NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So because I can spell properly I worship the guy? :rolleyes:

I did not say you worshiped him though if you say so I guess there is nothing wrong with that. To each their own and all that. I do say that knowing how to properly spell in English and spelling his last name are unrelated subjects. It seems relatively obscure to me hence your commendation.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1247549017293.html

NVIDIA today announced that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has initially rejected an additional eight claims challenged by NVIDIA in two patents that Rambus has asserted against it in litigation. This follows the USPTO’s rejection last month of 41 other claims in seven patents that Rambus had asserted against NVIDIA.

NVIDIA has compiled a 100 percent success rate at the USPTO in challenges to the claims in the patents asserted against it by Rambus in an International Trade Commission (ITC) action filed in November 2008.

“We are pleased that the USPTO decided to review the patentability of these two additional Rambus' patents and continued to agree with NVIDIA's challenge to these eight claims,” said David Shannon, NVIDIA executive vice president and general counsel. “The USPTO has now initially rejected all of the patent claims asserted by Rambus against NVIDIA in the ITC.”

Congrats to Nvidia, another big win against patent troll Rambus.

Hrmm, the way that was written was sort of sensational. AMD is recovering much better than NV or Intel in GPUs (no shocker as they have credible IGPs and discrete).

The marketshare hasn't shifted much though - AMD's still nosing towards 20% with NV a little under 30%.

Actually if you look YoY, the market share shift was really from NV to Intel. AMD's marketshare is up 0.3%, NV is down 2% and Intel is up 3-4%.

AMD's volume increased, as did Intel, NV actually declined.

DK

Charlie really bathes in it, doesn't he? Sad show.

edit:
It never, and i mean never, makes me feel good, when someone looses his job.

edit:
It never, and i mean never, makes me feel good, when someone looses his job.

Well, Charlie don't like NV that we all know, but if you look at the forums he's fairly magnanimous. Also the twatter screenshot on the right says

"Resigned from NVIDIA after 11 years..."

So, did he walk, was he pushed?

I'm gonna miss him. He is truly a fun guy to be around. I remember the day he had me fixing his laptop at an Nvidia event.

Every encounter I had with him he was just always hyper and enthusiastic.

So will I actually. Most of my time was spent with European PR, but I'd obviously bump into him at Editors Days and other such events and always rather enjoyed the conversations. Bumped into him again at this years GDC and had a chance to quickly catch up.

I wish him well in his new venture.

Yeah, seems like Charlie is viewing the world blinded via his personal emotions, really sad.

BTW, twitter says,

@dperez915 "Last day at NVIDIA...moving to Nashville...running marketing for nhl's nashville predators...cant wait!"

Going from tech industry PR to hockey league PR, that's a bit of a change. :)

But if that's something he's always wanted to do, more power to him. :) I hope he's aware that sports fans can be even more vicious and vicarious than graphics card hardware fans. :oops:

Regards,
SB

Q2 results are in - http://finance.yahoo.com/news/NVIDIA-Reports-Financial-prnews-3891149770.html?x=0&.v=1

On a GAAP basis, the company recorded a net loss of $105.3 million, or $0.19 per share, compared with a net loss of $120.9 million, or $0.22 per share a year ago. Reflected in these results is a net charge of $119.1 million related to the weak die/packaging set used in certain previous-generation chips that the company had initially identified and provided for in its prior fiscal year. On a non-GAAP basis excluding this item, and stock-based compensation as well as their associated tax impact net income was $37.7 million, or $0.07 per diluted share, compared with $74.5 million, or $0.13 per diluted share, a year earlier.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/154542-nvidia-f2q10-qtr-end-7-26-09-earnings-call-transcript?page=6

Jen-Hsun Huang

I think the general buzz around the industry is that we are by far the largest producers of 40-nanometer today and I think that that’s probably consistent. We have shipped more and earlier than just about anybody, and we haven’t spoken a lot about our 40-nanometer products because we have fabulous products that we are currently shipping and so we tend not to pre-announce products until the customers are really shipping themselves, and so we are ramping our 40-nanometer product now. By Q4, it will represent a very large portion of our revenue. It certainly won't represent the vast majority of it.

Early next year I think it will continue to grow and my expectation is by about the Q3 timeframe, it will represent the vast majority of our products -- Q3 time for next year.

Comments?

So now we're up at $315M for bumpgate.
NVIDIA's second quarter results were impacted by an additional net charge of approximately $119.1 million to cover costs related to a weak die/packaging material set that was used in certain versions of its previous-generation chips. Although the number of units impacted by this issue remains consistent with the company's initial estimates a year ago, the cost of remediation and repair of impacted systems has been higher than originally anticipated. In July 2008, a $196.0 million reserve was accrued for the purpose of supporting our affected customers around the world. The weak die/package material combination is not used in any products currently in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back