Canada leaders accept gay marriage ruling

Natoma said:
No I'm saying that if you take a born female, and pair her up with a transgendered female (someone who was male but is now female), there is a chance of reproduction taking place.

So, in other words, you are involving an artificial changing of sexual orientation, and applying it to "natural?"

I don't recall "sex changes via operations" occurring in nature.

Every time you try and "debunk" my "fundamentally flawed" definition, you try and insert some artificial means to do it. Absurd, wouldn't you say?

Joe DeFuria said:
I didn't change any definition. I used one of several provided. Read my post again.

You stated:

Joe DeFuria said:
Interestingly, dictionary.com also supplies one (of several) definitions of "nature"

"The processes and functions of the body. "

Last time I checked, heterosexual intercourse has a bodily function of reproduction. Without it, we could not continue as a species. Homosexual intercourse serves no similar bodily function.

End of story. Homosexuality is not natural.

Homosexual intercourse was never meant to serve the function of reproduction. However, it does have a function of providing pleasure for the individuals engaged in the activity, as does heterosexual activity.

Generation of pleasure is also a bodily function.

Checkmate.

Joe DeFuria said:
Until then, your definition of natural is invalid.

Wrong. Our definitions of natural are different.

Wrong. My definition, whatever occurs in nature is natural, is supported in every instance. Your *interpretation* of one of the definitions falls apart in certain instances. See above.

No I'm saying that if you take a born female, and pair her up with a transgendered female (someone who was male but is now female), there is a chance of reproduction taking place.

The odds are *very* slim, but they are definitely greater than 0. Even if it is statistically small, almost infinitesimally so.

Wrong. The odd are 0%. Get it? It wount work. Period.

Joe DeFuria said:
Natoma said:

So, in other words, you are involving an artificial changing of sexual orientation, and applying it to "natural?"

I don't recall "sex changes via operations" occurring in nature.

Every time you try and "debunk" my "fundamentally flawed" definition, you try and insert some artificial means to do it. Absurd, wouldn't you say?

According to *your* definition of natural, there is *no* mention of transgendered beings not fitting the bill of a same-sex being. You just said same sex human. You said *nothing* about whether they are transgendered.

Apropos, your definition is incorrect, because it can be circumvented quite easily and does not fit all cases.

Natoma said:
Homosexual intercourse was never meant to serve the function of reproduction.

No kidding?

However, it does have a function of providing pleasure for the individuals engaged in the activity, as does heterosexual activity.

The FUNCTION of heterosexual activity is not to provide pleasure. Pleasure is the means by which sexual activity is driven, for the function of reproduction.

No, pleasure is a side effect of the function that ensures human offspring.

Checkmate.

Lol...keep on declaring yourself the "winner". ;) That's rich!

BTW, isn't this about the time where you start to talk about "how all your friends and colleagues agree with you" on this matter? I've been waiting for it for quite some time now.

Yes. My definition, whatever occurs in nature is natural, is supported in every instance.

And so is mine.

Now I'm going to go all demalion on your asses!

This definition:
If you randomly pick out a male and a female from the whole population of humans on the planet earth, and put them toegether in a sexual relationship, it's POSSIBLE to have offspring as the result. You might "pick" an infertile person (resulting in no child), a female who's 90 (resulting in no child), etc. But you WILL at some point pick a pairing that will result in offspring.

If you randomly pick out two same sex individuals from the whole population, put them in a sexual relationship, you will NEVER have offspring as the result. No matter how many pairings you choose, offspring will NEVER result.

The difference between "natual sexual relationship" and "unnatural sexual relationship", by my definition, is the difference between POSSIBLE and NEVER.

of natural may be very meaningful to you but is in fact useless in this argument because it is circular. If you are going to say "Homosexuality is not natural" and then when people bring facts to argue with you, claim that your definition of a "natural" sexual relationship is "one that is not homosexual" you end up sounding pretty unreasonable.

To illustrate its circularity once and for all, and to attempt to minimize bootless future semantic arguments, I am going to try and restate the central idea of your definition in more formal terms as Theorem 1:

Code:
Suppose you have two populations,  A + B.  A sexual relationship between a member of A and a member of B may be considered "natural" if and only if there exists at least one member of A, Ax, and one member of B, By, such that a sexual relationship between Ax and By could result in offspring in the customary way.

This is an interesting premise with many possible ramifications, depending on how you define the populations A + B. If you define A as Joe de Furia, and B as "Any sheep", you get a conclusion that I think most of us would agree with :)

However, Theorem 1 clearly breaks down depending on how you define the populations. If you define A as "all men" and B as "post-menopausal women" you would seem to indicate that any sexual relationship between a man and a post-menopausal woman would be unnatural.

Given the many possible counter-examples, why shouldn't we just reject Theorem 1 as unworkable? Instead, a refinement of Theorem 1 is offered, Theorem 2:

Code:
[Theorem 1] where the populations A + B each consist of all the members of a single species of a single gender.

Theorem 2 is convenient for some because while it makes unnatural all homosexual relationships and inter-species relationships, it allows all heterosexual intra-species relationships, even those that themselves could not result in offspring.

I'd like to offer an alternative refinement of Theorem 1, Theorem 3.

Code:
[Theorem 1] where the populations A + B each consist of all the members of a single species.

My question to the Theorem 2 fans out there is this: what logical reason, independent from a pre-existing conviction that homosexuality is unnatural, would you use to pick Theorem 2 over Theorem 3?

In other words, insisting that Theorem 2 is preferable to Theorem 3 is no different than saying "Homosexuality is unnatural because I define 'natural' to not include homosexuality."

What you've done is offer a non-circular but fatally flawed definition of "natural" as it applies to sexual relationships [Theorem 1] and elide it with a harder-to-argue with, yet circular, definition [Theorem 2]. I've tried to make this as clear as possible although I suspect my explanation may still have gone past some of you.

I respect your right to define "natural" and "unnatural" any way you choose, for religious or other reasons. However, you shouldn't delude yourself that facts or logic support a judgment that arises from your own prejudice.

Silent_One said:

The odds are *very* slim, but they are definitely greater than 0. Even if it is statistically small, almost infinitesimally so.

Wrong. The odd are 0%. Get it? It wount work. Period.

Really. So a transgender female (someone who was once male) has no ability to reproduce with a born female?

You must not know how transgender operations work then. Someone is considered transgender once they begin taking hormones and dressing themselves as the opposite sex.

The operation to remove the body parts does *not* have to be completed yet. Again, dictionary.com to the rescue:

Transgender:

"Appearing as, wishing to be considered as, or having undergone surgery to become a member the opposite sex."

Joe DeFuria said:
Natoma said:
Homosexual intercourse was never meant to serve the function of reproduction.

No kidding?

Just stating it for the record. There are children on these forums you know, and they might not understand everything. :)

Joe DeFuria said:
However, it does have a function of providing pleasure for the individuals engaged in the activity, as does heterosexual activity.

The FUNCTION of heterosexual activity is not to provide pleasure. Pleasure is the means by which sexual activity is driven, for the function of reproduction.

Lower life forms reproduce without pleasure. In fact in some life forms, reproduction is quite painful. See cats for instance. The male penis has barbs that when pulled out of the female's vagina, rips and tears at her insides.

That's why when you see nature shows, the female cat is always swiping at the male after he pulls out.

So in humans, ONE of the FUNCTIONS of sexual intercourse is to provide pleasure. Oral sex? Kissing? Anal Sex? Vaginal sex? They all provide pleasure. Only one can produce procreation.

Yet they all occur in nature, and are thus natural.

Joe DeFuria said:

No, pleasure is a side effect of the function that ensures human offspring.

See above.

Joe DeFuria said:
Checkmate.

Lol...keep on declaring yourself the "winner". ;) That's rich!

BTW, isn't this about the time where you start to talk about "how all your friends and colleagues agree with you" on this matter? I've been waiting for it for quite some time now.

No need. You're trying to fight your way out of a corner against English Canon. And you say I'm being stubborn. :LOL:

Joe DeFuria said:
Yes. My definition, whatever occurs in nature is natural, is supported in every instance.

And so is mine.

Again, see above.

Natoma said:
According to *your* definition of natural, there is *no* mention of transgendered beings not fitting the bill of a same-sex being. You just said same sex human. You said *nothing* about whether they are transgendered.

Apropos, your definition is incorrect, because it can be circumvented quite easily and does not fit all cases.

Sigh....

First of all, I have seen no evidence that same sex transgenered couples can conceive offspring.

Second, if you don't accept the implied fact that any "artificial" means of trying to circumvent my definition is NOT VALID, you're just hopeless.

Hey, I can take a rat out of the wild, and scientifically graft human skin on it. I let this rat back out "into the wild." That rat is now occurring in nature...therefore skin grafts are natural? That's by YOUR defintion of natural, and your acceptance that artificial interference is acceptable.

Edit: to be clear: you took a naturally occuring male "out of the wild", artificially changed the sexual orientation, and then set her back "into the wild". And that's supposed to have some bearing on the "naturalness" of the situation?

Gimme a break. Use that gray matter of yours.

Lower life forms reproduce without pleasure.

And you know this presumably because you are a lower life form?

In fact in some life forms, reproduction is quite painful. See cats for instance. The male penis has barbs that when pulled out of the female's vagina, rips and tears at her insides.

So, there is no pleasure at all involved in feline reproduction?

Natoma said:
So in humans, ONE of the FUNCTIONS of sexual intercourse is to provide pleasure. Oral sex? Kissing? Anal Sex? Vaginal sex? They all provide pleasure.

And all for the ultimate purpose of driving human reproduction.

If two heterosexual couples are both infertile and wish to be married, should they be excluded from marriage b/c they are not 'natural' and cannot produce offspring?

We are kinda splitting hairs here with definitions, and moving away from what should or should not be considered 'legal' in the eyes of the law.

There are certain theories about why homosexuality occurs from an evolutionary standpoint, and know that its hotly contested in academia. But maybe its best if I left that can of worms closed.

antlers said:
I respect your right to define "natural" and "unnatural" any way you choose, for religious or other reasons. However, you shouldn't delude yourself that facts or logic support a judgment that arises from your own prejudice.

Tell that to Natoma...

Joe DeFuria said:
Natoma said:

Sigh....

First of all, I have seen no evidence that same sex transgenered couples can conceive offspring.

Second, if you don't accept the implied fact that any "artificial" means of trying to circumvent my definition is NOT VALID, you're just hopeless.

Again, dictionary.com to the rescue:

Transgender:

"Appearing as, wishing to be considered as, or having undergone surgery to become a member the opposite sex."

So you can be considered transgender *if* you wish to be considered transgender. And you do *not* have to have undergone *any* artificial surgery or hormone therapy to fit that bill.

Someone is considered transgender as soon as they make the decision to *become* transgender, and wish those in society to consider them as such, courtesy of Webster. So yes, "same sex" scenarios can produce children.

You want to argue semantics? Bring it on.

Really. So a transgender female (someone who was once male) has no ability to reproduce with a born female?

You must not know how transgender operations work then. Someone is considered transgender once they begin taking hormones and dressing themselves as the opposite sex.

The operation to remove the body parts does *not* have to be completed yet. Again, dictionary.com to the rescue:

Transgender:

"Appearing as, wishing to be considered as, or having undergone surgery to become a member the opposite sex.

Gee I must take things too literaly. I thought a transgender female was, as you say "someone who was once male", as in no longer a male. Now were talking biology here not someone "wishing to be considered as....a member the opposite sex" If the operation is complete, and thats what you were inferring, then I repeat, the chances are ZERO.

Joe DeFuria said:
antlers said:

Tell that to Natoma...

I go by what is defined by Webster. Webster states that anything found in nature is natural. That is a very broad definition that encompasses everything. You are trying to get a very narrow definition which fails in certain circumstances and interpretations, simply because of your own prejudices and biases.

My definition does not.

Fred said:
If two heterosexual couples are both infertile and wish to be married, should they be excluded from marriage b/c they are not 'natural' and cannot produce offspring?

We are kinda splitting hairs here with definitions, and moving away from what should or should not be considered 'legal' in the eyes of the law.

There are certain theories about why homosexuality occurs from an evolutionary standpoint, and know that its hotly contested in academia. But maybe its best if I left that can of worms closed.

Welcome to my world. :)

Btw, I know what theories you speak of with regard to evolution. I read them a couple of years ago. Some of the hypotheses are very intriguing, such as the overpopulation/population hindrance theory.

However, that wouldn't necessarily explain homosexuality in ancient times as the population of the human race was very very small, even for mammalian standards.

Silent_One said:

Transgender:

"Appearing as, wishing to be considered as, or having undergone surgery to become a member the opposite sex.

Gee I must take things too literaly. I thought a transgender female was, as you say "someone who was once male", as in no longer a male. Now were talking biology here not someone "wishing to be considered as....a member the opposite sex" If the operation is complete, and thats what you were inferring, then I repeat, the chances are ZERO.

I've inferred nothing. Once you wish to be considered by society as a member of the opposite sex, you are transgender, according to webster. It is you who inferred my meaning. That is not my fault. ;)

"someone who was once male" is a perfectly valid statement to make according to the construct of the word "Transgender" as stipulated in English Canon. What I have stated is neither false nor misleading, but merely a statement of fact.

Joe DeFuria said:
antlers said:

Tell that to Natoma...

Does "as found in nature" arise from prejudice? I thought it arose from the dictionary...

I go by what is defined by Webster. Webster states that anything found in nature is natural. That is a very broad definition that encompasses everything. You are trying to get a very narrow definition which fails in certain circumstances and interpretations, simply because of your own prejudices and biases.

My definition does not.

Oh, I see, a "mine's better than your's" argument. So all other definitions are invalid. :rolleyes:

Back