NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So that court case was settled? Who won it as last I knew they were in court over that.

To my understanding, both lawsuits (Intel sued NVIDIA for patent license violation, while NVIDIA countersued) are not concluded yet. Some had speculated that Intel's huge settlement with AMD may be related to this (because if NVIDIA is able to charge Intel for anti-competitive behavior with this, they may be able to claim something quite big, so Intel doesn't want NVIDIA to get any help from AMD in this case).

Why would the fact that NV canceled a chipset product imply that a case course was settled?

This logic baffles me.

DK

Because last I had heard, it was on hold(lithographs are done and have been sent in and sample silicon tested, just nothing else til court case is resolved) until the court case was settled. Alot easier to move foward with a product once legalities are cleared than it is to buy yourself out of possible financial impediment because you went ahead with something to market that you shouldn't have.

Even if they were to win the case they'll be lucky if the current design isn't obsolete by then. Short term the best result would be a cash settlement.

Zing! I think Charlie was actually kind in his article, this is a pretty big screwup given how much they have riding on Tegra.

Zing! I think Charlie was actually kind in his article, this is a pretty big screwup given how much they have riding on Tegra.

Maybe, but looking at the specs from the Zune HD and its battery life which is excellent I find his assertion that it is all the fault of nvidia having hot chips that miss their specs silly.

To me what is more likely is that Nvidia wants more money for their chips than competitors with inferior ability. This is a business and if you can buy 90% of the capability for 70% of the price and no other competitor is jumping on tegra then why would you? As long as your phone has the right logo on it, looks shiny with a good skin job, or whatever else it will sell. If HTC put a tegra into one of their phones I imagine suddenly a bunch of competitors would want to as well. Nvidia is losing out though since they are missing the window of opportunity where their device is superior by a good bit.

Sxotty, if that was the problem I don't think they would get the design win in the first place?

Well obviously we disagree on that :) I certainly remember when AMD wasn't getting into any products despite better CPUs. Perhaps that colors my thinking.

Well obviously we disagree on that :) I certainly remember when AMD wasn't getting into any products despite better CPUs. Perhaps that colors my thinking.

There was one intel. TI/Qualcomm/Freescale/Samsung.. compete in smartphone SoC market. IOW, this market is too fragmented for dirty tactics to work.

There was one intel. TI/Qualcomm/Freescale/Samsung.. compete in smartphone SoC market. IOW, this market is too fragmented for dirty tactics to work.

But it doesn't need to be dirty tactics if one chip is more expensive and faster and another is cheaper and slower. Dirty tactics are only necessary if you have a slower more expensive chip beating another competitor, but obviously that happens as well (though I am not saying in this case)

If no competitor builds a phone with the fast chip no one wants to be the first to do it as it involves a risk. If they cannot demand a premium for their phone and still sell the same number then they will lose money compared to sticking with the status quo. If on the other hand another competitor uses the more expensive chip, sells at a premium, and increases demand then everyone will jump on the band wagon and try to copy them.

To me what is more likely is that Nvidia wants more money for their chips than competitors with inferior ability. This is a business and if you can buy 90% of the capability for 70% of the price and no other competitor is jumping on tegra then why would you?

And if those other chips have lower power useage = greater battery life at 90% of the performance for 70% of the price, a company would have to be an idiot to go for the more power hungry and expensive chip.

I haven't kept up on this, but has anyone other than MS with the Zune HD gone with Tegra for a mobile device?

Regards,
SB

Maybe, but looking at the specs from the Zune HD and its battery life which is excellent I find his assertion that it is all the fault of nvidia having hot chips that miss their specs silly.

Depends. Considering that 99.9% of what a Zune does is completely offloaded, the power management doesn't have to be that good or complex to get decent results. Things drastically shift when you take that same hardware and put it into a phone environment with more dynamic power management requirements.

Depends. Considering that 99.9% of what a Zune does is completely offloaded, the power management doesn't have to be that good or complex to get decent results. Things drastically shift when you take that same hardware and put it into a phone environment with more dynamic power management requirements.

I was comparing it to other MP3/video/wifi devices such as the ipod touch and so on. Once these microsoft phones come out, if anyone buys them (which I would not since social media doesn't get me excited) then we will have a better metric to compare.

I'm not sure why that one laptop has any bearing on how Nvidia is faring with Calpella. In any case after a cursory browse at the big sites - Dell, Sony et al - I don't see a significantly higher number of Nvidia offerings in Calpella notebooks.

Dell's ipad competitor to use Tegra 2.

Decent win for the boys in green, but of course none of the also-rans stand a chance of garnering anywhere near the mindshare of the actual ipad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back