NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nvidia didn't really buy 3DFX. They waited until 3DFX was dead and then picked over it's corpse.
According to an ex-3dfx engineer, the situation wasn't that bad. It was a few (about 4) months to launch of new architecture (they had working silicon, there's a lot of in-game screenshots taken on it - something we can't say about another current unreleased product), UMC was willing to give them a loan and the only problem were stockholders which became scared and sank them.

According to an ex-3dfx engineer, the situation wasn't that bad. It was a few (about 4) months to launch of new architecture (they had working silicon, there's a lot of in-game screenshots taken on it - something we can't say about another current unreleased product), UMC was willing to give them a loan and the only problem were stockholders which became scared and sank them.

It was worse than that, the company was flat out of money by late 2000 and no one wanted to threw money their way (a group of investers were supposedly close to infusing some capitol into them but Sellers apparently slipped on the phone with one of them that 3dfx was also courting other options and they ran away). From my understanding they had one or two buy-out offers that would've kept them operating, but the board and key shareholders went with NV's offer, which was a higher figure. NV picked up some more engineers and that was that.

Makes me wonder, how can they honor their warranties if they have no cards to replace defective ones?

But didn't BFG already die a while back, and was resurrected by nvda its self like a shell company for awhile then let go when evga made its come back...?

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/12/10/opti.tries.to.eke.more.cash.from.gpu.maker/

Patent holder OPTi this afternoon launched arbitration against NVIDIA in an attempt to garner more royalty payments. It claims that the GeForce creator is breaching a licensing deal struck in 2006 for "pre-snoop" memory technology by declining to pay five quarterly payments worth $3.75 million.

I think the original agreement is/was $3.75 million per quarter, not total.

Anyways, nV spent all its money hiring Cartoonists or what?

IIRC, NVIDIA opted for that deal instead of the cheaper one-time cash payment, and part of the contract was that they could stop paying if they managed to patch up their drivers to make sure the drivers no longer infringe the patent. They did that after just a few quarters, and Opti nearly instantly claimed the change was not sufficient. I didn't hear much of it in a long time, I'm surprised it suddenly popped up again.

I'm not sure if NV is trying to deceive everyone by pretending that SW fix was enough, or if Opti is truly pushing patent trolling to the limit. Either way, fun!

Yep, mgmt of these AIBs need to stop being a one IHV trick pony.

Actually, it was NV that tried (somewhat successfully) to force the whole one-make AIB thing. It was a really dumb idea, especially considering how cyclical the industry is, but that is marketing.

One-Make AIBs give the GPU maker HUGE leverage over the AIB as well, and that is not by chance. If the GPU maker you are partnered with has an up cycle, times are good. Down, well, sucks to be you.

Then again, most of the big ones are just a brand, not truly one make AIBs, but the smaller ones are going to suffer. See.... well.... BFG.

-Charlie

Actually, it was NV that tried (somewhat successfully) to force the whole one-make AIB thing. It was a really dumb idea, especially considering how cyclical the industry is, but that is marketing.

What's an AIB? A brand or a real, somewhat independent company?

add-in board maker
like saphire, bfg, xfx, powercolor, zotac, gigabyte ect.
Ok, that's not what i meant - I can type in AIB in google and i know some boardpartners from both Nvidia and AMD.

So let me rephrase the question from "A brand or a real, somewhat independent company?" into: "What's the difference between say, sapphire and zotac on the one hand and for example gigabyte on the other?"

I think the answer to this is quite important to the matter at hand.

Ok, that's not what i meant - I can type in AIB in google and i know some boardpartners from both Nvidia and AMD.

So let me rephrase the question from "A brand or a real, somewhat independent company?" into: "What's the difference between say, sapphire and zotac on the one hand and for example gigabyte on the other?"

I think the answer to this is quite important to the matter at hand.

One has more of an ability to tell NV to get bent when they come and ask for silly things perhaps?

Honestly though, I would suspect it was that some companies already had strong brands, like Asus and Gigabyte, so were not going to sub-brand just for NV. Newer ones were forced to pick sides.

NV does the same thing with SKUs, if you want to put out a PSU that is SLI certified, it can not have Crossfire certs, even if they were pre-existing. OEMs were forced to make a separate SKU for ATI and NV, even though the products were exactly the same. This is so that dealers have to decide on picking the NV or ATI version, or putting out shelf space for both. NV was banking on them picking only NV for the majority of situations.

-Charlie

what you do there is get sli cert, then get xfire cert as long as you dont change anything to get the xfire cert you should be good to go :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back