NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cost of the GPU is not everything. If NV has to compete against 5770/5750 with a GT200b based solution the more complex PCB will also hurt their partners. Obviously it makes a lot of sense to sell no cards, then selling cards with a loss.
So this market segment is lost for NV till Q3/10 at least. I wonder how many exclusive partners will remain on the NV site at then end of 2010.

So, one side gives estimated numbers and says these come from researching and talking with people who know the details.
Other side gives nothing, just things like "I know that no one knows that" or insults "I'm so much smarter than you and everybody else".

:rolleyes:
Excuse me Razor1, but it looks like you are the troll atm. Either use some facts or don't argue. Its so simple.

Charlie, the stuff you cut out and that link, those guys do it for a living, if you want, I suggest you buy the yearly reports and then look at your numbers, if you can't afford to do so, contact them and see if they would be so gracious to give you last years info or the year before that, until you learn how to communicate and understand where I'm coming from (if you read anything in your life the about semiconductor industry and implicit and explicit cost models and evaluations) then I'll chat and I'll be all ears, at this point its pretty obvious you have no clue what you are talking about ;)
It seems to me that Charlie has done his due diligence and published hard numbers. They may be wrong, they may not be. But you have not posted anything to counter, just conjecture. No offense, but the term "put up or shut up" certainly applies here. "You have no clue" doesn't look like a group of numbers to me. Show us the numbers!

Does it make any sense to EOL a product, whose successor will come 3 months later? GTX285 isn't available for 1 month now. GF100 will be available at the end of November (at best).
Who's talking about EOLing a product now? That Charlie chap again? There is a difference between EOLing a product and lowering your inventory before an SKU change. Yeah, that's a hint.

There's no single mention about cheaper derivates of GF100, which would replace GT200 in terms of performance or price. EOL of GTX285 clearly isn't related to GF100. Different performance segment, different price segment, different timing, different manufacturing process.
Why do you think that GF100 won't replace GT200?

Show us the numbers!
The numbers are commercial classified information. And that's the one and only reason why Charlie's "work" here is absolutely pointless. He can't know these numbers and his GUESS is as good as Razor1's or yours.

The numbers are commercial classified information. And that's the one and only reason why Charlie's "work" here is absolutely pointless. He can't know these numbers and his GUESS is as good as Razor1's or yours.
Charlie gave us believable numbers, or an educated guess, or complete fiction, depending on who you ask. Razor1 gave us nothing, but at the same time claims Charlie has no idea what he is talking about. I think you can see the problem.

Does not sound so much like FUD. Surely they push their unique features more than the common features, but there is not that much FUD, as one would expect.

Well. they seem absolutely positive they will win back the performance crown...

in Batman:AA :runaway:
(there's that GTS250 - HD5870 comparison again)

It seems to me that Charlie has done his due diligence and published hard numbers. They may be wrong, they may not be. But you have not posted anything to counter, just conjecture. No offense, but the term "put up or shut up" certainly applies here. "You have no clue" doesn't look like a group of numbers to me. Show us the numbers!

That means they are not hard numbers.

What about this:

"PhysX is the most widely used physics API with support across all platforms; console, PC and even the iPhone."

Is that true? I just took a quick look at my PS3 games collection and saw lots of them with the Havok logo, not a single one with any reference to PhysX. Or do they mean the most widely used on PC?

What about this:

"PhysX is the most widely used physics API with support across all platforms; console, PC and even the iPhone."

Is that true? I just took a quick look at my PS3 games collection and saw lots of them with the Havok logo, not a single one with any reference to PhysX. Or do they mean the most widely used on PC?
That's true.
I'm not sure if PhysX licensing dictates anything about it's branding being on the box. I can't really remember if any PhysX game has any PhysX stuff on the box.

In terms of review units, we have a very limited number of units and we need to deploy them in a way that makes most sense. We can't guarantee a unit to anyone because there are so many deserving outlets, but you will certainly be part of the discussion.

So they are planning a paper launch with the few cards they have been able to make

So they are planning a paper launch with the few cards they have been able to make

Well it doesn't mean that, but yes I think so.

It doesn't mean that b/c it is in response to a question about excluding websites that do not toe the party line. In other words they need an excuse that sounds better then.

"We don't send them to anyone who will not give us glowing reviews."

Well it doesn't mean that, but yes I think so.

It doesn't mean that b/c it is in response to a question about excluding websites that do not toe the party line. In other words they need an excuse that sounds better then.

"We don't send them to anyone who will not give us glowing reviews."

That probably explains what appears to be certain people/sites praising anything Nvidia lately.

Interesting...

Here is a fact: We provided the Dev with an AA solution-funny how that didn't make its way into the final TWIMTBP title... HUH!

So AMD did, in fact, also provide a working AA implementation for Batman (probably just removed the VendorID, heh).

Even more reason not to buy anything from the Batman Devs ever again... No money for you... Thank goodness I was able to convince almost all my friends not to buy it also.

Regards,
SB

So, one side gives estimated numbers and says these come from researching and talking with people who know the details.
Other side gives nothing, just things like "I know that no one knows that" or insults "I'm so much smarter than you and everybody else".

:rolleyes:
Excuse me Razor1, but it looks like you are the troll atm. Either use some facts or don't argue. Its so simple.

Yeah thats just for the uninformed, as for the wafer costs I gave that range because nV's and ATi's wafer costs are not the same. Which I already stated in my original post on this matter. If Charlie is basing off his rounded off numbers and those number are the same for both nV and ATi, as he said he was, well the guys that gave him that number, tells you a bit about his sources. If you like there are numerous pricing schemes depending on the the process and choosen business model within TSMC, everything from evaluation and pruchasing TSMC's IP to create chips. Not only that a said budget TSMC will change its pricing structure and give different options, based on Time, Per use (design, project or device based), royality (per wafer), or a full access which is for multiple projects, also costs for support and mantainance and other features. the list goes on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back