NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Err Nvidia is just waiting for the next interface from Intel for their next chipsets. Its gonna feature alot of the things we see on the 780A. ((Like Hybrid Power)) with better Dual link DVI for higher resolutions.

Two interesting points from that thread:
  1. The retirement of CFO Marvin Burkett (via L'Inq) - EDIT: erm, no old, irrelevant news
  2. That most consumer Nehalem systems will use DMI, something that NVidia should be able to get a licence for - so QPI licensing is not much of an issue (post 18).
Jawed

The last couple years it seems like the more interesting the Digitimes story, the more likely it is to be rubbish. I used to have a fairly high opinion of them.

I find it extremely difficult to believe it's as great as Charlie suggests. That "article" states he thinks the entire line besides G80 is bad. The implications of that are massive and Nvidia not telling/acknowledging it could be just as damaging as going on record about the problem.

This is provably absurd. It's a packaging problem. If current ones were defective, they'd change their packaging technology instantly. I can certainly give him the benefit of the doubt for anything related to the past, but this is ridiculous...

This is provably absurd. It's a packaging problem. If current ones were defective, they'd change their packaging technology instantly. I can certainly give him the benefit of the doubt for anything related to the past, but this is ridiculous...

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/12/nvidia-g92s-g94-reportedly

Now its all G92s and G94s, desktop type. Which is quite amazing as I have had 3 9600GTs for over 6 months now and I've had issues numbering 0. Ofcourse if I were to email him this, he would propably email back tat either a) give it time or b) there are bound to be a few good apples in the bunch.

Ummmm given how friggin popular G92 and G94 were, I think we would have all heard a lot about a high failure rate long before now. Kudos to Nvidia if they were able to keep that under wraps given the hundreds of thousands of the buggers they've sold. Not to mention the propensity of people who buy those cards to overclock them to high heaven.

I wonder how long before L'Inq gets sued by Nv for disfamation?

Defamation. (sp)

Anyway today is NVidia's quarter numbers, in about two hours... so, the moment we've all been waiting for in terms of the context of this thread. We'll see what happens and what is said.

I wonder how long before L'Inq gets sued by Nv for disfamation?

You've got to wonder why Nvidia hasn't just come straight out and denied it all in order to blow Charlie and TheInq right out of the water. These sorts of rumours can be damaging if they are not true. Heck, even AMD have issued a statement saying they are not having any of these kinds of problems with their graphics cards. :LOL:

But that 200 million charge and the ominious hints that "there could be more" seems to be preparing the analysts and shareholders for more bad news coming down the pipe.

The question I have been asking myself is that if things were as bad as Charlie claims, how would Nvidia deal with it? Wouldn't it be with the same spin and deflection that they use with everything else? If what Charlie says is true, I would expect Nvidia to deal with it in pretty much this manner. If not, I'd expect them to simply call Charlie a liar (in not quite so many words) and deny it all.

It's not in the interest of these companies to make direct statements related to rumors originating from the Inquirer or anywhere else unless they gain general traction outside of that sphere, reason being that if you start denying every major rumor that comes out, then those times when you don't comment you can be seen as giving silent confirmation.

It's better for NVidia just to shut up and run their PR lines, wherever the truth may lie along the continuum. It's just too slippery a slope for companies to start confirming/denying anytime it suits their purposes, because it leaves them to a speculation frenzy when it's not to their advantage.

true, nV already stated there is a problem, although they didn't give a specific "source" of who's problem it is. And they pretty much stated its localized to certain notebooks. At this point to lie about things, seems moot, not only would they have lied to shareholders, they would have lied to SEC and of course consumers. I don't know but if I was part of the SEC I would be pretty pissed, it shows disregard for shareholders and also bad business practices, so its not even in nV's better interest to make a public statement that would be a lie of the magnitude Charlie is suggesting and spinning around in his head.

Last edited by a moderator:
well the chips could all have the same problem, but cooling isn't a problem for desktops.

It was said right from the beginning that this is a particular problem for laptops because of the very heavy thermal cycling of the packed environment, laptops being switched on and off all the time, power saving features cutting in and out all the time, etc.

Charlie claimed the same problem exists on the desktops, but the less extreme environment and thermal cycling in a desktop means a problem chip will last longer before failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back