760i vs. 780i?

D3v0ur3r

Regular
I find myself in the position of owning both here in a short while (long story). So right now I have the 760i installed & the 780i is on the way which I can't stop or return (its a RMA replace). Can anyone explain the differences to me? The 760i is running fine but the 780i has a better board layout (imo) but I am actually dreading having to completely pull everything out to put in the 780i just after building this comp last week & all the issues I had.

Is it worth going from 760i to 780i & what are the differences?

The mobo's are.
MSI P7N DIAMOND 775 780I SLI
EVGA 680i SLI 775 T1 Version

Better SLI support (read tri-SLI) and *maybe* better overclocking potential would be the only real differences aside from checkbox features like another ethernet port or some nonsense.

In reality its not a major jump especially if the 760i is made well don't do it unless you have plans for tri-sli.... if i were to upgrade and want an significant performance increase i would go for a 790i with ddr3 of course the price is insane.

Hadn't really thought about tri-sli but I wonder how good that would be with 8800 GT's. Anyway the mobo is tempting just for the layout & possible extra features. But the hassles that go along with it may be enough for me to put it aside for a while.

We decided that the refresh that we would do this time was [GeForce] 8800 GT, and this is just a barn burner refresh. We are really proud of the 8800 GT and we are going to put our focus here. From [two GeForce] 8800 GT [graphics cards], you could obviously do SLI and soon you’ll be able to do three-way SLI, so you are going to be able to put a lot of GPU horsepower into your system, starting with a very affordable 8800 GT, and so – this is our focus for now,” Jen-Hsun Huang, the chief executive of Nvidia, said during a question and answer session with financial analysts when asked about a possible “halo” product refresh in 2007.
Don't know is this is true but here is the link to where I read this. http://www.pureoverclock.com/story1607.html

He mis-spoke. The way his comments were phrased I can see how one would interpret tri-SLI would be coming to 8800 GT, but unless he was speaking of software support (i.e. bridge-less SLI, all communication via PCI-e) it's a physical impossibility because 8800 GT PCBs only feature a single SLI connector (two are required for tri-SLI).

DOH! Heh, your right. I hadn't thought about that. K so back on topic. Is there really any other benefits of a 780i chip aside from tri-sli & maybe more bios options?

DOH! Heh, your right. I hadn't thought about that. K so back on topic. Is there really any other benefits of a 780i chip aside from tri-sli & maybe more bios options?

As I said previously, *perhaps* better overclockability (luck of the draw/better chipset cooling). All-in-all, it's not worth it unless you absolutely must have tri-SLI.

Back