Rock Band & Guitar Hero Games

Oh I know, I'm referring to this part:

game will feature full support for all of the original Rock Band songs
That it mentions DLC after this makes it seem like they're talking about supporting the 58 songs on the RB1 disc from this statement. i.e. RB2 disc in the console, but accessing copies of the RB1 disc songs.

Ive read that article 3 times, I don't see that quote anywhere? Maybe the changed the article? This is all I see:

In that sense it's mission accomplished, because the game will feature full support for all of the downloadable content, and, naturally, the more than 80 songs that will be packed in with the disc version of Rock Band 2.

If it is the case, the only way I can see that working is if they over the 58 songs as a free DLC content pack. Or if they offer them all for free in the store.

This could work. I did read Harmonix wanted RB to be a platform and not just a continued upgrade path. Which would make sense. Why not offer them for free? If anyone at that point hasn't bought RB1, they will get RB2. If someone already has RB1, why not make it easy for them to be able to access all the songs without putting RB1 disc back in. Harmonix would be better off giving those RB1 tracks away, and in return most likely people will continue to buy the weekly DLC content after purchase.

Either way, I still haven't seen that confirmed yet.

Hm... perhaps they stealth-edited it? :???: You're right, it doesn't say that in the link now.

As for offering the original songs for free, the biggest stumbling block would be how they negotiated with the music IP owners on distribution. It may look good on Harmonix/EA/MTV, but ultimately it's still giving things away for free from the POV of the original music IP owners. They gain nothing.

However, free to the end-user might still be accomplished by having a slight cut in revenue from RB2 sales, which I still would find unlikely, unless the cut were based upon the number of people downloading those RB1 tracks. But it's a bit of a stretch.

Perhaps a reduced fee (compared to other DLC) would be more feasible...

man , i will just buy the disc and hope gh4 and gh3 stuff still works. I went through 8 rock band guitars before i gave up . Oh and just in case u think i treat them bad , they were all out of the box broken

I see something more along the lines of Singstar disk swapping. With Singstar you can get the latest version then pop in old disk and play the old songs with the newer features. Most likely what they mean since RB2 is said to have new features.

Developer Q&A. Not many details, explains the timed exclusivity to 360...

Q: "If your Rock Band 2 instruments are better, if I wanted to switch disc over to play Run to the Hills or something can I use the new instruments?" - quinaking

A: Yes, all Rock Band instruments work on all Rock Band games for that platform, as well as any other music games that adhere to the controller standards.

----------------

Q: "Well, I'm going to go on record that this "limited time XBOX360 exclusivity" is total bull crap. Who does this benifit?" - killerew..

A: This benefits both gamers and Harmonix. Microsoft have been awesome in supporting us and have actually helped out on some of these things by visiting us and working hand-in-hand on new platform features. They've been a great partner on everything from development to marketing, and some of the features in the game would not have been possible without them.

As well as this, the other platforms are coming out really soon after the Xbox 360 launch. Trust me, if you're an other platform owner, you'll be surprised at how little you have to wait.

http://www.rockband.com/rockers_blog_entry/hmxspraynwipe/374112?redir=1

For all of Europe's RB woes, at least they may still be better off than the Australians:
IGN: Rock Band Dead Down Under?
What do they expect? Rock Band was priced more expensive than a Wii down here (or a 360 Arcade + a bunch of games) at over $400, while our exchange rate is right up to $USD0.90. That's disgusting.

For the record, I've been talking about RB since the day it was announced, but there's no way you can try and fuck an audience and expect to walk out of it in the good books.

I'm really looking forward to the Drum Rocker. Though with delivery and the extra symbol it is going to set me back $400 US. Looks like a great set though.

RB1 Songs to RB2

Here is how you will be able to get the RB1 songs playable for RB2.

1) On the day Rock Band 2 is released, Rock Band 1 will receive a title update. That update will add an "export" command in the RB1 menu.

2) Hit "export" and you'll need to enter a password, which you get with your copy of RB2. Enter the password and you have to pay. Harmonix promise it won't be more than $5.

3) Pay the $5 (or less), and your RB1 songs (well...the ones on the disc...and the ones they're allowed to port over, as Harmonix can't guarantee that all songs will be available) will be transferred to your HDD.

Easy enough.

The patch to transport RB1 songs to HDD has been out for a few days now. Works great. All songs except, Enter Sandman, Run to the Hills and Paranoid (black sabbath), will be placed on your hard drive. Just 1 more week for RB2!!!!

And this tidbit, which I think has just sold this game to me:

PS3 ROCK BAND DISC EXPORT TITLE UPDATE
First and foremost, we’re happy to announce that PS3 users will soon be able to export RB1 songs to their system in advance of the launch of RB2! A PS3 patch will be coming out this Thursday, September 11th, which will allow RB1 song export, in addition to updating DLC to our RB2 standards (so you can continue to rock the newer content in RB1 if you so choose!) This title update will also patch for the use of the Guitar Hero III Les Paul PS3 Controller with RB1 on the PS3. We're excited to release this, as controller compatibility is something we've been working towards for a long time.

The patch to transport RB1 songs to HDD has been out for a few days now. Works great. All songs except, Enter Sandman, Run to the Hills and Paranoid (black sabbath), will be placed on your hard drive. Just 1 more week for RB2!!!!

How much disk space did you loose after conversion (360)?

Great news in yesterday's PS3 Update/Patch. The GH3 Les Paul is now compatible with RB1.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77842

This title update will also patch for the use of the Guitar Hero III Les Paul PS3 Controller with RB1 on the PS3. We're excited to release this, as controller compatibility is something we've been working towards for a long time.

Going to be a big couple of weeks for Harmonix and RB fans. Add in the fact the the instruments will be available to purchase individually next week for the 360.

Back