Diablo III - It's official

It looks like they literally recycled some of the stone and landscape textures and even some models(candles) straight from WoW.

I was so incredibly excited for this game when it was first anounced, but this new look and seemingly missing classes have taken a lot of the wind out of my sails.

It's a shame the true blizz north team doesn't have rights to the IP any longer, I feel they would have truly done the game the justice it deserves.

I'm almost certain that you haven't seen Wow lately!:smile:
The art directions is what it is, some of us like it, some don't. But the graphics are not recycled from older Blizzard games...

When I saw the first video I was like, em, okeyyyy. But that new video of the wizard realy sold it for me!
Now I'm hyped. That's a bad thing:oops:
'Cause it's Blizzard and it's Diablo... I should know better. But, I can't help it!!!

Interesting comments from Jay Wilson on monetizing certain unannounced aspects of Battle.net 2.0 because that will allow Blizzard the financial assets needed to develop them. That's about as believable as I don't know what, the suggestion that Blizzard can't afford the manhours without charging for it. At least please add VoIP support.

I saw some completely badass videos today featuring the wizard:

Wizard in action: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/277431.html

Wizard gameplay: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/277270.html

Wizard talents and skill runes: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/277234.html

I read somewhere that Blizzard was anticipating disapproval of their latest class announcement. Who isn't interested in this?! Even I'm excited to play a wizard and I'm a melee fan. That illusion talent is outstanding! I wonder if potions are the only way to rely on mana, though. I'd like some type of mana gathering process during a break you take, i.e taking a drink in WoW.

Just because there was no support from Blizzard overtly, D2 had a fair number of mods. Playing on bnet on the other hand might be another matter entirely.

We can expect the next class announcements at the upcoming Blizzcon, here's an article from Bluesnews:

"Blizzard announces August 21-22 as the dates for the 2009 edition of BlizzCon, the Blizzard-focused gaming convention. Details like ticket pricing are not announced yet, but here is what they are revealing:
IRVINE, Calif. -- February 17, 2009 -- Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced plans for its fourth BlizzCon® gaming convention, to be held at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California on Friday, August 21 and Saturday, August 22. BlizzCon is a celebration of the global player communities surrounding Blizzard Entertainment®’s Warcraft®, StarCraft®, and Diablo® universes. In response to the festival’s increasing popularity, this year’s event has been expanded from three convention halls to four.

“We’ve been amazed by the incredible response to each of our previous BlizzCon events,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “We’re pleased to be bringing the convention back to Anaheim this year, and we look forward to this new opportunity to meet Blizzard gamers from around the world.”

BlizzCon will offer a wide variety of activities throughout the two-day event. In addition to serving as a gathering place for Blizzard Entertainment gaming communities, attendees will be able to enjoy:

• Hands-on play time with upcoming Blizzard Entertainment games
• Discussion panels with Blizzard Entertainment developers
• Competitive and casual tournaments for players to showcase their talents
• Community contests with great prizes
• Commemorative merchandise based on Blizzard Entertainment’s game universes
• A silent auction
• More exciting activities and attractions to be announced

Further details, including ticket availability and pricing, will be announced on the official BlizzCon website, www.blizzcon.com, as the event draws closer."

It's typical Blizzard fashion to steal the show of a convention with news about their games. Unfortunately it's in August. So the likelihood of reading about a class announcement before then through a gaming website is slim to none. If we're lucky, they'll announce the final two classes at the same time, instead of making us wait another 6-8 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bleh, just looked at the wizard videos. This is looking more like World of Warcraft single player edition. :( I've gone from incredibly excited from the original announcement to...bleh...

Maybe I'll see something that makes me think more of Diablo and less of WoW in later previews...

Seems to be Diablo 3 is going to be less of a "world is in imminent danger of coming to an end while doom covers the land everywhere" to a "nice colorful and fun and lighthearted romp through a non-doomed world."

What the hell are they thinking? The setting was always a dark and doomed hell on earth scenario with horror elements. Not a warm and fuzzy feeling color coordinated romp. :p

Makes me wonder if Doom 4 (I know different company) will be a nice multi-colored FPS set in a kindergarden romper room so they can show off their ability to color coordinate themes.

Regards,
SB

Bleh, just looked at the wizard videos. This is looking more like World of Warcraft single player edition. :( I've gone from incredibly excited from the original announcement to...bleh...

Maybe I'll see something that makes me think more of Diablo and less of WoW in later previews...

Seems to be Diablo 3 is going to be less of a "world is in imminent danger of coming to an end while doom covers the land everywhere" to a "nice colorful and fun and lighthearted romp through a non-doomed world."

What the hell are they thinking? The setting was always a dark and doomed hell on earth scenario with horror elements. Not a warm and fuzzy feeling color coordinated romp. :p

Makes me wonder if Doom 4 (I know different company) will be a nice multi-colored FPS set in a kindergarden romper room so they can show off their ability to color coordinate themes.

Regards,
SB

That's Blizzard answer to you :

And I fully support Blizzard, Diablo 3 looks incredible, and I want it to stay that way.

A cluster of dark priests standing around sacrifices who explode and form into a bloated demon is hardly kindergarten romper-room stuff. Personally, I like the art direction. It's recognizable as Blizzard's and to me that's a good thing.

I like the new art direction. I don't know why so many people are upset over it, when Blizzard clearly has a reputation for making games with a similar design. What bothers me the most is I read a lot of people who automatically brand the game negatively soley because of the art, while in the same breath will argue to the death about gameplay before graphics.

I'm a hardcore D2 fan, been playing it since it came out and I have no problem with the art direction of D3. I'm just happy there's even going to be a D3.

Back