R700 Inter-GPU Connection Discussion

It's very simple. The middle chip is FBI (frame-buffer interface) and the outer chips are TMUs. There's also a SLI connector and two display connectors (one for 2D input and the second one for monitor). Just a simple copy of 3Dfx Voodoo 2. Evident lack of invention. Shame on ATi! The end is near... :oops:

medium_ati9o3.jpg

The Gen2 PLX bridges were announced last year and are in production now. If the bridge in question is something else, we would have to wait quite a bit.

Its most definitely a 27mmx27mm (used my screen calipers :LOL:); so its either 8648 or 8647 (not listed). Note that 8647 has only 3 ports, which is why I asked if these ports hold any significance for the new CrossFire sideport.

And this:

(image omitted for quotation)

More:
http://i29.tinypic.com/2mnestj.png
http://i31.tinypic.com/2qwd9c5.png
http://i30.tinypic.com/2v1suwy.png

In the first slide linked, I see mention of "shared memory". Is this referencing internal memory (caches/register files/fifo buffers/local stores/etc.) or would I be foolish to get my hopes up that this implies R700 may indeed have a shared memory pool?

Presumably at some point AMD will make them itself since it's sort of what a northbridge does (only it does other things too).

Jawed

Not necessarily. No need to spend money on R&D and production when you have a supplier that has already done so, and quite well and for some period of time, at that.

just one detail:

RV670 is 256bit and 190mm2
RV770 is 256bit, but 260mm2

Dave (or Eric?) said, that they were pad-limited at 8 SIMDs. So there is about 60mm2 of die for pads, which wasn't required on R670. Any idea, what good is it? I don't think GDDR5 are so "pads-hungry", so majority of them is likely used for X2 inter-die communication. How much pads fits in 60mm2? And how wide could that bus be?

I haven't a clue why PCI Express is being discussed. The CrossFireX sideport, I reckon, is that blue section over on the right edge.

Jawed

I don't know, I just had this strange idea after seeing that picture.
Why have two pci-e ports to begin with?

I haven't a clue why PCI Express is being discussed. The CrossFireX sideport, I reckon, is that blue section over on the right edge.

Jawed
Nope. ;)

Probably, you all are familiar of how a row of planar serial transceivers should look like, and namely a full single 16-lane PCIe one. Here are few examples (clamped in red box):

r520zd2.jpg

R520

gt200at8.jpg

G200

g80akh3.jpg

G80

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's perfectly transparent to the user (and the games being played) then congrats, multi-GPU is finally viable. If people are messing around renaming .exe files or waiting for profiles for games to work right and all the BS, then no thanks.

Well my eye sight is bad, but it almost looks like 2 x 32 lane pci-e ports.

Probably wrong though.

Well, sort of.
HyperTransport interfacing is very similar on view.

Feeding my thoughts on that, how much have to drop the PCIe latency (x16 link), to facilitate a viable cache coherency updates (remote resource access)? I'm just thinking of how ATi could strip down and implement a custom framing low-latency protocol for that side-port link...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, this is going to be the key. Does it still require profiles? If so, how are those profiles created and distributed?

Perhaps with an interconnect they can treat two GPUs as one from a driver perspective.

Back