NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more disaster (GT2xx@40nm):

This is turning out to be a rough fall for NVIDIA. AMD has them undoubtedly beat in price-to-performance on the high-end of the market. And with today’s launch of the GT 220, it looks like AMD has them beat on the low-end too. There are very few NVIDIA cards that offer the right level of price and performance right now; the GT 220 is not one of those cards.
http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3657&p=15

Ouch....

Partners bail on GT200. Due to poor availability. Fudo.

This seems to tie in somewhat with Charlie's rumors that Nvidia bet the farm on that special production run of wafers for Fermi. Had it turned out well they could have started production on cards and the gap between GT 200 and Fermi wouldn't have been as large as it's looking to shape up to be.

And simultaneously they took a gamble that they'd have enough stock of GT 200 to last and stopped wafer orders to avoid a stock pileup similar to what they had last holiday season with G9x.

That's the only thing I can think of as to why Nvidia would find themselves in this situation. Still that's an awful lot of gambles hoping one thing would turn out fantastically well.

Regards,
SB

Well there's no way Fermi volumes could replace GT200 volumes even if things went well and GT200 is at price points Fermi would most certainly not venture into so that can't be it. Charlie's first article is the only theory that makes economic sense.

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=7876

Practically-speaking, the TS would be on a par with the Wii in terms of its processing power and graphical grunt. The new unit is set to retain many features of its immediate predecessor too – notably a DSi-style built-in camera and a higher-resolution touch-screen interface. Full backwards-compatibility is also on the cards, we’re assured.

Nintendo has sold over 100 million Nintendo DS systems and if NVIDIA does indeed power the next revision of it with a Tegra-based processor, that is a huge boost to the company's bottom line and could put the Tegra brand on its way to "capturing 50% of nVidia's revenue within the next couple of years."

Nvidia, not going away anytime soon despite the efforts of a certain ATI troll.

It is just another rumor. As are almost every other link of news in this thread including the chipset stuff. The relative credibility of the rumors is determined later.

Well, I don't think there's any serious competition for Tegra in the handheld arena is there? MS went with it for the Zune, and I wouldn't be surprised if others picked up on it.

Not so familiar with handheld graphics units, but pretty sure ATI doesn't have anything serious in that market segment.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks Nvidia is going the way of the dodo/3dfx anytime soon, but it certainly looks like rough times ahead for the short term.

Regards,
SB

Yeah that particular rumour has been around for a while now. If true, it'll be huge indeed. Who's making the processor for the current DS?

Well, I don't think there's any serious competition for Tegra in the handheld arena is there? MS went with it for the Zune, and I wouldn't be surprised if others picked up on it.

Not so familiar with handheld graphics units, but pretty sure ATI doesn't have anything serious in that market segment.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks Nvidia is going the way of the dodo/3dfx anytime soon, but it certainly looks like rough times ahead for the short term.

Regards,
SB

No, ATI doesn't, but Qualcomm who bought ATI's handheld etc department from AMD might ;)

Charlie's roadmap comes to life!

googlish

Today we also received a press release from HP on their Pavilion Elite High Performance Edition. This system claims HP (literal quote) "until January 2010 when HP exclusive" The GeForce GTX 260 Special Edition to deliver. Polling shows that a variant with 1792 GTX 260 MB memory, a model that - as our inquiry has demonstrated - not nVidia partners to order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back