Diablo III - It's official

It's an acceptable excuse.

No its not
Let me give you an analogy
Imagine I sell you a lifetime license to park your car in my garage, but for whatever reason I wont give you the key. Instead you can knock at my door and i'll come out and unlock the garage for you.
At some point in time I cant just decide hey I cant be bothered answering the door anymore.
Same with E.A If running a server is costing them money tough, they should of thought about that before deciding to make it a requirement

So what stops them from pathing in changes to not require always-online when they take down the servers (in a cople o decades or so :p)

I think the discussion here is heading to a dead-end, instead think about this: if Blizzard themselves say DRM/Piracy had no bearing on the decision to go on-line only and that it was solely player convenience then they'll surely won't mind putting a second button on the caracter creation screen that says "If you press this you'll never be able to play with this caracter online!". If they have a problem with this then the decision _was_ influenced by DRM/Piracy.

So what stops them from pathing in changes to not require always-online when they take down the servers (in a cople o decades or so :p)
Absolutely nothing.

In fact, this will probably prove the DRM theory when they offer this patch only a year or so after release.

First of all Diablo 2 and 3 is not a online game. I played Diablo 2 offline , sometimes alone, sometimes with my brother trough lan.
U have just small instances where u enter with few players, which could be done trough lan like in diablo 2. U cant compare this to any MMO. Its just a stupid activision excuse.

And the auction house sounds like a completly retarded idea. Where is the fun in item hunting when u just go to auction house (probably with milions of items from 100k+ players), search the best items for your level and class and BAM. U own every mob and can forget treasure hunting. Just visit auction house later and same again. :devilish: At least the average better items should be cheap enough on AH with so many players trashing the auction house. (gambling wasnt cheap either :rolleyes:)

People actually PLAY UT single player? :confused: And play it MORE than online? That doesn't sound right...
People also play solo in MMO's quite frequently. So why should this surprise you?

Anyway, this discussion is a total red herring anyway because D3 DOES feature single player. It just doesn't offer it in a way that suits you, but that's more of a problem with you than with the game. ;)
Well, yes. I have a problem with draconic DRM. Which this is. Requiring a constant connection for single-player play is beyond pale.

Sorry, I don't want to be rude or insulting, but you do claim to possess the powers of mind reading with regards to the whole lying/DRM bit, so... *shrug*
Yeah, well, there's no other reason to do it. The excuses offered by Blizzard are shallow and blatantly false.

First of all Diablo 2 and 3 is not a online game. I played Diablo 2 offline , sometimes alone, sometimes with my brother trough lan.
U have just small instances where u enter with few players, which could be done trough lan like in diablo 2. U cant compare this to any MMO. Its just a stupid activision excuse.
I actually preferred playing Diablo 2 offline. There were a couple of the aspects of the game that I didn't particularly enjoy, so I cheated slightly. This sort of customization of the game is a complete non-option if they keep it all online, through B-net only servers.

And the auction house sounds like a completly retarded idea. Where is the fun in item hunting when u just go to auction house (probably with milions of items from 100k+ players), search the best items for your level and class and BAM. U own every mob and can forget treasure hunting. Just visit auction house later and same again. :devilish: At least the average better items should be cheap enough on AH with so many players trashing the auction house. (gambling wasnt cheap either :rolleyes:)
I would have to disagree with this one. I don't really like the idea of paying real money, but a vibrant economy with in-game money can work very well.

I would have to disagree with this one. I don't really like the idea of paying real money, but a vibrant economy with in-game money can work very well.

Actualy Diablo3 will have crafting, so AH makes more sense. But i still believe it will change the game completly. It wont be treasure hunting now, but insane AH farming. AH will insanly increase the drop chance for good items and materials, so everything will now revolve around the AH.

On top of that they have real money transactions. It will be the next level in slave farming. :rolleyes: Everyone has its own instance for the whole 24 hours.

Real money transactions for items, characters and accounts has been a reality in online MMO/adventure games since Ultima Online launched in 1997.

Activision might be trying to earn a buck from the real money auction house. So what?

The really good thing is that if you, unlike me, are inclined to pay real money for items, you no longer need to enter your credit card information into a dodgy chinese item shop.

Blizzard is trying to do two things: Fix the in-game currency and streamline trading with the AH. Trading in Diablo 2 is purely based on items because gold is worthless. You hash out the details in one of the trading channels, then create a game and swap items, - or you simply create a game, called something like "Need Ist, offer Zakarum" and sit and wait.

An auction house would make it a lot easier to trade items, just set a minimum bid and a deadline. Look at Forza 3 for the 360 to see how incredible useful it is. And it doesn't wreck the game, - at all. The single most anoying thing in single player D2 was finding a super high level paladin item with your super high level sorcerer.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Actualy Diablo3 will have crafting, so AH makes more sense. But i still believe it will change the game completly. It wont be treasure hunting now, but insane AH farming. AH will insanly increase the drop chance for good items and materials, so everything will now revolve around the AH.

On top of that they have real money transactions. It will be the next level in slave farming. :rolleyes: Everyone has its own instance for the whole 24 hours.
Well, there will definitely be a farming aspect. One bonus for Diablo 3 is that as a player, you would be able to avoid the farmers entirely. The thing that pissed me off about farmers in other MMO's was the fact that they tended to monopolize certain zones and do a lot of kill stealing. Diablo 3 won't have that issue, at least.

As for players being pushed into farming, well, I don't know that that is such a concern. Bear in mind that in Diablo 2, which doesn't have any sort of in-game store, there is still plenty of farming. Ideally most players would get their in-game money by selling the cool items they find along the normal course of the game but don't want to use, and players would be able to get decent (though perhaps not Earth-shattering) gear at all levels, no matter whether or not the drops they got were for their class.

By the way, the other thing I really liked about playing Diablo 2 offline was that I could make use of external tools like ATMA to change gear between my characters, so if I picked up a really cool sorceress item on my barbarian, I could either transfer it to a mule character for storage, or just give it straight to my sorceress if I had one at the time.

By the way, the other thing I really liked about playing Diablo 2 offline was that I could make use of external tools like ATMA to change gear between my characters, so if I picked up a really cool sorceress item on my barbarian, I could either transfer it to a mule character for storage, or just give it straight to my sorceress if I had one at the time.

If you played online, you could do that without 3rd party hack tools. My brother was a D2 fanatic and had multiple lvl 90+ characters and would do that all the time.

I've read both issues of the real currency AH issues, and frankly, I feel a lot of woes could be remedied by the ability to play on a server that lacks the ability to pay for items with real money. That wouldn't eliminate treasure hunting, while maintaining a "vibrant" economy. Unfortunately Blizzard wants a piece of the pie, and this is their answer to releasing a game free of subscriptions. The idea of the auction house forces players who are serious about crafting to either farm items, and make a profit from collecting materials, instead of vendoring certain things that could be potentially valuable to someone else, enchacing the importance of community game play.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a side note, I was wondering today about PvP. Diablo 3 claims to have a "ranked" PvP system, but what exactly does that mean? Will there be a rewards system? Or is it just a ladder system. Personally, I think it would be kinda neat to have rewards for PvP. I'm not really interested in fighting for the sake of fighting, without any real incentive. If Blizzard plans on implementing a rewards system, you can count me in.

If you played online, you could do that without 3rd party hack tools. My brother was a D2 fanatic and had multiple lvl 90+ characters and would do that all the time.
Yeah, by joining a room, dropping the gear on the ground, and returning with the other character. That's not exactly a safe method of transfer.

You could also do it by using a friend, but that is vastly more cumbersome.

Yeah, by joining a room, dropping the gear on the ground, and returning with the other character. That's not exactly a safe method of transfer.

You could also do it by using a friend, but that is vastly more cumbersome.

Password protected room, as good as single player, with the added benefit of the online only content added to the game in patches.

Password protected room, as good as single player, with the added benefit of the online only content added to the game in patches.
Except you'd still need a friend to hold the room open while you switch characters. Otherwise you risk the room disappearing.

Back