http://i30.tinypic.com/2rep6wg.jpg

FIFA 09 screens:

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/images/community/fifa09/fifa0901.jpg
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/images/community/fifa09/fifa0902.jpg

PES 2009 screens:

http://www.winningelevenblog.com/wp-content/uploads/pic5pr.jpg
http://www.winningelevenblog.com/wp-content/uploads/pic2pr.jpg
http://www.winningelevenblog.com/wp-content/uploads/pic3pr.jpg

It seems FIFA will top PES for at least another year. They are ahead in virtually every department, from graphics, licence, sound, AI, gameplay, physics, UI, and so on. Why can't PES be as good as it used to be?

What is going wrong with PES team?

Mod Note: This is a discussion board, not a photo gallery. Please don't use img tags for large file sizes.

Are these all real screenshots?

And, no offense, but how do you know how the gameplay of two unreleased games compares?

Any gameplay screens ? The problem with FIFA is that the PC version is PS2 port, will it be the same for 09 too ?

The problem is that the best PES developers signed with EA sports ( two years ago ? ), so FIFA is improving so much and PES not.

Is FIFA really much better in gameplay than PES?

I wouldn't say better gameplay, but Fifa 08 took a huge step towards PES gameplay, playing very much like PES now, only realy problems being certain scripted AI runs which aren't allways clever. PES on the other hand had a terrible framerate (which hurts gameplay alot imo) and it looked terrible aswell.

Some people who've been playing PES/Winning Eleven for years think Online Team Play introduced in FIFA 08 is the best innovation in years.

PES on next gen consoles, atleast on the PS3 is a joke, Pes on next It has crappy framerate, it looks like a ps2 game, and fifa games have been stealing everything worth stealing from PES gameplay for the last 2 years.

I dont get how so many people still defend PES so much, i havent really seen any good argument for why PES is better, and most arguments against fifa are based on gameplay issues no longer there in Fifa 08.

I think it's just a fanboy trend. In the middling years, those saying PES kicks FIFA in the nether-regions never actually qualified their statements, and playing the two, both had pros and cons. I think it's just brand loyalty now - PES was the number one for so long, and EA were so rubbish, and it's always fashionable to deride EA - they just take it as read PES is better.

It's their loss...

I think it's just a fanboy trend. In the middling years, those saying PES kicks FIFA in the nether-regions never actually qualified their statements, and playing the two, both had pros and cons. I think it's just brand loyalty now - PES was the number one for so long, and EA were so rubbish, and it's always fashionable to deride EA - they just take it as read PES is better.

It's their loss...

I always found that the control in PES felt a lot more smooth, where the FIFA games felt a little less responsive and clunky. PES also had much better control for set-pieces, in terms of simplicity and response for basic control, yet it allowed for very deep or complex control as well.

I haven't played a PES game in a couple years though other than the Wii one, which I thought was very good, but it is a very different style of game.

FIFA08 on the PS3 definitely feels much improved over previous FIFA games, so I can see the tables being turned somewhat.

FIFA has improved, but its still not as good as PES, despite being an obvious copy, nothing to do with fanboy this or that, its just the way it is. The players are still clumbsy and unresponsive, the ball still doesn't move right and player animations still aren't right either. You only have to pass the ball in both games to see it, its night and day to me. But I suppose being a big Football fan maybe I notice these little things more easily. FIFA does have its advantages, but only in content (licenses, graphics, music ect), that's not what's important IMO.

To be honest, and this isn't meant as an insult just as my experience, the only people I know personally who prefer FIFA aren't Football fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is pretty insulting though. ;) Are you telling me that real-life football sees whoever has the ball instantly hounded by opposition every single time, with not a single moments hesitation?

Both titles are imperfect. Neither is truly realistic, in that what you see on screen is comparable to what you see when watching a real match. When it comes to ball mechanics and player movements, I don't see there's much difference (not talking about the latest games as I haven't played them) other than the tempo. PES is just plain too fast. It may be a more fun game as a result, but it can hardly be held up as a shining example of 'Sport Captured Accurately in a Console Game'

You shouldn't be insulted, I wasn't saying everyone who prefers FIFA isn't a Football fan, only everyone I know, and I don't know everyone. Not sure what your referring to in the first paragraph about players being hounded, which part of my post are you referring to there?

Both titles are imperfect. Neither is truly realistic, in that what you see on screen is comparable to what you see when watching a real match. When it comes to ball mechanics and player movements, I don't see there's much difference (not talking about the latest games as I haven't played them) other than the tempo. PES is just plain too fast. It may be a more fun game as a result, but it can hardly be held up as a shining example of 'Sport Captured Accurately in a Console Game'

Both games are imperfect and not truley realistic, that goes without saying. We are afterall comparing computer games here. It just comes down to one game being closer to realism then the other. Not through more realistic graphics, but through natural believable animation and more intelligent AI. I agree PES 2008 is faster then I'd like it, its something I get used to but I'd preffer it to be toned down slightly. Other then that its the closest thing to real Football outside of real Football IMO. Which I can't wait to start again BTW, two months without Premiership Football is already driving me up the wall :LOL:

Teasy have you played Fifa 08?

Not through more realistic graphics, but through natural believable animation and more intelligent AI.

Please, Fifa08 animation smothers PES. Have you even played Fifa08? I actually dont believe you can say fifa 08 animation is worse than PES, aspecially not when PES struggles to hold 20+ fps (on ps3), often dips down to 15 fps, while fifa runs at 60fps (360) and 25-30 fps (but usually 30fps) (ps3)

And more intelligent AI? Im not so sure, Fifa 08 on legendary is quite good, i havent really seen them do any more stupid thigns than PES AI. Both have flaws, earlier generation fifa games had quite a few easy exploitable flaws,because everything was scripted, all changed when they gave the ball its own physics.

Nowadays i say both AI's are far from perfect, the evolution in general in soccer games has been terrible. Graphics, AI and gameplay could have been so much more if it wheren't for how the current market is set up. There is only 2 soccer games out there right now, and PES is terribly underfounded while EA... Well, they probably spend 20x on marketing than on development.

Just reading an article regarding EA's upcoming FIFA09.

Gameplayer was lucky enough to score some post-E3 time at EA's Vancouver studio playing FIFA 09. In this article they detail why FIFA has made the necessary improvements to out perform PES for the first time in years.

"The brilliant new animation technology extends beyond looking sweet and making the Ronaldos and Rooneys of the world carve it up on-screen like they do on the field. The whole game world feels more alive. Collision detection has been pumped up impressively and is now dynamic, so rather than getting canned 'stacking it' animations when two players collide they will dive heroically in every way imaginable depending on both the players body positions and momentum at the time and the point of collision

personally I have always been a FIFA man but its good that hear that its starting be on par with PES

full article - http://www.n4g.com/events_e32008/News-175176.aspx

Teasy have you played Fifa 08?

Please, Fifa08 animation smothers PES. Have you even played Fifa08? I actually dont believe you can say fifa 08 animation is worse than PES, aspecially not when PES struggles to hold 20+ fps (on ps3), often dips down to 15 fps, while fifa runs at 60fps (360) and 25-30 fps (but usually 30fps) (ps3)

And more intelligent AI? Im not so sure, Fifa 08 on legendary is quite good, i havent really seen them do any more stupid thigns than PES AI. Both have flaws, earlier generation fifa games had quite a few easy exploitable flaws,because everything was scripted, all changed when they gave the ball its own physics.

Nowadays i say both AI's are far from perfect, the evolution in general in soccer games has been terrible. Graphics, AI and gameplay could have been so much more if it wheren't for how the current market is set up. There is only 2 soccer games out there right now, and PES is terribly underfounded while EA... Well, they probably spend 20x on marketing than on development.

I´ve already played like 50 hours of PES08 on PS3, and 10 hours of FIFA08 (also PS3).

FIFA did a HUGE progress, but we can no way compare it to PES regarding AI, physics and gameplay.

PES is much more realistic, FIFA is not as bad as FIFA Street, but it´s still not good. Again, it has improved a LOT, but FIFA08 for PS3 is still worst than PES 4 for PS2, except the grfx, obviously.

Most professional soccer players are addicted to PES, and they really don´t care for FIFA.

PES 08 flaws are:
-Low frame rate. Only that. It should be 60fps (damn it, REPLAYS are worst than game play... wtf????? I´m sure they´re using just 1 or 2 SPE.
PS3 can do PES with better gfx and 120fps.

-Bad online. LAG. 2 guys with 4Mbps cannot play as they should. 4 Mbps should be enough to have 10 agains 10 with no lag at all let alone 1x1.

Let´s see what they will bring in november with PES09.

FIFA08 kills PES08 on both online and frame rate. But as an off line game, FIFA is still not good as the first PES for PS2.

I have been playing PES(WE) and FIFA for more than 10 years now, and I´m a huge Soccer fan.

I have like a dozen of friends who are in the same league, we have already participated in local championships, and I have never met someone that prefers FIFA to PES to play offline.

But I´m really looking forward for FIFA09. One day they will be able to copy PES gameplay.

-Bad online. LAG. 2 guys with 4Mbps cannot play as they should. 4 Mbps should be enough to have 10 agains 10 with no lag at all let alone 1x1.
Lag is a matter of distance from servers, not bandwidth speed. Bandwidth is more like how large a lorry is and how much it can carry, whereas lag is an issue of how far the lorry has to drive.

Back