NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least MS, after some toes to fire, extended their warranty to 3 years for similar issues.

More rumours from Charlie, and some finger-in-the-air calculations.

Using the high number of eight per cent and the low number of $150 million, we can figure out that the the total cost of a recall, again with NV paying only half, is around (100/8)*$150 million = $1.875 billion. Nvidia only has about $1.6 billion in the bank, so this could put a crimp on the decoration at the company non-denominational winter festivities party that does not endorse or disclaim any particular faith, religion, or point of view.

Has their ever been a "recall" in pc tech for anything that's not a safety issue to the user (like Sony's exploding batteries)?

Has their ever been a "recall" in pc tech for anything that's not a safety issue to the user (like Sony's exploding batteries)?

Did they recall the DeathStar err DeskStar hard drives a few years back? I don't remember, and I'm to lazy to look it up.

I'm not nit-picking: Is there really much of a difference between recalling laptops and XB360s? They're both a kind of consumer unit which is essentially a "sealed box" - unlike the "user-upgradable" PC.

Jawed

I'm not nit-picking: Is there really much of a difference between recalling laptops and XB360s? They're both a kind of consumer unit which is essentially a "sealed box" - unlike the "user-upgradable" PC.

Jawed

Xbox 360s weren't recalled though, they simply had their warranty extended.

Did they recall the DeathStar err DeskStar hard drives a few years back? I don't remember, and I'm to lazy to look it up.

No, they didn't. They paid damages on a class action suit to people who made claims under the suit, but they didn't recall.

Xbox 360s weren't recalled though, they simply had their warranty extended.

Right. Which is what HP just did for people who didn't buy an extended warranty originally. It's a limited warranty regarding the gpu failing only, but it's the same concept --extended warranty, not recall.

Maybe someone will think of one (Pentium errata, maybe?), but I think they are exceedingly rare if they aren't going to cause a fire or somesuch.

Edit: Yes, Pentium floating point bug was a "Recall" with no safety issues involved. Tho it was also nearly at the very beginning of the parts consumer life-cycle too, which made that easier to do financially.

It wasn't a write-off, but a charge/set-aside associated with warranty extension.

The history can be refreshed on here: http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/331

Anyway... so the way HP is handling this would be in line with how Microsoft handled it. The difference is that in Microsoft's situation it was basically hordes at the gate over a well known defect, and here it's a semi-shadowy affair with various levels of non-admittance/explanation by the various parties involved.

Anyway... so the way HP is handling this would be in line with how Microsoft handled it. The difference is that in Microsoft's situation it was basically hordes at the gate over a well known defect, and here it's a semi-shadowy affair with various levels of non-admittance/explanation by the various parties involved.

So is that down to differences in the target audience or the more tenuous relationships of a variety of companies being involved rather than just one?

So is that down to differences in the target audience or the more tenuous relationships of a variety of companies being involved rather than just one?

Probably the later... but really I think the biggest difference is that the majority of the owners of these systems are completely unaware of the issues to begin with, and HP et al have to walk the fine line of addressing it for those afflicted while at the same time obviously not wanting to raise a flag on it such that folk that are completely oblivious and happy with their purchase (and the brand) become agitated and upset.

Throw in the fact that they have to coordinate their efforts and PR moves with another major player, and the whole thing definitely comes off as awkward.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/31/nvidia-790i-board-pulled-makers

THE NVIDIA IMPLOSION continues, and this time it is not a crusty old product but their top-of-the-line 790i chipset products that are vanishing from manufacturers lineups. They went *poof* from DFI, Foxconn and Gigabyte.

In case you have been living under a rock lately, Nvidia GPUs and chipsets have been crapping out at an amazingly high rate of speed. You can read about it here and here and here and here and here if you are really bored. The executive summary is that Nvidia has a massive batch of bad chips and the first ones to go bad are in laptops, but the problem is by no means confined to those machines.

Now comes word that their high-end desktop mobo, famous for rumored data corruption problems, is being silently killed. The three companies mentioned above have pulled the boards from their product pages without so much as a footnote.

While it's plausible there were problems with 790i... It seems more than a little bit biased not to have even mentioned that it'd be EOL anyway because MCP7A-U is coming soon.

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20080801VL203.html

As the story is told, Nvidia called a meeting earlier this week with its motherboard partners to gauge support for it continuing to develop chipsets in the future.
The motherboard makers' response? Silence.
It is still early days and not all the facts are known at the time of writing, but it is believed Nvidia will transfer the chipset team to working on GPU projects. On the motherboard makers' side, some makers have already canceled upcoming high-end motherboard projects based on the nForce 7-series chipset.
Jawed

Intel wouldn't be making any chipsets if it didn't help sell processors and keep old fabs running.

AMD would still have the excuse that its chipsets help sell processors and possibly video cards.

Nvidia just has the video card excuse, and apparently it looks like chipsets don't really sell video cards or procure QPI licensing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back