NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you basing this off of? IIRC XFX has one of the best warranties in the biz.

They can have one of the best warranties in the biz all they want, but if their products aint worth a hoot to start because of poor Q&A, whats the point? Search XFX forums for starters, compared to BFG and eVGA they have way more complaints of dieing cards/boards than the other 2 combined. Hell, the tech I work with bought an X58 board form them, they did everything they could to keep from issuing him a RMA for his board, and when they did, they board they replaced his troublsome one with had the same problems.

SLI didn't always work, TRi Channel 1 week after purchase only DUAL Channel worked. It was one problem after another.

They can have one of the best warranties in the biz all they want, but if their products aint worth a hoot to start because of poor Q&A, whats the point? Search XFX forums for starters, compared to BFG and eVGA they have way more complaints of dieing cards/boards than the other 2 combined. Hell, the tech I work with bought an X58 board form them, they did everything they could to keep from issuing him a RMA for his board, and when they did, they board they replaced his troublsome one with had the same problems.

SLI didn't always work, TRi Channel 1 week after purchase only DUAL Channel worked. It was one problem after another.

So, no real info, just heresay? Hmm...

Search XFX forums for starters, compared to BFG and eVGA they have way more complaints of dieing cards/boards than the other 2 combined.

Well as long as we are doing this scientifically...

The evidence for most of this sort of thing always seems about this bad. Namely non-existant. It would be nice if people actually tried to track it slightly accurately.

So first BFG closes down it's Europe business, now XFX Europe get's axed. Who's next...?

At this rate it won't matter then Fermi gets released - they'll be no one to buy it from in Europe ;)

So first BFG closes down it's Europe business, now XFX Europe get's axed. Who's next...?

At this rate it won't matter then Fermi gets released - they'll be no one to buy it from in Europe ;)

EVGA will still offer it... for $1000 premium because they are the only supplier. ;)

Don't know if this is worth anything but i heard a story last year about AMD/ATIs problems in China.

The market there is growing rapidly, over last few years ATIs market share was really bad well below what they were getting in the rest of the world. Lots of reasons were put forward mainly incompetence but maybe also corruption related.

Disappointedly in the intervening time not a single analyst/reporter has asked the company executives or PR about this...:cry:

Anyway the Pine Group(owners of XFX) since last year has been trying to setup a parallel dealer network in China to try and get ATIs products out, it goes under the name JingTai or roughly "King Titanium". I guess the idea was the new network would be more efficient or maybe just clean and ATIs market share would start to normalize.

Meanwhile on the other side of the fence Nvidia thanks to better dealer network and little competition was recouping large sales and profits from China. Obviously they would like it to stay that way not sure that they would actually do anything against Pine though, it could backfire badly.

For an example of King Titanium see this chiphell review: http://www.chiphell.com/2010/0112/135.html (can see the Pine Groups logo on the box on page 3 of the review)

Are they the same pine who used to make soundcards ?

Yeah i think they sold soundcards under "Pine Technologies" brand a few years ago.

Suppose above theory could be tested with PC Partner who distribute ATI products in China selling under Sapphire brand, also sell under Zotac for Nvidia based products. If above theory is true Zotac with similar distribution to Sapphire also should be selling poorly in that territory relative to the other Nvidia partners.

If above does end up happening is kind of a double standard as Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, PCPartner are free to supply both and still get the highest discounts

No it's not the partners, it's the retail portions screwing up ATI (NOT AMD, their CPU share in China is perhaps a reversal of the ATI scenario) in terms of pulling an illusionary brand loyalty cover-up.

Aka AMD China needs to pay more dividends... or perhaps you say... bribes. :LOL:

Yeah i know - it really seems to be trying to give the wrong impression though, from the text:

For some reason Anand above seems to think nvidia is likely to swallow this market whole.

He wasn't aware of NV's competition in the market at the time, or at least the details of the products. He is now.

-Charlie

I have been wanting a tegra based phone for ages, and now I will be wanting a tegra 2 phone :) Too bad no one seems interested in making one.

But but but.... what about those dozens of design wins? Phones that were going to be on the market in fall of 2008? And and.....

Ya think that Nvidia promised people a set of specs for Tegra and then didn't quite match it in shipping silicon? Then all those design wins went away? Can you imagine the surprise on their faces when they were shown the door for slinging bull in a market that actually holds a company to their promises?

Tegra 2 is not going to be a cell chip, the TDP is way way too high, it is 2-3x the OMAP4, and that is on the outer bounds of what a cell chip can be. Tegra 2 is a widget/crotchtop chip, a market that NV has sold tens of units to. Between the ZuneHD (ever seen one in the wild?) and Audi, they are likely going to move hundreds of units a month, and maybe double that with Tegra 2. At this rate, they may recoup R&D costs by 2041.

-Charlie

My complaint is that when I'm shopping for a laptop, due to the inane naming schemes of BOTH ATI and Nvidia, its takes 10x longer just because I have to effectively google every damn spec. So I would say that the customer IS getting hurt by this.

The reality is that BOTH ATI and Nvidia should maintain naming between desktop and mobile. If you are using the same chips they should be called the same thing, if nothing else as a benefit to the consumer (and even the informed consumer) and also as a benefit to Nvidia/ATI themselves. People have done this in other industries that were more healthy and wound up bitten by it. The whole point of a branding system is so that the consumer can look at a products name and know what they are getting. Right now in the mobile sector that isn't possible.

The only reason ATI/Nvidia can get away with it is that the GPU industry is basically pretty unhealthy. Which is why I really don't mind that 90% of the GPU product segments will be gone within the next 5 years.

Yeah, and thankfully Intel has cleared things up totally with the whole Core i3/i5/i7/CoreNumberNumeral/Pentium/Celeron/Atom thing. How many pins does the socket of an i5 have? How many memory sticks does an i7 need?

Physician, heal thy self.

-Charlie

Yeah, and thankfully Intel has cleared things up totally with the whole Core i3/i5/i7/CoreNumberNumeral/Pentium/Celeron/Atom thing. How many pins does the socket of an i5 have? How many memory sticks does an i7 need?

Oh, I agree, the marketing guys really screwed the pooch when they decided to make 1156 i7s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back