NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping somebody else would point out the following little gem from Charlie..

To make matters worse, sources in both Santa Clara and the far east tell SemiAccurate that Nvidia is canceling wafer starts on 40nm.

Thoughts?

A bit surprised? Unless Nvidia is running into some semi-serious financial difficulties combined with low demand and/or low margins (due to low yields) of what they are able to manufacture. I can't really see why they'd cancel wafer starts with a presumably profitable GF104. If all they had was GF100, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

But without some serious insider info, there's just no way to tell 1) if they actually are cancelling wafer starts and 2) the reasons behind such a move.

Regards,
SB

a brainfart I've had : why not allow SLI on AMD chipsets?
the only other way is with an Intel X58, and high end nvidia chipsets for AM3 or socket 775 have felt irrelevant.

actually the only relevant nvidia chipsets I can think of are the ION (a rebranded geforce 9300, on the way out) and the nforce 720d (cheapest Asrock and Gigabyte mobos with a decent power stage)

A bit surprised? Unless Nvidia is running into some semi-serious financial difficulties combined with low demand and/or low margins (due to low yields) of what they are able to manufacture. I can't really see why they'd cancel wafer starts with a presumably profitable GF104. If all they had was GF100, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

But without some serious insider info, there's just no way to tell 1) if they actually are cancelling wafer starts and 2) the reasons behind such a move.

Regards,
SB

There is a possibility that they are cancelling wafer starts of dies other than GF104.

I can only assume that GT21x production has to cease at some point and with all this economic turmoil in China and Europe, you could only explain a lesser demand for those products.

I was hoping somebody else would point out the following little gem from Charlie..

Thoughts?

Well their revenue for Q2 went from an expected ~960 million to ~810, which can only mean that they didn't sell as much as they thought they would.

So it only makes sense that they would cancel a few wafer starts.

Thank you one & all.

I believe I can now stop running in circles, waving my hands in the air & shouting "the sky is falling". ;)

Shame nV can't sell their wafers to ATi, at inflated prices of course. :runaway:

Yeah I'm waiting for the fire sale on Nvidia's conference room chairs

Ooooooooow! I need a new chair. I bet Jensen has a nice big one. :LOL:

There's little point in stuffing the inventory channel when it's already been stuffed and you're still trying to get rid of what you've got. Especially in this industry, you run the risk of being stuck with a load of outdated product as your next product cycle comes around.

I'm curious how long nvidia will continue to keep exclusive vendors. Evga and others surely must be looking at carrying ati products just to survive.

This happened today, a historic one... when was the last time amd had more market share than nvidia..? 2006?

nvidia_doomed.jpg

I'm curious how long nvidia will continue to keep exclusive vendors. Evga and others surely must be looking at carrying ati products just to survive.

I thought exclusive vendorship would have died late 2008, early 2009. I'm shocked it still exists today in 2010.

EVGA,1 Galaxy, PNY, Palit (including Gainward, owned by Palit) and Sparkle at least come to mind

the rest are all subsidiaries (i believe) of other manufacturers that also make AMD cards, rolling off the same assembly line doesn't sound "exclusive" to me.

the rest are all subsidiaries (i believe) of other manufacturers that also make AMD cards, rolling off the same assembly line doesn't sound "exclusive" to me.

Palit at least isn't, and owns only Gainward from other brands, thus making only nV on their "own brand" and subsidiary.
PNY isn't anyones subsidiary either. Not sure about the rest though, but I don't think they're subsidiaries either. I left for example Zotac out because I know it's PC Partners subsidiary like Sapphire is

I think ATI mentioned a while ago that they had enough partners and didn't want any more. That means exclusive NVIDIA partners will have to remain so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back