Diablo III - It's official

So in the end, I guess the answer is no. WoW does not have weekly, hours-long "scheduled maintenace" periods.
Right?

Yes and no.
It used to have hours-long scheduled weekly maintenances for several years
Now it has depending on week (seems to be semi-random really, IMO) either a hours-long scheduled weekly maintenance, or 10-15mins scheduled weekly restart

How's D3 going in the states ?

This game seems pretty much dead in Korea. The largest Korean D3 communities are dead (very few posts a day there these days). Everyone I know has quit playing.
However, Asian D3 servers are still quite busy it seems. Mostly Chinese farmers/bots still playing, I guess.
Newly released Blade & Soul (NCsoft) is pretty hot here now. But I have't tried it yet.

Most of the (few) people I know here only play now once in a while, to see how the game is evolving.
I'm actually leveling all classes to nightmare and then I am to quit the game.
I've no interest in the auction house, I don't even consider spending my time in this sub part activity.
There are way better micro managements games out there... even on phones.

Clearly Blizzard has killed the IP or close. Sucky chat make it unconvinient to keep in touch with friends. No convinient system to trade between friends, etc.
So much for the multi player game... as I see it it's a single player game with a mmo infrastructure, at least in a negative way.

Too bad the game is not badly designed but Blizzard out of greed decide to kill everything that looked good (from what I read about it) in the beta.

Blizzard has made quiet some money, I don't expect any significant change at this point. I won't complain I may have play +100 hours for 60 bucks not too bad. Some people way more.
Point is I see no interest in re-rolling a character, actually I'm not even interested in getting my character at lvl60.
Basically with only 5 classes, no attributes, no skills tree of any sort, the game doesn't have much to offer.

With all its bugs Sacred 2 is way better, I may buy titan quest IM (it's almost a sin not to have it I know...) and it is likely way better too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played TQ and it wasn't better than Diablo 2, and for all its flaws certainly not better than Diablo 3 either. TQ was a lot of almost-but-not-quite.

D3's biggest problem is the totally shitty item drop system, everything random, 1-to-max of any stat on ANYthing. No predictability whatsoever (other than gems, which are always exactly the same). TQ had many many big problems IMO, biggest one that the game wasn't very good... Difficulty was way out of wack, I got killed by the very first pack of mobs I ran into first time I played, not a very happy introduction to new players IMO.

Since D3 is so pooch-fucked, I have to state that TQ remains the pinnacle of aRPGs. And if you died to the first mobs you encountered. . .does your TV remote also kick your ass? :)

No it does not. Those hogs I ran into (or maybe it was goatmen, I really can't remember) simply hit unbelievably hard. I blame bad enemy tuning in a badly tuned game.

In a way it is comforting to know that even Blizzard can make mistakes.

I played TQ and it wasn't better than Diablo 2, and for all its flaws certainly not better than Diablo 3 either. TQ was a lot of almost-but-not-quite.

D3's biggest problem is the totally shitty item drop system, everything random, 1-to-max of any stat on ANYthing. No predictability whatsoever (other than gems, which are always exactly the same). TQ had many many big problems IMO, biggest one that the game wasn't very good... Difficulty was way out of wack, I got killed by the very first pack of mobs I ran into first time I played, not a very happy introduction to new players IMO.
Well I tried TQ IM really late on onlive. Many thinks may have been fixed since it launched.
I would say that the game is may be a bit tougher in normal difficulty. For example the minotaur was a pain in the @@@ for me and my build.
But the game is pretty rich, many classes and combinations. A side effect is you can messed up you build. I for one did by leveling mastery to fast... and that points can't be re-rolled.

With regard to Diablo3 I realize that my wizard build was sucking hard yesterday. I came with a completely different set of skills nd I've been able to resume my progression. Though my gears is getting really old (vs my actual lvl).
It kind of motivated me to push further.
For the other classes, normal is a bit too easy. With the gears I saved with my Wiz, the gems, they are in god mode for now, or real close.

Well I guess I'm too tough with the game. I'm slowly going through it, it has its frustrating moments but I still can go forward without using the auction house.

May be by the time I get my secondary characters to nightmare and my wiz to hell and further down the road many of the game lacking are gonna be fixed.
I may ended enjoying the game more than the horde then went through it in a few weeks.
Not using the auction house (for now) may not be a bad idea. It pushed me to level all the classes and I'm enjoying it.
As far as the community is concerned actually less players may not be that bad, as the AH is too busy now with plenty of problems.

Still there are lacking. I love the open world in Sacred2 after playing hundred of hours I still haven't discovered every places.
In other aRPG, less random one, you know what kind of enemies your gonna face in a given region, so you can adapt. Elite pack in D3 are imo insane. Yesterday I was peaced off because my wiz (before being reworked but it would not have changed much) face some champions that could not be beaten without ubber gear, "snakemen" with mortar and reflect damages, tough already... too bad they shoot mortar even when invisible... basically you runaway they disappear, when they reappear you run away... helpless/hopeless...

I will never have intensive to start the classes over again (especially as leveling I'm clearing my chest from items no longer useful).

Overall I believe that the game main issue is the horde of players that finished it in days, the hordes of farmers that twisted the AC economy, etc.
AC is even without real money make everything till Inferno too easy, and then in Inferno there are lot of complains. I believe the AC spoiled the game for many people.
Inferno is not for every body (pretty much like every highest difficulty setting in most games). It may prove too much for me (when/if I get there in a few months... lol ) but too many people got there too fast imho.

Well I've strong mixed feeling with the game, it got many things right, it can be really satisfying.
On the other side, the affixes systems is broken or close to be, the lag is bothering (I would never try to roll an hardcore character).
I also think that most levels are too tiny not enough to explore. Level should be bigger with an indicator for the main quest so you know where you are heading but you could ignore it and explore. There isn't much too explore. THe lack of secondary quests, significant ones, is one of the game main lacking to me, even more than un balance in Inferno.

In a way it is comforting to know that even Blizzard can make mistakes.

Yeah, it's great that one of the largest developer teams in the world have decided to castrate a game's playability/fun/gameplay in exchange for trying to milk their customers on much more than the game's initial price.

I'm feeling much more comfortable knowing that, too.

Just in case some people are late to play the game and doesn't have great stuff, here is the build I used in act 2 nightmare.
Kiting was not cutting it, my damages were to low, melee was no longer an option, add gear that start to be un-optimal...

So it's a high dps build.
left click ray of frost with cold blood
right click disintegrate with chaos nexus
1 diamond skin with crystal shell
2 storm armor + power of storm
3 magic weapon + conduit
4 familiar + spark flint

passive, glass canon + astral presence + galvanizing ward

I don't run out of arcane power, galvanizing ward with health regen helps a lot when you kite.
Another option would be cold blooded.

I've wondered about replacing ray of frost with blizzard, I may experiment with it if my dmg output gets too low (enemies last too long) so it buys me time (so more kiting).

Ray of frost sucks (single target), use blizzard (I like reduced mana cost, others prefer the freezing) and poison hydra with cold blooded. Piercing lightning orb is really good damage as well.

If you're going to kite the most important thing is having boots with speed on them.

Yeah, it's great that one of the largest developer teams in the world have decided to castrate a game's playability/fun/gameplay in exchange for trying to milk their customers on much more than the game's initial price.

I'm feeling much more comfortable knowing that, too.
Did I hit a nerve? :)

here is the build I used in act 2 nightmare.
While I still played D3, I had a rather nice wizard build. I just piled everything that was damage on top of each other. ^^

I used familiar + extra damage, magic weapon whatsitscalled + extra damage, chain lightning + extra chaining, disintegrating beam + beam splitting, meteor + lowered cost (4 meteors for the price of 2) and hydra of some sort, can't remember which one. Lightning or arcane I think it was. Passives was glass cannon, the one that regens arcane power when using certain spells, and something else which I can't remember now.

I bought gear from the AH and gemmed it with the biggest gems I could make, result was I waded through pretty much all enemies in act 3. If they weren't fried by my beam/chain lightning before they reached me then they got a bunch of meteors in the head and were soon toast.

Extra-chainy chain lightning was also awesome for getting really long object breaking streaks, I think my record was close to 60 objects. :D

Nope, just making a small follow-up to your sarcasm.

I'm assuming it was sarcasm because otherwise it'd have been just a ludicrous comment.
You are equating relief that Blizzard has shown they are human with glee that they have failed.

You are equating relief that Blizzard has shown they are human with glee that they have failed.

Failed?
The game was an astounding success, Blizzard probably made hundreds of millions with the game.

Too bad that Blizzard probably milked the franchise dry and won't be able to sell another game on the series, but who cares?
A half a dozen of decent sequels from other IPs wouldn't have produced this much money in a decade!

I'm sure it'll now serve as an example for many publishers throughout the world on how to make more money from games, at the cost of destroying franchises and alienating some customers (the market is growing, so that's not a big deal).

Blizzard: +10
Gamers: - 80

Failed?
The game was an astounding success, Blizzard probably made hundreds of millions with the game.

Too bad that Blizzard probably milked the franchise dry and won't be able to sell another game on the series, but who cares?
A half a dozen of decent sequels from other IPs wouldn't have produced this much money in a decade!

I'm sure it'll now serve as an example for many publishers throughout the world on how to make more money from games, at the cost of destroying franchises and alienating some customers (the market is growing, so that's not a big deal).

Blizzard: +10
Gamers: - 80
Failed the gamers. Sorry for the omission.

Well I tried TQ IM really late on onlive. Many thinks may have been fixed since it launched.
I would say that the game is may be a bit tougher in normal difficulty. For example the minotaur was a pain in the @@@ for me and my build.
But the game is pretty rich, many classes and combinations. A side effect is you can messed up you build. I for one did by leveling mastery to fast... and that points can't be re-rolled.

You can reset your skill points at one of those mystic guys for a fee.

Back