NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I don't know how they can list them as built by nvidia anyway without getting sued over it or something.

Apple, Dell, loads of companies get their gear made by Foxconn and the like. It's just subcontracting out the manufacturing. Even AMD CPUs aren't technically manufactured by AMD any more. I doubt anyone will get sued for it.

Apple, Dell, loads of companies get their gear made by Foxconn and the like. It's just subcontracting out the manufacturing. Even AMD CPUs aren't technically manufactured by AMD any more. I doubt anyone will get sued for it.

Yes, but all those companies don't claim that those things are made by them. It may be somewhat implied, as they are Apple products, or Dell products, or whatever. The "designed by" aspect is fine, that's certainly truthful and many companies will trumpet that fact. But claiming they manufactured it is something else entirely.

I have a feeling that we'll see revised packaging at some point.

Regards,
SB

Heh, "Built by Nvidia"... 3dfx actually built their own cards. But to claim that a card built by Foxconn was built by Nvidia? Funny...

It wasn't all that long ago that "Built By ATi" was one of the best selling Radeon brands. Those cards were most certainly not made by ATi as they had no manufacturing capabilities. I believe Sapphire built them, but can't find anything more than forum chatter to confirm this.

It wasn't all that long ago that "Built By ATi" was one of the best selling Radeon brands. Those cards were most certainly not made by ATi as they had no manufacturing capabilities. I believe Sapphire built them, but can't find anything more than forum chatter to confirm this.

ATI in fact does have manufacturing capabilities, and they're located in Canada.
This can be seen from the "Built by ATI" cards having "Made in Canada" printed on the PCB.
Even today at least some of the cards out there are made by ATI (AMD) themselves, but they're probably not sold at all on retail channels anymore. As one example, there's Muropaketti/MuroBBS user with 3rd or 4th hand HD5970, which has 'Made in Canada' printed on it, meaning it's actual reference card built by ATI. The card obviously doesn't have any AIB stickers on it either.

As for PC Partner making "Built by ATI" cards (owns Sapphier, Zotac brands and builds cards for others too), I believe they did at some point, but only for limited (Asian?) market, and only FireGL's - in fact I think Sapphire even had the "Built by ATI FireGL's" on their site at that point. If they've ever made Radeons with "Built by ATI" brand on them, I can't remember such but could of course be wrong, too.

ATI in fact does have manufacturing capabilities, and they're located in Canada.
A sticker doesnt mean anything. Find me the plant that does all the building and i will find a plant that only puts stickers on it...

As for PC Partner making "Built by ATI" cards (owns Sapphier, Zotac brands and builds cards for others too),....
PC Partner is the ATI manufacture much like Foxconn is a huge Company that makes everybodys stuff.

nvidia is just taking the place of BFG(again) To guaranty shelf space at BB and have the complete "3Dvision" et all for Xmas.

So you're actually suggesting that AMD/ATI is putting "Made in Canada" stickers on their reference (press) cards even though they're in fact built in China?

It's difficult finding things going back that far, but one of the first links I came upon...

http://www.answers.com/topic/ati-technologies-inc

They had fully and partially owned foundries in both Canada and Taiwan (1995 and onwards joint foundry started in Taiwan with a few other partners).

Yes, they actually used to manufacture their own chips in addition to assembling their graphics boards themselves.

Oh, interesting, I hadn't known that ATI had aquired the graphics technology of Tseng Labs, one of my favorite graphics chip makers of the early 90's.

Anyways, I know they still manufactured boards in Canada at least into 2005, but I'm not sure if they continue to do so.

Sapphire was brought on board to boost board production (operating alongside the Canadian board assembly plant) with the 8500 or 9700 series of graphics boards? It may have been earlier than that, but I'm not sure.

ATI started the transition to fabless around 2000 or 2001 I think, but again my memory is a little fuzzy on that one.

Regards,
SB

It's difficult finding things going back that far, but one of the first links I came upon...

http://www.answers.com/topic/ati-technologies-inc

They had fully and partially owned foundries in both Canada and Taiwan (1995 and onwards joint foundry started in Taiwan with a few other partners).

Yes, they actually used to manufacture their own chips in addition to assembling their graphics boards themselves.

Oh, interesting, I hadn't known that ATI had aquired the graphics technology of Tseng Labs, one of my favorite graphics chip makers of the early 90's.

Anyways, I know they still manufactured boards in Canada at least into 2005, but I'm not sure if they continue to do so.

Sapphire was brought on board to boost board production (operating alongside the Canadian board assembly plant) with the 8500 or 9700 series of graphics boards? It may have been earlier than that, but I'm not sure.

ATI started the transition to fabless around 2000 or 2001 I think, but again my memory is a little fuzzy on that one.

Regards,
SB

I don't know the exact dates and time frame, but I believe once sapphire started building the built by ATI parts only the AIW boards were being manufactured in Canada at ATI's facility.

I don't know the exact dates and time frame, but I believe once sapphire started building the built by ATI parts only the AIW boards were being manufactured in Canada at ATI's facility.

At least up until the X1800 series, they were still assembling general boards up in Canada. It might possibly have been limited to the Crossfire X1800 boards though. I'm not certain on that.

Regards,
SB

This can be seen from the "Built by ATI" cards having "Made in Canada" printed on the PCB.
No. "Contract manufacturing" is a common industry practice.

Not sure where to post this, but I guess it's a sign of strain. Nvidia seems to be pushing a HAWX 2 preview benchmark that is broken on AMD hardware.

Is Ubisoft in NVIDIA's pocket and pushing technology while ignoring the company with the largest DX11 market share? Is NVIDIA pushing a benchmark of a yet-to-be released game that is somewhat broken on its competitors cards? We know NVIDIA's current GPU has more Tessellation power than AMD's latest, but we have yet to see it make a difference in anything besides a benchmark. I think this shows NVIDIA grasping at straws and I don't think it has anything up its sleeve that AMD does not already have as well; like refinements in TSMC's 40nm process.

We suggest you do not use this benchmark at present as it has known issues with its implementation of DirectX® 11 tessellation and does not serve as a useful indicator of performance for the AMD Radeon™ HD 6800 series.

Would be interesting to know what issues they are referring to, that can be worked around in a driver. Is Ubisoft not using adaptive tessellation or something? If it works on AMD hardware and is just slow that suggests Ubisoft isn't being "smart" about its use of tessellation and AMD may reduce the tessellation load in its drivers. That would be an interesting move since it'll start the "driver optimization" wars all over again, just this time it will be tessellation levels and not filtering quality or shader replacement like in the past.

Someone should tell Apple that nVidia's chipset business is dead - new Macbook Air with MCP89:
http://www.apple.com/de/macbookair/specs.html

You know it's been official for a while, right?

the MCP product line will do well this year, although it is our last chipset for Intel processors. You know, we are expecting MCP-89 to be far, far superior to what you can see get on an Avondale[I guess that's a transcription mistake] or any integrated CPU from Intel today and so I think we are going to see it do quite nicely.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/189...-01-30-10-earnings-call-transcript?part=qanda

well so far the allegations are one (very) sided however given nv's past (and in particular with Ubisoft - Assassins Creed anyone ?) is anyone really that surprised >? As usual the truth usually lies somewhere in between each party's POV, how far from one end or the other ..

I was skimming the HardOP-thread, and I'm not entirely sure the people understand the "problem" AMD has with it. It's not about showing one or the other is better, it's about making one product appear better than it is and/or to make the other product to appear less than it is.
I guess a lot of people already are that "educated" that they understand you do not compare a 128MB framebuffer card with a 1024MB one, despite 128MB uses single-PCB quad-SLI/CF it will loose and not because it's the worst competitor, but because the tested resolution does simply not allow a comparison, and that is the purpose of a test, no?
... it's a no-brainer, for me at least: give chances in fairness (if you like overfavour the competition, just makes you look better) and try to win humble. But the market is a savage beast ... eh. :(

what's " new" about a SU9400? it's over two year old tech in there.. fitting for nv's MCP business.

MCP89 is based on GT216. It has 48 GT200 based shaders. The 9400 had 16 G84 based shaders. MCP89 just came out this year. So you're wrong here, it's not the same as the 9400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back