NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, yeah it's funny how this story was "designed". Not only is Charlie the most insightful engineer on the planet but also the best informed financial analyst too. He knows Nvidia isn't worth anything but all those big investors and corporations aren't as smart as Charlie. Oh no, they'll happily buy the turd. But wait, when the deal falls thru it'll be because they finally realized what Charlie knew all this time. Nvidia is dead and not worth buying. I must admit, the guy is brilliant.

I certainly wish him all the best & hope he is around to entertain & inform me for many years to come. I'll be satisfied with "semi-accurate" as long as it is entertaining. :)

Ooh Charlie I have some more article ideas..

'Nvidia to move corporate seat to North Korea'
'Satanist cult living in Jen-Sun Huang's basement?'
'Nvidia switches to ground up puppies for new GPU underfill'

I promise, they're all quite SemiAccurate

Charlie's an entertaining read even if he's been only semi accurate in the past. His pouring of a good heap of scorn and scarsam (on nv particularly, does he have personal issues with nv???) makes me chuckle every now and then.

Forgive my ignorance but how can you put yourself up for sale when you dont technically own yourself....nvidia became a listed public company 10 years ago i think. Shouldn't they be the property of the various shareholders now?
Usually companies don't sell all the stock when they go public so Nvidia is likely still a large shareholder in itself. This info should be publicly available if someone is interested in the percentage of public ownership. That said usually sales must be approved by shareholders.

I think the name SemiAccurate is just fantastic, it just fits perfectly! :D
Agreed.

Companies can put themselves up for sale easily. Usually what happens is you retain an investment banking to shop the company around...

Also, that story was Sylvie's not Charlie's.

DK

Companies can put themselves up for sale easily. Usually what happens is you retain an investment banking to shop the company around...

Also, that story was Sylvie's not Charlie's.

DK
So has Sylvie left TheInquirer as well? The story was published on semiaccurate.com

Usually companies don't sell all the stock when they go public so Nvidia is likely still a large shareholder in itself. This info should be publicly available if someone is interested in the percentage of public ownership. That said usually sales must be approved by shareholders.

There's no such thing as percentage of public ownership - a public company doesn't own itself in any way. The only measure of ownership is issued shares. Some issued shares could be held by the company as treasury stock after a buyback but that's usually a relatively small portion of total issues (as is the case for Nvidia) and they don't bestow any voting or shareholder rights to the company. The company can try to buy back and hold a majority interest in issued shares to defend against a hostile takeover but that strategy can't be used to force a sale.

No sale can happen without shareholders' blessing.

Pardon the off-topic post, but what did nv do to him? ;)

I'm not sure about the details but some of the guys around here would know. My understanding is that he was left off the invite list for a few events a few years ago because he didn't respect NDA's. In retaliation he's devoted his entire life to disparaging Nvidia by highlighting any and all of their missteps and making others up when he runs out of material. IMO he should've just gotten himself a girlfriend or found a hobby instead. But that's just me....

I'm not sure about the details but some of the guys around here would know. My understanding is that he was left off the invite list for a few events a few years ago because he didn't respect NDA's. In retaliation he's devoted his entire life to disparaging Nvidia by highlighting any and all of their missteps and making others up when he runs out of material. IMO he should've just gotten himself a girlfriend or found a hobby instead. But that's just me....

Not quite, see my other post.

DK

Pardon the off-topic post, but what did nv do to him? ;)

NV's PR can be very difficult to work with by all accounts (opinions of others, not myself). They demand to control their messaging and have very little tolerance for folks who don't toe the line.

The only real power that PR folks have is access to HW and people and the occasional junket.

Charlie calls things as he sees/perceives them and doesn't care about toeing the line to make a company look good. He's also not what I'd call your average reporter (not bad or good, but very different).

You can see how that might cause a collision course.

My understanding is that NV's PR made a decision to freeze charlie out and try to prevent him from effectively writing about NV (unless he started to behave 'better' from their perspective). You can see that in a lot of what he's written - he never gets info from NV PR directly and he's almost throwing it in their face that he's still able to talk about their GPUs without them. It's hardly a secret.

Anyway, I'm sure Charlie has quite a bit of respect for some of the folks at NV, but he sure as hell doesn't like some of their PR folks.

With the stuff about bumps, I think Charlie just got curious and wanted to dig and find out what was going on. When NV started obfuscating, that just encouraged him to dig further and find out the truth.

DK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back