NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should of put more polygons first

don't worry, I 'm saving their quotes, It's always nice to see marketing people facing their own BS a couple of months down the road..

What nvidia actually means is that it probably doesn't have good 3D vision support and/or PhysX, it's an inferior product. It will be even more fun if it shows up in their review guide a couple of months down the road.

Good, you agree your posting was moot. You were somehow artificially restricting what developers will choose to do with D3D11, asserting it's the design of D3D11 that creates this restriction, making for only subtle improvements in rendering.

Oh is that what you're nitpicking over? Sure, CS itself is just a programming API so you can code whatever you like to your heart's content. In that respect DX11 (via CS) opens up a world of possibilities. You could also argue that they could bypass the DX11 API altogether and code their pipeline directly in CS. But the potential isn't particularly relevant, it's what developers actually do that matters.

Right now, it looks like tessellation and image processing are the focal points and they are the subtle effects I was referring to. All better now?

And what a load of sensationalist claptrap that article was. Very surprising considering the author - subpar for Anand.

The belief that Tegra is the future of NVIDIA where it is and has always been the discrete GPU market. NVIDIA is not and will not give that up.

If push comes to shove, Tegra has enough upside to let NVIDIA exit the PC business entirely and just make SoCs.

It always it the same, over reaction and doom and gloom should either AMD or NVIDIA fail at its execution, significant or otherwise. As we all have experienced, AMD/ATI survived and came out stronger after the R600 and likewise NVIDIA after NV30.

A company like NVIDIA will re-strategise, re-architect and re-focus its engineering priorities whenever it comes across a significant hurdle as it has done now.

It seems impossible, even now, that NVIDIA would exit the "PC business entirely." That NVIDIA will be no NVIDIA.

Yeah I agree with that. Making predictions of the future of a company based on a lag of a few months in one product cycle is rather shortsighted for someone following the industry so long. AMD has had no answer for Nehalem for over a year yet you don't hear predictions of them leaving the desktop CPU business. Much of the doom and gloom is narrowminded sensationalism.

There's a lot more meat to the predictions of the death of Nvidia chipsets and of course their push into new markets is obvious - no speculation required there.

Nvidia partners in trouble
Nvidia's partnersare in trouble, and it’s not an isolated case. They depend on good sales of high-end cards and this part of the market is nonexistent at this time. You simply cannot buy any high-end GT200 based chips from Nvidia and this is something that is going on since August time.

BFG or EVGA, it's gotta be, can't think of anyone else whom would make so much money from there High end.

Damn shame too because BFG was one of the good reasons to buy an Nvidia card.

BFG has been in a less than rosy situation for years (this is not connected to whatever Fuad decided to blabber about by the way, just an observation).

One of my guys has been following this, but we haven't confirmed it yet. I know the source of the info, so I am insisting on a confirmation before I write. It is one of those two though.

-Charlie

Cringely: Intel will Buy nVIDIA:

There is a funky dance going on right now between chip giants Intel and nVIDIA and I just want to cut through the crap and tell you that no matter what the companies are saying it is likely to end with nVIDIA being purchased by Intel. Both parties know it and the only thing that hasn’t been determined yet is the price, which is what all this posturing is about.

Reading the article the logic for the action didnt come off the best, the last couple of paragraphs the author seemed to be having doubts about the idea himself.

Jon Peddie: Intel will never buy Nvidia

The cultural differences, acrimony, and belligerences between Intel and Nvidia run so deep it would be impossible to blend the organizations without a few homicides.

The above article is obviously off the cuff, but has much better quotes and logic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the size of Intel and recent shouting match b/w intel and nv, I'd say amd/nv merger seems more likely than intel buying nv. :smile:

lol, add Intel and nvidia's GPU marketshare up, and you already get over 75% without a single Larrabee.
plus you end up with the only entity that makes every kind of GPU, from mobile space to IGP to discrete graphics to HPC.
(I count nvidia's ION as their last IGP. a GT21x IGP for am3 motherboards is nowhere to be found apparently)

Cringely: Intel will Buy nVIDIA:

Reading the article the logic for the action didnt come off the best, the last couple of paragraphs the author seemed to be having doubts about the idea himself.

Jon Peddie: Intel will never buy Nvidia

The above article is obviously off the cuff, but has much better quotes and logic.
I just wanted to thank you for this post, it cracked me up hard! :LOL:

I'm agreeing more with Peddie than with the crazy guy, I just can't see JHH selling to anyone.

Considering the size of Intel and recent shouting match b/w intel and nv, I'd say amd/nv merger seems more likely than intel buying nv. :smile:

Heh, not exactly a good reasoning considering the shouting match between Nvidia and 3dfx just prior to 3dfx being bought up by Nvidia. :)

That said, it'll be a cold day in hell before Intel buys Nvidia, IMO. Then again we have been on a 10 year global cooling trend now, hmmmm...

Regards,
SB

Heh, not exactly a good reasoning considering the shouting match between Nvidia and 3dfx just prior to 3dfx being bought up by Nvidia. :)

Nvidia didn't really buy 3DFX. They waited until 3DFX was dead and then picked over it's corpse. Nvidia never had to try and merge two companies as going concerns.

That said, it'll be a cold day in hell before Intel buys Nvidia, IMO. Then again we have been on a 10 year global cooling trend now, hmmmm...

I don't think so either, not with the current boards of directors. It would be like putting two snakes in the same bag. I just don't see them as being any kind of fit at all, especially given the way Intel wants to eat Nvidia's lunch with a CPU-centric product. The two companies are trying to come at the same problem from opposite sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back