NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the ION 40 nm? That would account for a large chunk of that.

Regards,
SB

I remember this con-call: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/...5_of_Its_Products_to_Be_40nm_By_Year_End.html

where they talk about 25% of their products being 40nm by the end of the year. Not sure if that's still relevant though as Ion still is 55nm right? Ion2, i.e. GT218 is 40nm.

On a related note, stocks are $2 down since the new-year high of $19 and on the decline again. looks like CES didn't help making the shareholders as enthusiastic as the marketing department.

Indeed, almost the exact same % decrease as AMD's stock in that time period. They must have something in common :rolleyes: ...
There should be some Godwin-like law to stop savants who extrapolate short term stock market moves with long term fundamentals. Lacking that, one can only hope that they actually base their trades on their wisdom and let financial Darwinism do the rest...

Media ad spam, ad-contract funded reviews, retail partnership program to push much inferior nV chips/SKUs etc.

Doesn't help that AMD China is a slob though.

If above is the cause, money is the most obvious fix. Pine setting up another distribution network aint really going to fix it unless they can supply needed MDF's (or whatever other euphemism you prefer;)) themselves to get sales moving.

AMD really doesnt appear to have enough cash to do the above , probably better to become more of a component supplier(without trying to push their brand) and try and sell as part of a complete system than standalone cards so the OEM does most of the dirty work for them.

neliz said:
where they talk about 25% of their products being 40nm by the end of the year. Not sure if that's still relevant though as Ion still is 55nm right? Ion2, i.e. GT218 is 40nm.
Think if you count in units GT215 + GT216 and GT218 are enough to get to 25% on their own. At 55nm their is only really G92 and the older chipsets now i think.

Re Ion2, just saw (i think) gotosan's intel roadmap for the X68. P65, H65 and Q65 here...looks like as well as USB3/SATA6 intel seems to have doubled DMI bandwidth from 2.5 to 5 GT/s but that is still looks nowhere near enough to put graphics on unless they give up and use sideport memory.

Edit: Also on Ion2 think there was supposed to be a 40nm Core2 based Ion2 chipset somewhere, seems to have disappeared for some reason though(Intels reverse 32nm introduction with low end first perhaps played havoc with normal patterns).

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be some Godwin-like law to stop savants who extrapolate short term stock market moves with long term fundamentals. Lacking that, one can only hope that they actually base their trades on their wisdom and let financial Darwinism do the rest...

I agree. Most people can't see past their nose when it comes to financial analysis. And that applies to people trained in the field as well.

I agree. Most people can't see past their nose when it comes to financial analysis. And that applies to people trained in the field as well.

Stock went up today, first trading day after the white paper release. Wall Street clearly likes the increased triangle throughput. :devilish:

Looking at the piles of unsold 220s and 240s in the local MicroCenter (the one Shaidar shops at FWIW), I can see why they don't say 'Sold'. :)

-Charlie

LOL, you probably could call the local MicroCenter the one I shop at. I'm there all the damn time. I don't even want to know how much money I've spent there in the last couple years. I was just there on wednesday picking up a BFG GTX 275 OC and an Antec 300 to replace an 8800 GT with a missing cap and a POS generic case.

FWIW I did install a GT 240 for a customer the other day, purchased @ MC of course :p But I see what you mean, the shelves are over-flowing with GT 220s and 240s.

Just out of curiosity, why did you pick a 275 over a 5770 or 5850? I was there tonight and saw they had 5770s and 5870s in, but I didn't see any 5850s. I didn't check much either.

-Charlie

The *only* reason I've been buying NV cards lately is for Folding @ Home. Between my overclocked 285 (702/1584/2754) and 275 (648/1440/2304 - factory OC, I plan on OCing further) I get somewhere between 17,000-19,000 points per day. If ATi's cards could produce the same amount of points per day as Nvidia's, I would buy them instead. It's pretty sad when my roommate's beastly 4870x2 gets outperformed by my old 8800 GT which I'm passing on to a friend. If and when Pande Group ever gets around to releasing the GPU client version 3 written in OpenCL, ATi cards should finally start performing closer to their NV counterparts at which point I can look at replacing my 285, 275, and 8800 GTS 512 in my 3 gaming PCs. Hopefully by that time Northern Islands will be out and I can upgrade to DX11.

I still have something of a soft spot for AMD & ATi parts. I used to be something of an outspoken FanATic over at Rage3d but have moderated my views quite a bit since G80 and Conroe came out in '06. Sadly, I haven't owned an ATi card nor an AMD processor since the release of the aforementioned architectures. Holding out hope for Bulldozer and Northern Islands though.

For gaming purposes its all a wash right now as the games I play aren't that demanding (Titan Quest, UT3, COD4, L4D) and 3 monitors I use are a 1360x768 32" LCD powered by an 8800 GTS 512, a 1680x1050 22" LCD powered by the GTX 275, and a 1920x1080 42" plasma powered by the GTX 285. If I were running multiple displays or higher resolutions I could see the need for more horsepower for gaming.

I don't follow F@H that closely, but I probably should. I have enough hardware to run a minor sized war remotely, so it might be fun to screw around a bit. I am finally starting to get the time to play with hardware again, so F@H might be worth while to learn.

Do you have a rough idea of the disparities between NV and ATI cards, or have some good links?

-Charlie

I can give you some average point per day figures for my various NV cards with current projects over the last 6 months or so. Keep in mind all cards are overclocked by anywhere from 5-15% on the ALU domain, which has the greatest impact on F@H performance:

GTX 285: 9000-9800 PPD
GTX 275: 7800-8600 PPD
8800 GTS 512: 4800-5900 PPD
8800 GT: 4500-5500 PPD

My roommate's 4870x2 gets so hot and the fan winds up so high when folding that I actually had to stop because of it, but when it was running it would pull about 3000-4000 PPD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back