Diablo III - It's official

D2 sold 4 M copies worldwide where WoW has sold over 10 M, so saying the argument makes "no sense at all" is nonsense. The fact is that the art direction has changed, whether you see it or not many thousands of others do, and it was done for a reason. That one makes as good sense as any. Your second point there ties in to the first one, it's a valid point, but in no way negates the other.

D2 sold those units half a decade before WoW... back when most people never played it online, and the total gaming market was smaller.

D2 sold 4 M copies worldwide where WoW has sold over 10 M, so saying the argument makes "no sense at all" is nonsense. The fact is that the art direction has changed, whether you see it or not many thousands of others do, and it was done for a reason. That one makes as good sense as any. Your second point there ties in to the first one, it's a valid point, but in no way negates the other.

D2 was a rated M game, the trailer seemed to indicate that was staying simply by the amount of blood and the Barbarian getting its head ripped off. I also specifically mentioned NA for a reason, at the time the Chinese gaming market (where around 4M copies of WoW are played) was far less than it is now. Changing the graphics to be more "cartoony" would not help sales in any truly meaningful way.

You mean a blurry ugly 800x600 2D game?

No.

I was referring to the "dark and gritty" aspect of diablo. Obviously the use of colors here for example can really dictate whether or not the game is that. In this case, D3 feels and looks cartoony.

It cracks me up how you say this as if it were fact :p

Because it is a fact. It's likely going to be a M rated game, it already has a player base, it's not an MMO, it's about demons and satan, etc, and it's story has a serious overtone. Yeah... right up that alley of light fun. Cartoony graphics would help it in no way.

Not cartoony but "WoWy". If half of the WoW players buy the game it will be a huge success. It is as simple as that. For me Blizzard used to be "the company which made Diablo", for the last couple of years they have transformed to "the company which made WoW". I know that Warcraft was even before Diablo, but I came to know them with their Diablo franchise and I believe many people was the same.

Times are changing.

Not cartoony but "WoWy". If half of the WoW players buy the game it will be a huge success. It is as simple as that. For me Blizzard used to be "the company which made Diablo", for the last couple of years they have transformed to "the company which made WoW". I know that Warcraft was even before Diablo, but I came to know them with their Diablo franchise and I believe many people was the same.

Times are changing.

And a cartoony look is going to help them? A significant portion of the WoW player base will buy it because they bought Diablo 2. I'm sorry, but an extremely few people play WoW because of cartoony graphics and a even fewer would buy Diablo 3 because of it, next to none even.

Times are changing.

World of warcraft graphics were based on warcraft III which sold a measly 3 million. Perhaps they should have based the graphics on something more popular like the sims, tetris or super mario and then there would be 100 million subscribers for WoW.

It bears some basic resemblance to WoW because they have probably tasked many of the same artists. If they wanted to cash in on WoWs popularity they'd do a lot more than change the palette.

Define many people? 100? 10000? enough for blizzard to care? Probably not.

It looks like they literally recycled some of the stone and landscape textures and even some models(candles) straight from WoW.

I was so incredibly excited for this game when it was first anounced, but this new look and seemingly missing classes have taken a lot of the wind out of my sails.

It's a shame the true blizz north team doesn't have rights to the IP any longer, I feel they would have truly done the game the justice it deserves.

It looks like they literally recycled some of the stone and landscape textures and even some models(candles) straight from WoW.

I was so incredibly excited for this game when it was first anounced, but this new look and seemingly missing classes have taken a lot of the wind out of my sails.

It's a shame the true blizz north team doesn't have rights to the IP any longer, I feel they would have truly done the game the justice it deserves.

You're kidding? The game is hardly in any state, you couldn't even call it alpha at this point. It's two years out. They won't announce all the classes until some time along, months apart. You're also really stretching with the models and textures. Seriously, how many ways can you make a candle look cartoony? I hardly ever do this but your post and others in a similar tone get nothing but a :rolleyes: from me. This is likely the reason Blizzard never did Diablo 3 until now. They didn't want to deal with making another sequel to a series that could have gone off into history as being perfect.

I'm going to briefly interrupt the bickering about the art direction (which in my opinion is bloody beautiful by the way) with my thoughts on this game. First let me say: Yes! Finally!

Ok then, that's out of the way. I've been waiting for Blizzard to announce Diablo 3 for forever and I'm glad to see that they didn't screw it up in any monumental way. It's not World of Diablo (i.e. an MMO). Phew, dodged that bullet. No retarded 1st person/3rd person view like Hellgate London either. Awesome. Still looks like Diablo plus a tad more colour perhaps, but some of the screenshots (in the dungeon areas in particular) look very Diablo to me.

Some other random bits I noticed: you can now select the gender of your character (ok, so it's easier in a 3d game, but still something that always annoyed me a little in Diablo 2). Lot's of nice attention to detail like cloth simulation on the drapes in the dungeon, and very cool breakable terrain. All in all, I can't wait to get my hands on this.

OK, now that's said, please resume your regularly scheduled "Does Diablo 3 look too much like WoW or not?" argument. ;)

Blizz better ante up and announce some new classes at Blizzcon this year....

I noticed in one of new screenshots there's visible damage taken to the character, which I read about in an earlier interview. Apparently there will be damage decals which is pretty neat:

http://www.diablofans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13264

Last edited by a moderator:
Back