Diablo III - It's official

To be fair kadala apparently hated me first. One day Ima get that Cindercoat and laugh in her face for 12 minutes straight.

What gets me about Kadala is that she says the same things regardless of whether what you got was good or not. I got a Legendary off her the other day, an upgrade even (still gearing up after hitting 70), and she still said "Aww, too bad."

Been able to increase the survivability and damage output of my Barbarian and T3 feels like T1 used to. Switched out my old helm for the Skul of Resonance and now using Threatening Shout instead of Revenge. This provides me a decent increase in survivability by reducing monsters damage output, the Grim Harvest rune also providing more health globes, as well as increasing damage output from me exploding all the time from health globes.

Large packs of monsters I can leap into, hit Threatening Shout, many globes spawn then Whirlwind through them all picking up the globes at a distance and voila, many many BOOMS.

Having fun with a Crusader now as well. Have a full Invoker set and focusing on Thorns damage. She now outputs crazy thorns damage to all within 15 yards, shit dies just standing there.

On that SKULL OF RESONANCE, where it says
+21–30 Resistance to All Elements
+11–20 Resistance to All Elements

Does that mean 21-30% resistance?

If there's two lines of stats with the same effect, surely it would mean 32-50 resist all? :p Anyway, why not equip/unequip the item and check your paper doll. That should give you a reasonably definitive answer, although knowing blizzard and including experience of past diablo games, the paper doll lies 100% of the time... ;)

When the item generates, it picks either one of those 2 entries., with smartloot at higher levels it will always be the higher version.

I started a Demon Hunter and am now in the mid 20s with him. Major change of pace from the Witch Doctor, though not in a bad way. This game has so much to offer.

holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit

I found 2 RoRGs in two caches

Very very rare Ring of Royal Grandeur which is basically required for high torment levels and being able to utilize high class set specials as it reduces the required number of set items by 1 (minimum 2). It can mean utilizing very powerful specials on 2 different set armors.

I've been wanting one for a long time.

I've done upwards of a hundred T1 bounties (the only way to get a RoRG) with nothing to show. Found a tip online saying to get the caches but wait until you have at least 6 of them stored up and open them all at once. I figured what the hell and the first time I did that I got two of them out of 6 caches :D

Thanks for the explanation.

And, why would having 6 caches matter? Sounds like bogus confirmation bias to me... Statistically, the sample size is probably way too small to draw any such conclusions, and some guy somewhere had 6 caches stored up when it dropped and inferred a non-existing pattern. *shrug* Or maybe there is one, but I don't understand why there would be, because it doesn't make sense.

Yeah I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest it matters but the theory is that the game knows you haven't had any legendaries from caches for awhile despite having received lots of them (it's just that you haven't opened them), so it increases the chances for them.

The theory is that there is some sort of "pity" counter that knows when the last time you had a legendary drop and increases the drop chance accordingly. Since the caches shower you with loot it triggers the pity counter automatically if you open a bunch at once. Mostly impossible to confirm and I thought it was bogus as well, but I tried and found 2 rings in 6 caches. YMMV, however I have seen many Youtube videos showing the same thing. I actually saw one guy open 50 caches at once... insanity.

It is interesting to note that both rings came in the last 2 caches I opened and appeared simultaneously. Also note that once before I opened 4 caches at once and got a legendary drop, just not the ring. Opening them one at a time I got a legendary once in about every 15 caches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I heard about the pity counter thingy, but I don't think there's any relevance to having SIX caches per se.

Yes, I heard about the pity counter thingy, but I don't think there's any relevance to having SIX caches per se.

Exactly. A "pity counter" one would assume would be a boolean flag, rather than a timer.

Right, not a timer but a counter that counts how many items you've picked up since you got a legendary. I'm not saying it's for real, but that's the theory.

Nick has 5 caches stored up so tonight he'll get to 6 and pop them open. Interested to see what happens. :)

BTW I can do T4 now with the ring, but my toughness is too low to keep me from dying when I run into a pack of frozen orbiter arcane extra health reflective molten desecration fast analrapist elites.

I didn't think the pity counter was a theory...

I could have sworn I saw a blue post when I briefly started playing again that said not only that it existed but explained how it worked. I don't recall the exact details but it was along the lines of a counter runs for each item dropped from killing monsters that isn't a legendary and after a threshold is reached the magic find chance starts increasing until one appears.

No idea how that relates to opening caches but I believe the "pity counter" itself is a real thing...

edit: not the exact link I was looking for but close enough. It's pretty unlikely you'd be running long enough on higher torments with no legendary drop for the timer to kick in though by the sounds of it.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12187369045

Back