Diablo III - It's official

Really, what gets me on the nerves isn't the people who complain or the people who don't complain: it's those who try to stop others from complaining.
Who try to do that?

Always-online DRM always sucks, always. Technical difficulties, software glitches and internet terrorism all stand in the way of your ability to play the game, and in many cases, pirates - whom are the actual reason for the DRM - aren't even hindered by it because they play cracked versions of the game.

Now that said, D3 has some aspects that mitigate the suckiness of its DRM, for example Battle.net social aspect with its ability to find your friends easily if they're online, even in another (current) Blizzard game, all your characters available from anywhere and any computer with D3 installed on it, all current and synched up without having to manually copy save files every time, and an easy way to find other people to play with, any time. Plus the auction house, if you care about such things.

Back when D2 launched I did not have broadband, so I played offline from the launch of the game until december that year (2000, for those who don't remember that far back :)), then I switched to battle.net, permanently. It simply was like 50x more fun to play with others than just all me by myself. Even a fairly poorly balanced and badly thought-through game like D2 was at launch was a lot more fun in multiplayer, because there were some basic synergies between classes (most of it hinging on the barb and the pally, and later the druid).

So playing online always was always my intention, from day one. I don't really care about the always-online DRM in D3, because that's how I want to play the game. Of course, when the game glitches and doesn't want to let me on I get annoyed, but the same glitches happened in D2 too. Realms went up and down like 5-dollar hookers, you got booted out repeatedly, your character rolled back without apparant cause or explanation, you got stuck on loading screens for two minutes only to be booted back out to the lobby, and so on.

Glitching is part and parcel of this game genre, unfortunately.

Now, I understand not everyone reasons the way I do, and it sucks when anyone suffers because of always-online DRM, but at the same time, you also have to understand why Blizzard wants to protect its investment. If Ubi says you need to sell millions of copies of a game that cost $50M to just break even, well, think about how much this game might have cost to develop. They've been actively working on it for six years, and the team's most likely quite large. So it cost a lot of money, no doubt. Just the voice cast budget must have been quite substantial, considering the amount of speech that's in there, in like six languages or somesuch.

So piracy would have been a big problem for them, if they hadn't gone the online-only route.

I've been spending all my money on upgrading blacksmith. Is that a waste of money?

Probably not in the long run, but I certainly wished he would at least be able to create something worthwhile for characters that haven't reached hell mode yet. Until that happens, using the auction house is an infinitely cheaper alternative. Even crafting "adept" stuff (which drops left and right anyway) gets rather pricey as you usually have to do it several times over because your random magic stats end up sucking.

blacksmith remain his lvl even if u switch chars. So if you planning to play later on new char after finishing game you dont need to start over just grab some mats and you are ready to craft :).

They've been actively working on it for six years, and the team's most likely quite large. So it cost a lot of money, no doubt. Just the voice cast budget must have been quite substantial, considering the amount of speech that's in there, in like six languages or somesuch.

Did it cost a lot of money?
Are we definitely sure about that?
Looking at the developments of Torchlight 2 and Grim Dawn with so little funds available, and how so many people have beem complaining about the poor narrative in D3 (since it's now an "online game" and all), I wonder if the game did cost all that much to make (or to maintain, to that matter).

So piracy would have been a big problem for them, if they hadn't gone the online-only route.

Skyrim has just proven that wrong, hasn't it?
The RMAH should be a much stronger, real reason than piracy, at the moment.

You might generalize a bit too much, it's fine for us (4 people) and we're all in europe...

(Although that game really needs more salt, it's quite bland after 25 hours.)

Considering the game servers for Europe were all down for a rather lengthy period on Sunday, the only way it could have been fine for you and your friends was if you didn't want to play at that time anyway. That's really besides the point, though.

Considering the game servers for Europe were all down for a rather lengthy period on Sunday, the only way it could have been fine for you and your friends was if you didn't want to play at that time anyway. That's really besides the point, though.

None of us was playing at the time indeed, I only read the servers were down, not bothered looking for how long... ^^

Enjoying the game but lag is bothering. I find 1/5 pretty noticeable especially as characters are fragile things.
Pretty much my only serious complain but a bothering one. Hardcore players may quit sooner than latter.

If you wanna play hardcore in D3 you better focus on health gear if you reliably want to get past act 2... Also, leech gear, health on monster kill, and so on.

Neither my wizard or solo demon hunter have finished act 2 without dying at least once. Well, technically I'm not out of act 2 with the DH yet, but I still died once already to a random boss pack that pulled me in, and then I got - from what it looked like - 1shot by the boss and possibly other mobs as well. There's no combat log in D3 from what I can tell so it's hard to tell exactly what's going on.

Damage in D3 generally is EXTREMELY spiky; it's either completely manageable 95+ percent of the time, and when it isn't it's like Whoah, holy crap! That's rather disappointing to me personally, but it's not enough of an issue to be a problem when I play together with my barb mate. He's got over 2000 life at level 25, and we're totally cleaning the monsters' clocks at the moment. Only problem is we don't get more than 2-2.5 hours of playtime per session... :( This limits our progress quite a bit.

I'm not even gonna bother trying hardcore, but given the damage spikes as you noticed, I think people trying will get upset rather quickly.

You can also 'break' the item for essence and you'll get the gem back that way.

I don't think hardcore normal would be that bad provided you're all twinked out from a character that has played through inferno or from the AH. Normal is easy with crap gear, and ridiculously easy with good gear. The only things that provide real challenges are the champion packs, and you can usually just run away from those if you get in over your head. That said, I'm not sure I see the point of hardcore, and I wouldn't bother as long as the game remains online only. I wouldn't like investing hours to something that you could lose because blizzards servers crap out and your ping hits 2k (as it does all too often).

And if you think damage is spiky in normal... try inferno. It's not uncommon to get hit for 25k, the butcher hits for closer to 40k on his charges.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-21-diablo-3-accounts-hacked-gold-and-items-stolen BUT MAKING OUR SINGLEPLAYER GAME ONLINE ONLY HAS NO DOWNSIDES!

Seriously, though, not trying to troll, I just had to express my raeg(Not misspelled).

To me, I'd rather it's hard to make counterfeit currency than it's hard to steal things.
Yes, for most people, theft is a bigger problem, but for the society as a whole, counterfeit currency is a much bigger problem. The same goes to in game economy.

They were bouncing servers again early this morning after the 8 hours downtime yesterday morning. And while eating breakfast before work I was checking the AH this morning, wanting to move stuff I'd sold to my stash, and it was dead in the water timing out on anything I tried to do.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-21-diablo-3-accounts-hacked-gold-and-items-stolen BUT MAKING OUR SINGLEPLAYER GAME ONLINE ONLY HAS NO DOWNSIDES!

Seriously, though, not trying to troll, I just had to express my raeg(Not misspelled).

Downsides as a result of being an online game but of course caused by assholes who just want to hack Blizzard and players accounts. You'll probably find that a bunch of the downtime as been to address hacking and exploits by players.

Back