NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right,

After asking if some retailers got any numbers for me I got this here:

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_message/32562453#32562453

30 of the 200 8800GTX/Ultra sold at his shop have been returned defective. He said he didn't notice it untill an abnormally high amount suddenly turned up last weekend.
He said he contacted his distributor and they confirmed they got around 30 back in that week.

So yes, that does put it a bit above the GTX280's number.

There was "one" editor invited too Nvidia this week. And it was not a press event. It was a one on one interview type thing.

Who are you talking about?
:?:

the only editor/reporter that i know that interviewed Jensen on the 10th was David Orenstein:

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2008/september10/building-091008.html
The Stanford School of Engineering today announced that Jen-Hsun Huang, the founder and chief executive officer of leading visual computing company NVIDIA and a Stanford electrical engineering alumnus, will donate $30 million to help build a modern and sustainable destination for education and research, the Jen-Hsun Huang School of Engineering Center.

The 130,000-square-foot building, already under construction and expected to be completed in the first half of 2010, is designed to encourage a vibrant academic and social atmosphere for people throughout the Stanford community.

"The School of Engineering at Stanford is a major source of intellectual energy for Silicon Valley and beyond," said Huang, who earned his master's degree in electrical engineering at Stanford in 1992. "I am proud to help the school build a headquarters that embodies its plans for the future—a place that encourages people to come together to create the next generation of knowledge and technology."

So now we know where his stock cash went to.

Yep, 30 Million dollars was needed for the engineering school. The timing of his stock sales certainly makes sense (now).

So, who *else* interviewed Jensen last week?
:?:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Nvidia having trouble keeping GTX 285's in stock? For some reason Evga and XFX models are either sold out or in low supply at the major US etailers. Newegg has none at all and there are only one or two models in stock at other places (Mwave has only 2 of 18 models in stock across all AIBs).

Any chance that Charlie is a victim of a dis-information campaign?

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/09/15/nvidia-gt300-yeilds-under-2/

How many worked out of the (4 x 104) 416 candidates? Try 7. Yes, Northwood was hopelessly optimistic - Nvidia got only 7 chips back. Let me repeat that, out of 416 tries, it got 7 'good' chips back from the fab. Oh how it must yearn for the low estimate of 20%, talk about botched execution. To save you from having to find a calculator, that is (7 / 416 = .01682), rounded up, 1.7% yield.

Nvidia couldn't even hit 2%, an order of magnitude worse than the most pessimistic estimate. Ouch. No, just sad. So sad that Nvidia doesn't deserve mocking, things have gone from funny to pathetic.

If he's right, he's been right for a while:

NV has nothing for Q4, they have no back to school part, they have no Win7 part, they have no Christmas part. If ATI has half a brain, they will leverage the only DX11 part on the market to shove NV out the door just about everywhere. I don't know if they will, but I sure as hell would.

People have laughed at what I predicted, but rarely do they go back and look. Even more rarely do they try and figure out why things happened the way they did.

-Charlie
Everyone points out when he's wrong, figure it's fair to credit him when he saw it coming too. :yep2:

OK, if this is true, how many months to do a respin?
(Respins?)

... & to be slightly evil .... should nV stop using the number 3 in all their products?

I think he deserves credit for his exposure of the Bump problem(Even if it was possibly blown out of proportion... I would not be surprised if many of the higher end cards start mysteriously failing around 2-3 years from now in droves).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back