NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some should start a series of comics about fake cards and delayed products.

I don't want to take too much time.. but something like this...

beaems.jpg

They are.

Nvidia isn't saying very much then :smile:

Wet dreams of Nvidia's collapse aside, AMD isn't posing much of a threat right now, especially in the short term. It's a combination of things, including TSMC's problems but so far Cypress doesn't look like it'll affect Nvidia's bottom line for quite a while (if ever). They really need to have Cypress shipping in volume before year end to get a healthy head start - even now people are talking way more about Fermi's delay than they are about Cypress's qualities. That can't be a good thing for AMD.

ATis DX11 portfolio isn't based only on Cypress. Look at Juniper - despite its price, demand is high and supplies almost exactly cover this demand. This part can be pretty profitable for ATi, don't you think?

ATis DX11 portfolio isn't based only on Cypress. Look at Juniper - despite its price, demand is high and supplies almost exactly cover this demand. This part can be pretty profitable for ATi, don't you think?

Yep, it'll do well but how does that impact Nvidia's bottom line in a supply constrained market? Is Juniper impacting sales of G92 or GT200 - it's biggest advantage there is DX11 support, not price/perf (it actually has a slight disadvantage in that area for now).

Yes, price/performance itself isn't the best, but I think people like other qualities, which allow additional price savings. E.g. on power supply. Users of HD2600/3600/4600, which use typical 350W power supply don't need to upgrade it when buying HD5700. That makes quite a difference, because any other graphics card at this performance level requires more powerful PSU.

I've also calculated savings on power drain - well, it's valid only for local taxes, but the price difference between HD4850 and HD5750 will be returned via lower power bills during 1 year.

Taking both points into account, HD5700 is much more interesting option than HD4800 despite the price difference. In fact, total upgrade price is lower for HD5700...

I think many OEMs take similar logic into account, because PSU also affects price of the complete system (450W PSU cost about 50% more than same quality 350W PSU).

The 5770 has a not so good price/performance ratio with the 4870 being so low, but 5750 is quite good, as it is generally as fast or faster than 4850, has DX11 support and has better heat dissipation and power consumption. On newegg the price difference between the 1 Gbyte 4850 and 5750 is 15-30$ and it is expected to be lower as the "new card launch" effect wears off.
Yes, you can buy a 4870 that is generally faster with about the same money, but with no DX11 support and substantially higher power draw.

That seems to be pretty much exactly how Intel is not prepared to operate.

As the saying goes, two wrongs don't make a right. I never said Intel has always been or always is a class act.

However, Nvidia has quite often touted their own horn about letting their hardware speak for itself. Blasted other companies and encouraged reviewers to blast other companies if they do a "paper" launch, etc.

Basically, the past few months and even the past year, Nvidia hasn't acted like the company that pushed 3dfx out of business or the company that had been consistently out executing all of it's competitors (at least in the graphics arena).

And despite the fact that even if things turned catastrophic for them (I highly doubt it will), they won't be going out of business anytime soon. Despite all of that...

Resorting to a paper launch (Fermi) with a HUGE lead time and resorting to a comic satire website that basically boils down to name calling...

Well, that all reek's of executives scrambling around trying to save their jobs. Or a company with no direction.

Regards,
SB

Resorting to a paper launch (Fermi) with a HUGE lead time

That's why they've announced it right in front of the technically-savvy people (GPGPU and parallel computing crowd) who could have exposed the architecture as a scam in the first place...
I doubt they were there to learn about new DX11 and OpenGL-related features of the chip either.

/sarcasm

The 5770 has a not so good price/performance ratio with the 4870 being so low, but 5750 is quite good, as it is generally as fast or faster than 4850, has DX11 support and has better heat dissipation and power consumption. On newegg the price difference between the 1 Gbyte 4850 and 5750 is 15-30$ and it is expected to be lower as the "new card launch" effect wears off.
Yes, you can buy a 4870 that is generally faster with about the same money, but with no DX11 support and substantially higher power draw.
The prices of the 5750 and the 5770 at newegg has gone up. The 1Gb 5750 is $15 higher than MSRP, while the 5770 is $5-10 above MSRP.

They must be selling well enough for resellers to price gouge like that. I don't remember the 4800 series having much of that at release. I think some came with rebates even.

The prices of the 5750 and the 5770 at newegg has gone up. The 1Gb 5750 is $15 higher than MSRP, while the 5770 is $5-10 above MSRP.

They must be selling well enough for resellers to price gouge like that. I don't remember the 4800 series having much of that at release. I think some came with rebates even.

They should sell well indeed, as in this case there is not the same shortage as in the 58xx case (On Newegg all the 5750 but the Sapphire one are in stock) but there is the possibility that the retailers also are keeping the prices high in order to get rid of the remaining 4850/GTS250 stock. Or both.

Last edited by a moderator:
More likely there's also a bit of a supply constrain there also, just not as dire as the one with Rv870 based cards.

Controlling (raising) prices allows you to somewhat control demand and make better margins.

I'm wondering if AMD had issued some "instructions" to retailers/etailers not to price gouge on 5870/5850. I can't see any other reason why prices of 58xx cards didn't skyrocket immediately after release. Demand has far outstripped supply thus far which is primo conditions for a retailer to raise prices to get a temporary margin boost.

Regards,
SB

And newegg's standard systems automatically price gouge based on demand, which didn't occur until very recently. You might be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back