

Looks like that Tegra strategy is working out for them. That and pro graphics cards. This was pretty much a banner year for Nvidia. Almost $600m net profit on a GAAP basis, in a real, non-GAAP basis they made $734m. Hands up for people who doubted JHH when he moved away from consumer GPUs as the primary focus?

Not bad but EPS came in a few cents below estimates and the stock got hit pretty hard in after hours trading. Tegra's potential is already priced into the stock and it seems to be bearing fruit slower than expected.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/15/us-nvidia-idUSTRE81E2AF20120215

NVIDIA's First Quarter Outlook Misses Street View

It looks as though NVIDIA's shares are taking a hit after its first quarter outlook was less than analysts expected.

Nvidia Corp's forecast for first-quarter revenue fell short of Wall Street expectations as the chipmaker wrestles with a tepid personal computer market and more competition in smartphones and tablets, sending its shares down sharply after hours.

Anxious to move beyond its traditional business of designing graphics chips for PCs, Nvidia has jumped into mobile devices and late last year unveiled its new Tegra 3 processor.

Nvidia has said it expects Tegra revenues to hit $1 billion in 2012, with most growth in the second half of the year.

But with competitors Texas Instruments and Qualcomm turning up the heat with their own new mobile processors, many investors are waiting to see if the Tegra 3 chip finds its way into a top-selling device.

"The bottom line is the stock has moved a lot on anticipation of Tegra growth and they haven't seen it yet, and they're certainly not guiding on it," said Evercore Partners analyst Patrick Wang.

Not bad but EPS came in a few cents below estimates and the stock got hit pretty hard in after hours trading. Tegra's potential is already priced into the stock and it seems to be bearing fruit slower than expected.

Shares are up today. After hour trading - well usually is uninteresting. To many people react immediately in after hour trading without doing the analysis work :)

I am very positive about their 2012 prospects. Especially Tegra3 because now they start to get into smartphones and it still is 40nm, which means supply and yields will be no big deal - very wise choice from my point of view even if you loose the benefits of the smaller process node.

I noticed that Fermi cards have dropped in price a little bit at Newegg. Cheapest 580 is now $465 and $415 with rebate, many other 580s are under $499 also. Cheapest 570 is now $325 and $295 with rebate. Looks like they are finally starting to clear these out.

That's hardly surprising though at least with regards to their discrete GPU business, with AMD making nVidia's 500-series mostly redundant and people waiting for the Kepler line up. Makes sense that the volumes were low in Q1.

Forbes said:
Narrative Science, through its proprietary artificial intelligence platform, transforms data into stories and insights
It would seem the intelligence part could use some work. I also detect some rather nefarious implications of this technology, but that would hardly be new to Wall St.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back