NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.

From one of Apple's Support Topics said:
In July 2008, NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, NVIDIA assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected.

I'll admit that's pretty blunt. Apple threw Nvidia under the bus.

hmm and Dell isn't using nV gpu's for thier future laptops :LOL:. Come on taking Charlie's word for it is like trusting a person that went to jail for lieing under oath :D

hmm and Dell isn't using nV gpu's for thier future laptops :LOL:. Come on taking Charlie's word for it is like trusting a person that went to jail for lieing under oath :D

Well that quote wasn't Charlie's word, it was Apple's. Do you think they sound very happy with Nvidia?

both Dell and HP had similiar press releases, although nV admitted before hand, but things like this happen, OEM's and system builders aren't going to just drop suppliers like Charlie is saying. If that was the case Dell would have dropped Intel and went to AMD after Intel's motherboard mishap in the early 2000's, which even till date Intel hasn't taken resposibility for. There is more to it then just bad parts that cause deals to fall apart, its the same shallow thinking that Charlie has in all of his articles.

What you are speculating on doesn't really make much sense to me since the 2D component architecture is going to be able to crank all the way up to 2048x1536 at 75Hz if the display supports it (maybe badly but netbooks definitely have a long long way to go before they have 8 to 11" displays of that resolution!

So in the above case the device doesnt really need extra gpu power nvidia is providing, then nvidia is going to have real difficulty preserving large margins on making that sale. Obviously from nvidia's point of view somehow they need to make the extra performance essential something that the device cannot just do without.

(Sorry if above is obvious, was just trying to make point clear)

Re >45%....i guess that was for the Zune business. If they can continue to keep it above 40% it will all work out good. Of concern though is that given Tegra has been on sale for a year now the possibility they are restricting sales only to higher margin clients. Similar to the strategy they seem to be using with Ion.

Earlier in 2009 i think guidance was roughly $100m for Tegra this year. If they achieve that or better at good margins then everything will be fine.

Obviously from nvidia's point of view somehow they need to make the extra performance essential something that the device cannot just do without.

Agreed and at the moment it is the ability to play HD material (big win for them) and a more tolerable gaming experience. In other words NVIDIA have positioned ION as being capable of playing 720p and 1080p material.

I don't have membership access to the details, but analyst JoAnne Feeney at FTN Midwest Securities apparently claims that her own channel checks suggest that OEMs (namely Dell, HP and Apple?) will be giving Nvidia less business going forward.

Too early to sound the alarms, but there might be more here than Charlie's imagination running wild.

Last edited by a moderator:
OUR CHECKS FOR NVIDIA indicate shipments of graphics chips have been slightly better than expected in the company's July quarter (fiscal second-quarter 2010) due to share gains.

Nvidia appears to be gaining share in desktop graphics. Despite AMD's (AMD) improved graphics roadmap, it appears Nvidia is currently gaining share in graphics, primarily due to price ...

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB124725011233824459.html

I guess the ancient and sacred student art of copy and paste is a lost talent as we grow older. :LOL:

What was this thread about again? NVIDIA seem to be doing very well, expanding away from games based GPU's for PC.

On a side note you should really check out Charlie's new forums. Good for a laugh or two :)

Heh thanks for the heads up (quick link), it looks like a lot of fun. From what I can see it's really got the Nvidia trolls coming out of the woodworks - with a bit of luck it'll keep Charlie plenty busy posting indignant retorts.

Lol really? Haven't been in a few days. Last couple times I visited it seemed like nearly everyone was just a Charlie clone. Dissenters weren't anywhere to be seen (unless he cleans up those posts or something).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back