NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems very shortsighted from Nvidia, as ususal. Sure, they may save a bit of cash in the short time by shafting their customers, but in the long run, it's not just those people who have lost out that will never buy another Nvidia product, but those in the greater internet and tech world that have seen this whole debacle and will decide to spend their money elsewhere.

It's bad enough that Nvidia screwed up and tried to hide it, but to not man up and see right by their customers..? That's just weak and shows that Nvidia is not a company to do business with.

I'm sure their number crunchers spent 5 minutes determining what would be the cheapest overall outcome. Spent as little as possible that they can get away with on replacement laptops and face the possible loss of sales as a result of their usual immoral decisions, or replace with much more expensive models taking the high moral ground and not lose, maybe gain possible sales. As a high-up exec in a company, it's not exactly a hard decision. You can't expect Nvidia to turn around and suddenly start making ethical choices?

I'm not Nv lawyer, but what configuration would you consider "fair" ?
We are talking about 2-3 years old notebooks (or more), no?

Similar performance laptop to the one you happened to have. That 2-3 years old top-of-the-line HP runs circles around the one they're offering, no matter which application you throw at it.

er so even when Nvidia is trying to cheap out on compensation, they take careful aim and shoot themselves in the foot?

They set aside $503 million for settling with Apple, Dell and HP customers, and HP ends up only costing them a paltry $23 million. They manage to get the class action law firm to sell out their customers, and to top it all off they get the judge to actually go along with this.

I'd say it is no less than brilliant.

And hey it's not as if they had much of a reputation left to ruin. Look at all the familiar faces in this topic!

And hey it's not as if they had much of a reputation left to ruin. Look at all the familiar faces in this topic!

<shrug> The facts speak for themselves. Any sane person would have a bias against a company that pulls this kind of shit on their customers. You'd have to be some kind of rabid corporate supporter to pat Nvidia on the back for this kind of behaviour whilst they pick your pockets.

Still, I don't suppose it matters to Nvidia if they burn their bridges, as they've gone all "post-pc". As the PC hasn't stopped existing, I guess it's more accurate to say that Nvidia have gone "post-pc market".

A friend of mine sent in his old Dell Inspiron 9400 and got a replacement 7900 GS. Actually we had replaced the original failed 7900 GS with a 7900 GTX which also died eventually! So the replacement just returned him back to stock. While the GTX died of bumpgate, the GS actually died of failed heatpipe. It was still functional for 2D but would overheat almost immediately in any 3D (it would auto downclock to save itself). I also managed to temporarily resurrect the GTX with the baking trick but it artifacted out again after a few months.

My sister also had a Inspiron 9400 that died several times, perhaps due to bumpgate (7900 GS again) but I wasn't there to see for myself because she lives on the other side of the country. After several warranty replacements (she paid for a 3 year plan) of the motherboard and GPU, Dell gave her a new notebook that was similar but had a much slower GPU. I would have probably fought over that but she didn't know better. She's a pretty serious RPG gamer but doesn't know anything about hardware.

I would be unhappy if I sent in a Core 2 Duo machine with a 17" WUXGA screen and got back that Compaq. Eeek. ;)

Does that mean Nvidia will need to replace everyone's 590's, including paying for re-designs for custom boards made by vendors?

Does that mean Nvidia will need to replace everyone's 590's, including paying for re-designs for custom boards made by vendors?

Doubt it. They'll just call the new version with the beefed up power circuitry a second revision, but they won't admit they screwed up with the qualification of the first model. They'll just hope the driver limits they implemented stick, and any cards that break will be quietly fixed under individual warranty.

I doubt they sold enough cards that they will get hit with a class action or anything like that.

Didn't the 590s need to be overclocked to blow up? Overclocking isn't exactly guaranteed to go fine. Although there is a new sense of overclocking entitlement brewing about in some enthusiast circles, partly thanks to how much the marketing departments advertise it these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back