NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if they can manage to get 20% of that market in the long run they will sell a lot more SoC units than another company is selling x86 CPUs. With their overall efficient cost model this is quite a huge opportunity.

20% is a lot when you consider the competition.

Tegra 2 is just about to get another bunch of announcements in Germany this week. I would venture that Tegra 2 will capture a very large portion of the tablet computer market by the end of this year, and they will build on that with Tegra 3 design wins being shown off mid-year for products in January at CES.

Hence Denver. Besides Qualcomm everyone else is using off-the-shelf parts. A custom ARM design is another way to get a leg up.

I don't think it's that simple?
Outside of the execution core I think the chips still differ.

OMAP4 has a dual channel memory implementation while Tegra 2's controller is quite efficient etc.. and the GPU and then the DSPs. Then the value added services- DRM, vertical platforms, promotion (Tegra Zone for Android etc)

In fact I think the execution core is the least of their problems. Qualcomm might have a different target in mind when doing Snapdragon (or just NIH mentality ;)), looking at their 1Ghz 45nm SDs vs the 1Ghz OMAP3 phones in terms of battery life- but other than that, I don't think it's as consequential to design wins as other aspects.

2nd half of 2011 is what I am aware of for OMAP4's to show up at least for smart phones. That puts Tegra 3 right around the same time.

OMAP 4430 will ship in April in the Playbook, and the Optimus 3D will probably ship by then too. OMAP 4440 is scheduled for H2. Tegra 3 will be available in Tablets in August at the very earliest (and as speculated by Arun, most probably Wifi only tablets to begin with) and end 2011 for smartphones.

Indeed, I mean Matrox and 3dfx are thriving... whoops almost forgot S3... oh and Rendition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, I mean Matrox and 3dfx are thriving... whoops almost forgot S3.

which smartphone soc manufacturer are you comparing to 3dfx? (put another way, which company that's several times the size of Nvidia is going to decide to go away?)

I never made any such comparison, nor did I imply anyone was going away. I was merely pointing out that the logic you used in your previous post was not exactly sound given historical events.

As for TI and Qualcomm, I don't personally expect them to be going away any time soon. However, as you correctly noted, they are currently much larger than Nvidia and have about 3-5x the revenue of Nvidia. They also have about 4x the general operating / administrative expenses and are spending 2-3x as much on R&D. Qualcomm will be fine because they bank on licensing, and TI will be fine as they are a very diverse company. However, I imagine both will find it much less lucrative to compete with Nvidia in mobile SoCs in the future and may focus their efforts elsewhere. Obviously, you feel otherwise, and that is fine. You are certainly entitled to your opinion regardless of its foundations.

Indeed, I mean Matrox and 3dfx are thriving... whoops almost forgot S3... oh and Rendition.

Nvidia needs to prove they can compete yearly. They are currently the ones most likely to be the Matrox, 3dfx, S3, Trident, Rendition, whatever of the SOC world until they do.

It's one thing to claim to be able to do well and execute and another to do it yearly.

Note - this isn't to say they can't. But it's WAY to early to declare Nvidia as anything other than a potential contender.

Regards,
SB

Silent_Buddha said:
They are currently the ones most likely to be the Matrox, 3dfx, S3, Trident, Rendition, whatever of the SOC world until they do.
Again, I never made any such comparison. However, your attempt to put words in my mouth, especially in light of my previous post, is most amusing and telling.

As for Nvidia, they don't need to prove anything; they will either execute well and be successful, or they won't. Thus far I would say they are off to a pretty good start: first out with A9, selected as reference platform by Google for tablets, first out with quadcore, and Tegra 3 doesn't appear to have any competitors at its performance level, even Samsung is using Tegra 2...

Don't know if this is posted elsewhere: Link JHH basically gives away the next Xbox announcement (if you read between the lines), and I wonder what Microsoft's plans for mobile are... Dean was pretty clever with his questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... I'm not so sure about that. What I mean is I don't know that many people who determine their smartphone selection primarily on the basis of the quality of gaming experience. I daresay most smartphone owners are not even aware of the technical specifications of the SoC in the device they purchasing. I certainly can't imagine someone buying a smartphone without the intention of ever actually using it as a phone at any rate, or perhaps I am confused... does the NGP function as actual phone as well? I just can't really see any lost sales for the smartphone market due to the NGP, though perhaps I am mistaken. I suppose it could influence the tablet market, though these still feel like fairly distinct devices to me...

Don't know if this is posted elsewhere: Link JHH basically gives away the next Xbox announcement (if you read between the lines), and I wonder what Microsoft's plans for mobile are... Dean was pretty clever with his questions.

I'm skeptical of this quote by Jen-Hsun.
the expectation is within the next three or four years we’re going to bring to the mobile market performance that is nearly a hundred times higher than today’s’ PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back